Windows 7, so who's tried it?

Don't forget that it wasn't until Q3 2006 that Intel finally released a 64 bit capable notebook CPU in the Merom Core 2 Duo processor, which didn't hit mainstream markets until Q4.

D'oh! You're right. :blush: Also, it seems that the netbook Atoms (N2xx series) don't support 64-bit either. :eek:

Not wanting to mess with any of the computers I actually use, I installed Windows 7 on a 1 GHz Pentium III. This came slightly before 64-bit.

It actually runs ok. Pretty slow, but useable, enough to get an idea of what Windows 7 would be like anyway. Aero works perfectly on my Radeon 9600 too. I really think I will be getting this for my main rig when it comes out, assuming I can do an upgrade install from XP.

I'm using a 3GHz P4 on a mobo that is 64 bit friendly. I just wasn't sure if 32 bit mode meant using a 64 but OS with 32 bit hardware. I wanted to install 7127 this week if I could and just keep the install when I get my new CPU pretty soon. Since that won't work I'll just wait and upgrade both.

EDIT: Has anyone tried running and of the x64 Win7 releases in 32 bit mode? I'm using a 32 bit cpu at the moment, but plan on getting a new one soon and don't want to have to do another reinstall.

Can you use diesel in a gasoline engine powered car even though the platform has an available diesel engine? :p

Can you use diesel in a gasoline engine powered car even though the platform has an available diesel engine? :p

Yes. :p

I remember Fifth Gear doing it with a pair of old Vauxhall Astras ages ago. Both ran fine.

I thought about using the exact same analogy in my post :p

I apologize for my misunderstanding of what '32-bit mode' meant. Moving on, would anyone like to send me $70 so I can get the cpu and install 7127?

Actually, my analogy isn't perfect as a 64bit OS/CPU is capable of running 32bit programs thanks to an emulator of sorts (I think).

By the way:

I have yet to install Win7 for real (was about to do so soon). Should I install official RC1 or this newer thing?

Last edited:
I've migrated to using it on my machines, I think it's fantastic :D

Vista restumped the house
7 decorates it

Viper, install the newest build if you can be arsed to download it. They're all from Microsoft even if they haven't been publicly released, so I don't see why you wouldn't install the latest build if you're bothering to install it at all.

^ I'd stick with the official releases, some of the leaked 7100 ones had trojans in them.

I dunno about 7100, but all the previous ones were clean for me. I got a bunch in between the official beta and RC1.

By the way:

No new features are added in after 7100. So you can either download 7127, or just go ahead with 7100 RC.

I'm running x64 7100 on my main PC, with the TCPZ emulator patch and deso to sign the files I need.

Well, Adu said there's a lot less debugging software with it so it should run faster than 7100.

Meh, my PC is fast. Official RC1 will do. :)

Running 7127 on this laptop right now. Had to plug into the network because it couldn't install the wifi drivers, and the GS 915 drivers aren't working properly like they did in 7100. I'm currently stuck with a max res of 1024x768 and we are none too happy about it. I tried Windows update and have restarted a couple of times so I guess Ill just have to go find some different drivers. I only do very light work on this so I'm not sure yet about it running any faster, but youtube wasn't running as smoothly as usual a few minutes ago.

I have tried it in the vrtual machine and found for some reason I cannot live witrhout osme form of transparety in my operating system (Aero wouldn't work)

Other than that I found it very stable, and not very resource heavy. Although final opinions cannot be made until of properly installed it as its own partition. Just waiting for a new HDD. Mines got 4.5gbs left :/