Pepsi Throwback

I think the Pepsi Throwback is a better improvement over the Mountain Dew Throwback. The Mt. Dew one is too different. I still enjoyed it, but it didn't taste like Mt. Dew anymore. The Pepsi, however, still tasted like Pepsi...only...better, and lighter. The only way I can really describe it is "cleaner."

Coke doesn't import any pop from Mexico they have no need to when they can bottle it multiple places in the US. However some retailers, mostly low brow hispanic grocery stores get Mexican Coke shipped to them, Coke doesn't work with these people. Any Coke soft drink they have, they probably got at Wal-Mart and are reselling it. I'd watch the exp. dates at these stores because your Coke probably came to the US illegally in the back of an Astro van.
There's a large chain grocery store here in the midwest US (HyVee) that sells glass-bottled Mexican Coke. I forget how much it was over regular Coke, but you could definitely taste the (non-expired) difference.

There's also a difference between sugar beet sugar and sugar cane sugar. I can't remember what has what, but I do remember a side-by-side comparison, being able to taste the difference.

My opinion about regular sugar Coke (I've had British and German) vs American HFCS Coke is once again that the difference is clear, and the sugar Coke is far superior. The difference in my mind, is that when drinking the HFCS version, it tastes as if I'm drinking out of the bladder of a rugby ball, relative to to the clean taste of sugar Coke. This may be a bit difficult for you to understand, as I'm not sure many of you have sniffed the innards of a rugby ball before, so sorry... :p

Just what I thought. The nearest place I can buy this drink is an hour and a half away, over a mountain pass. I should be able to get a sugar Pepsi anywhere, any day, but meh, this is America. :no:

I like the Pepsi Throwback, but the MountainDew Throwback tastes like cheap watered down generic brand MountainDew.

Finally bought a 12 pack of Pepsi and Mountain Dew throwback. Haven't tried the Dew yet, but the Pepsi is nice. a lot more mellow, I can see where people get flat. It's just more smooth, with less bite. To me it has the texture of the fountain Coke I get at the Coke plant, where it's made right. Very smooth, not too much carbonation, almost creamy. I like it.

You can buy real Dr Pepper.

I'd love to try it.

linky

My parents used to, many many years ago, drink Dr. Pepper hot. They described it as very tasty.

Also my father bought a twelve pack of the Throwback. He said that yes, this is how it used to taste.

Well for one, the HFCS increases your risk of diabetes dramatically. Second, products containing HFCS taste worse than their sugar counterparts. Also, HFCS is much harder for your body to fully digest, and is thus more likely to make you fat.

My parents used to, many many years ago, drink Dr. Pepper hot. They described it as very tasty.

Also my father bought a twelve pack of the Throwback. He said that yes, this is how it used to taste.

My Father said that as well

What's so much better for you about sugar rather than HFCS? Arn't they both just empty calories?

Well for one, the HFCS increases your risk of diabetes dramatically. Second, products containing HFCS taste worse than their sugar counterparts. Also, HFCS is much harder for your body to fully digest, and is thus more likely to make you fat.

Exactly. Your body at least recognizes sugar, it sees HFCS and is like omgwtf?!

Fuck high fructose corn syrup.

Your body at least recognizes sugar, it sees HFCS and is like omgwtf?

Can you expand on this? What exalty does that mean?

I had no issue with HFCS before taste-wise, but ever since reading about Pepsi Throwback all I can think of is how much better regular Pepsi could taste.

I believe the structure of HFCS is different than sugar, and so while your body recognises sugar and processes it, your body sees the HFCS and has no idea what to do, so it just stores it. Keep in mind that they have to do a bit of genetic modification in order to produce the HFCS, so it isn't "natural". Sugar is 100% natural.

Last edited:
I've been pretty much convinced that the reason chocolates from the UK and Canada are better than the ones in the States is because of HFCS. May or may not be true.

So how far have they thrown this back to? i.e. When did the taste change or Pepsi stop using sugar

I believe the structure of HFCS is different than sugar, and so while your body recognises sugar and processes it, your body sees the HFCS and has no idea what to do, so it just stores it. Keep in mind that they have to do a bit of genetic modification in order to produce the HFCS, so it isn't "natural". Sugar is 100% natural.

Right. If I remember correctly your body just stores HFCS as fat. It can also cause liver failure. (I have to investigate why though.)

Thats why if you've seen those pro-HFCS commercials on TV, they say its perfectly fine "in moderation." Well, its tough to consume it in "moderation" when its in EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
I've been pretty much convinced that the reason chocolates from the UK and Canada are better than the ones in the States is because of HFCS. May or may not be true.

All the chocolate imported here has anti-melting agents added to it. I don't think the US is hot enough to warrant using it there, but it might be added to imported chocolates to help them survive shipment.

I can find Mexican Coke in the Mexican foods isle of Kroger's here. It's pricier, but worth it for the occasional snort.

I was in search of some Pepsi Throwback at a local grocery store but all they had was Mountain Dew Throwback. So I bought that alongside a bottle of the regular stuff and I have to say, it was like a revelation. With the natural-sugar Dew you could actually fool yourself into thinking that there's real lemons and limes in it - it's far sweeter and since it's less acidic I could drink half the bottle without having to pause and take a breath as my throat and stomach recover from being bombarded.

And I do remember seeing the retro label as a kid, too.

mountaindew.gif