Your Camera Equipment

400/2.8's are fucking sick. Baller!

Heh doesnt look promising for getting a sharp picture standing like that with the huge lens.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Tokina 11-16mm/2.8 lens ?
I'm considering buying it for my Nikon D300 (I'm looking for a good UWA lens).

f/2.8 and VR means you can handhold it, provided you have enough light and aren't a total weakling.

Also, the 11-16 is very good and will likely be my next buy.

Woah, there's a Norwegian version of Ken Rockwell? Damn! :lol:
No, the Norwegian Ken Rockwell is Bj?rn R?rslett. Difference is that Bj?rn R?rslett REALLY knows what the effing hell he is talking about.

Didn't know that... Mostly because I know nothing about the Canon 18-55mm kit-lens or the Nikon D3x, other than i know it's stupidly expensive.
The EF-S 18-55 has been dreadded for it's crappy-crappy-ness. The D3x has gotten a lot of beef for its price.

Anyway, I was in Oslo the other day and tried a couple of lenses at Japan Photo. I did get to try the 8mm Fisheye, and I have to say that it does create some really interesting perspectives. At it's price it's also a reasonably priced extreme wide angle, I think. I have already seen some frames that would be good with a wide angle. I also tried the 7-14mm wide angle zoom, which distorted the image less, but it's quite massively more expensive at twice the price of the Fisheye. Kind of liked it though, so this can potentially be very expensive.

I also tried some ridiculous lenses, including the 14-35mm F2 which was extremely good but costs an arm and a leg. Over at FotoVideo I tried the 150mm F2 Macro and the 90-250mm F2,8. Now these are extraordinarily good lenses, but they cost about the same as the GDP of a third world country. It's all good fun, but they make my own lenses feel a little crappy afterwards.
Hehehe.. Grats with the 8mm, it's a load of fun. :)

Don't hassle the 14-35, though. According to SLRgear.com, it's as sharp at f/2.0 as it is at f/8.0, across the range. It's a superb lens, and I want one! :D

The 150/2.0 isn't a macro though, and also worth noting it's only as expensive as the 14-35. :p And the 90-250 is a hell of a lens, I do want one of those as well. Gnarl, I need a lot of money.

Not mine, but my classmate got it on loan for a football match. Damn, it's heavy!

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2009/05/16/crt_d3_400mm_f2.8_2x.jpg

Yes, that's an actual CF lens hood. Comes standard.
They usually are. Remember my class got to borrow some glass from the third biggest newspaper in Norway, Dagbladet. We got two 1Dmk2s, two EF 400/2.8L, one Nikkor AF-S 300/2.8 and one Canon EF 300/2.8L IS, and one EF 200/1.8L.

I'm a bit big, so guess who got to hang it over his shoulders when they needed to be moved up a steep hill?

Yeah. Me. :D

Hahaha, what I meant was that there's a Norwegian camera reviewer that does reviews as bad as our buddy Ken. I have the utmost respect for Bjorn, he's awesome.
He truely is.

We do have our own Luminous Landscape as well in paper form, Fotografi. Very, very good reviews.

^ But he has the most hideously awful website :lol:
Kennyboi has a worse site. :p

He's a photographer, not a web designer! :p
Haha, I remember when I attended Dok09 (photojournalistic festival in Oslo), Christopher Morris from VII just blurted out as he was showing some pictures from the VII website; "... man.. our site looks like crap.. any good web designers here in Oslo?". :D

OK, I guess its time for a status report I believe

Currently acquired kit.

ZPREFRONT.JPG

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/al/alok/2009/05/18/Piece_of_glass.jpg
Lens_Nikkor_50mm.jpg

58237.jpg

nikon_dx_nikkor_10.5mm_fisheye_lens_enl.jpg

pic_001_l.jpg

tokina12-24.jpg

sb600.jpg

The worst part is... he doesn't have to pay a cent for all that...

The worst part is... he doesn't have to pay a cent for all that...

If an explanation of this statement doesn't involve the word 'whoring' I will be significantly disappointed.

Or is it because he's making money as a photographer now?

Please pardon the picture quality, it was taken with a cell phone.

090518_232653.jpg

Canon PowerShot S5IS
Canon LA-DC58E Lens Adatper
Canon LH-DC40 Lens Hood
Sunpak 58mm UV Filter
PNY 4GB Optima SDHC card
Sunpak 9002DX tripod
Targus lens pen

When I use software (rarely) I use The Gimp

Yes, I know I am such a noob.

A lot of people here have very nice collections of equipment.

My list is:
- Nikon D70
- Nikon D300
- Nikkor 18-70mm (The D70 kit lens)
- Nikkor 18-200mm VR
- Sigma 105mm/2.8 Macro
- Just ordered a Tokina 11-16mm/2.8. Will be here towards the end of the week.
- SB-600 flash
- Cullmann tripod and monopod

She's a looker, sifu. ;)

If an explanation of this statement doesn't involve the word 'whoring' I will be significantly disappointed.

Or is it because he's making money as a photographer now?

No, I first look for what I want, in this case, the D3, and then I try find someone who needs the kind of pictures I take, or videos for that matter. I then tell them that if they get me what I want, I will give them what they want.

Quite simple. But I do this only with big names in the game, like magazines and big media agencies, because for them, a 4 grand Mac Pro is not really much.

Now I hate him even more...

Aww come on man...

If you are determined enough to get something, I dont think there is jack shit that can come stand in your way.

Will Smith agrees. Actually this particular video was a turning point in my life about a year ago, just about the time when I started taking pics and was constantly getting denials from Hockenheimring and N?rburgring to let me into the press area, behind the fences...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pke9gEZfJXk[/YOUTUBE]

Didn't you have the 50mm and the fisheye already?

Yea, I did, this is all the equipment what I have as of now for permanent keeping :)