Best of eBay and Craigslist

wanted : anyone willing to donate me any old Merc for free

I was watching that auction on TV as it happened. Didn't surprise me honestly. The majority of the cars they attempt to auction at Mecum have preposterous reserves on the cars set of values they may have been worth 5 years ago before the economy tanked. The cars simply aren't worth the prices their sellers think they are any more. I really don't like Mecum much because they spend two hours auctioning off 30-40 cars and only 5 or 6 actually sell, all the rest bid up to only half the reserves.

I think the problem here was Mecum. If this car were at Barrett Jackson, it would have sold (let's forget for a second B-J is a no reserve auction so every car sells regardless) for the estimate, if not higher.

When people think auto auction they think Barrett Jackson, not Mecum.

wanted : anyone willing to donate me any old Merc for free

I actually have access to a free 1993 Mercedes 300TE. But its here in Massachusetts... sorry.

Was going to put together a north-eastern FG LeMons team, but never got around to it.

I actually have access to a free 1993 Mercedes 300TE. But its here in Massachusetts... sorry.

Was going to put together a north-eastern FG LeMons team, but never got around to it.
is it a manual?

is it a manual?

I have no idea. I've never actually seen it, but I know its wrapped in a tarp, has plants growing in it, and the interior is all rotted out and might have a family of small woodland critters living in the back.... but theoretically the engine will start up after a little bit of care.

The story behind it is that the airbag went off a week after a service, and the driver put it in a small ditch from surprise and shock. After having it towed to a Mercedes dealer, they said that they're not responsible for anything because his SRS light was burnt out and therefore it was his fault. He tried to sue them saying they failed to notice his SRS light problem. Needless to say he couldn't take on their fleet of lawyers.

He ended up parking it in his yard, and that's where its been ever since. He assured me it can start.

:blink:
I'm not sure if i would bother then if it is growing plants...

:blink:
I'm not sure if i would bother then if it is growing plants...

For a LeMons car I'd only need the body, engine, and drivetrain. I'd strip the interior anyways so I don't care.

I just want to learn how to drive a manual, but I need somewhere to sit for that.....

Just rent a manual car for the day to practice.

Not possible in America land. Rentals are only automatics.

America is the land of the automatic.

I'll stick to 3 pedals and a proper gearstick thanks.

*Horrible memories of the Honda Jazz's CVT immediately spring to mind.

Think of the stereotypical, uninterested American. Do you want to confuse him/her even more?

WTF?! Really?

How stupid is that?..:?

I'm willing to bet that at least 75% of Americans don't know how to drive a manual. There's no reason to have manual rental cars when no one is going to use them. Also I'm sure it reduces the amount of money the companies have to pay to have the cars serviced.

I'm willing to bet that at least 75% of Americans don't know how to drive a manual. There's no reason to have manual rental cars when no one is going to use them. Also I'm sure it reduces the amount of money the companies have to pay to have the cars serviced.

I am willing to agree.

The Acura dealership here has maybe 5 manual vehicles (both used and new) out of around 50-75 vehicles. The BMW dealer barely has any manuals as well.

Not possible in America land. Rentals are only automatics.

D:
WHAT since when??!!!
I know my aunt rented a car to learn a manual, but you can't rent until you're 24 so that option was out anyway.

How about Rent-A-Wreck or the like? Surely there's some shitbox Festiva derivative available that's manual?