2009 Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix

I'd like to see the actual accident between Piquet and Buemi. The footage I've seen started only when Buemi was already stuck up Piquet's ass and both swerved off track. Can someone please point me to more revealing footage or tell me what happened?

I'll tell you. Beumi simply locked up and was too close to Piquet to do anything about it.

What is interesting is how good that Mercedes engine is. Clearly the best of the bunch, and the gains that the engine has given to Brawn over the Honda engine they had to put up with last year, which is a point Ross Brawn keeps reinforcing.

Interestingly we had a first ever in F1 terms this weekend, with it being the first time ever the same engine has won three consecutive races without a freshen up of any sort.

I guess the fact that the McLaren has the same engine spec is fairly damming reminder of how bad the McLaren chassis is in reality.

Yes. Watch it again ;)

He kept zooming in and when it was on Button it kept moving up and down and on Kimi he was zooming swaying and all over the place.

I'm watching the red button coverage again now... the camera does sway slightly during Jenson's interview. But yeah.. you're right, during Kimi's interview, the camera was all over the place.

Could it be that the FIA is cuttin the budget by not proving them with a proper camera stand?? :lol:

Another good job by Rubens. To me it seems as if there is an obvious team order there especially in Spain when all of a sudden he was switched to a 3 stop strategy and 3 stops just doesn't work in Spain. Supposedly he's been quoted saying if he were to get the idea that Brawn was playing favorites that he would pack his bags and be on his way to Brazil.

It was not team orders, and they did NOT switched to a 3 stop strategy for Ruby. They changed Jenson's strategy to a 2 stopper.

But that's rather irrelevant, as Jenson said in the interview after the race that he was constantly 0.6sec quicker than everyone on the field when it mattered. Ruby was struggling with his last stint and couldn't deliver the result, I'm sure the de-briefing and post race analysis from the telemetry would have cleared that up for the insecured Ruby.

Nice to see a Ferrari back on podium allbeit number 3. Was hoping to see more of Massa but I'm glad he didn't crash into Rosberg when he made that wild pass on him in the beginning of the race.

yeah he made a cock up by letting Rosberg through, but in all fairness.. Rosberg took that opportunity well and caught Massa out. Big up to Rosberg for that!

I hope he gets another year to show how good he can be.

He has done nothing to deserve to be given another year. I would be quite surprised if he is still at McMerc next year, unless he improves quickly.

He has done nothing to deserve to be given another year. I would be quite surprised if he is still at McMerc next year, unless he improves quickly.

Yep, and i think he is out, if Mclaren can grab Vettel or Rosberg. Also it looks like Piquet is gone, Heidfeld is hangin by a thread, Bourdais grabbed a point to just stay alive...:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I think it just shows the massive difference between Kovi and Hamilton. Kovi isnt massively fast but the cars at every team always seem to favour one driver over the other except for a few like Ferrari and others over the year. It also shows the difference in driving styles really. Hamilton is much like Kimi really both smooth and clean and dont make many mistakes. Whil Kovi seems to just be consitent like Button but just seems to be missing something.

I hope he gets another year to show how good he can be.

It might just be the support of the team or maybe he just doesn't have it. At Renault, they supported Alonso quite obviously and it's the same case at Mclaren. I can't really think of a team that Kovi could stay competitive and be the number 1 driver. Each driver wants the car setup there own way and maybe I'm putting a tad much emphasis on that but I think it can be crucial.

This same topic has always made me wonder about Piquet Jr. Is he just a plain bad driver? Is it the lack of support from the team in terms of car set up? Is Alonso just that much better? Piquet Jr has never qualified ahead of Alonso. I mean the R29 isn't that competitive but Alonso tends to make it look like it can be, at least for the last few points paying positions.

Last edited:
Is Alonso just that much better? Piquet Jr has never qualified ahead of Alonso. I mean the R29 isn't that competitive but Alonso tends to make it look like it can be, at least for the last few points paying positions.

Yes, I think so. Piquet is completlely

Yep, and i think he is out, if Mclaren can grab Vettel or Rosberg. Also it looks like Piquet is gone, Heidfeld is hangin by a thread, Bourdais grabbed a point to just stay alive...:mrgreen:

+1

Pretty much spot on. Except for Heidfeld won't get booted out from BMW unless the team can somehow attract Vettel or another good driver to join them.

It might just be the support of the team or maybe he just doesn't have it. At Renault, they supported Alonso quite obviously and it's the same case at Mclaren. I can't really think of a team that Kovi could stay competitive and be the number 1 driver. Each driver wants the car setup there own way and maybe I'm putting a tad much emphasis on that but I think it can be crucial.

This same topic has always made me wonder about Piquet Jr. Is he just a plain bad driver? Is it the lack of support from the team in terms of car set up? Is Alonso just that much better? Piquet Jr has never qualified ahead of Alonso. I mean the R29 isn't that competitive but Alonso tends to make it look like it can be, at least for the last few points paying positions.

It's hard to say because we know Alonso is probably one of the best drivers in the sport and is capable of dragging that Renault further up the grid than it needs to be. It isnt so much Piquet's pace that would concern me as a team manager, it's his constant ability to throw it into the gravel/barrier for no apparent reason.

For Kovalainen, I also think this will be his last season with McLaren. He had such promise but hasn't ever really delivered a drive that has made me sit up and notice. Hungary '08 doesn't really count because he only won that due to Hamilton and Massa having their issues. Certainly Vettel must be on my shopping list and I'd be hounding the Mercedes board to pay the necessary amount to secure him from Red Bull. Rosberg would be the cheaper option, but like Kovalainen, I'm unsure whether he has it to take the fight to Hamilton and the Ferraris at the head of the field.

Just watched it (I know i'm delayed but it sucks to have old parents) and pretty much don't need to add anything else really. Piquet needs to go, Kovalainen needs to sort himself out aswell (he was going well and then bump), BMW and Williams need to sort out what they're going to do with Heidfield and Nakajima and it just wasn't Toyota's week this week, so hopefully Sutil and Glock will be safe.

dunno if anyone saw, but if you can just watch button through the swimming pool towards the end of the race.... that boy is so friggin smooth, the car looked like it was just floating through there, gliding over the curbs like they werent there. i remember hamilton last year being well lairy in that chicane...both equally as impressive, but i was just amazed at how calm buttons car looked

Down to the chassis, my friend.

About McLaren getting Vettel, I don't think that's possible in the near future. I've stated it before, but McLaren aren't on a run that lets drivers look and say, "Hey, that's a team I yearn to join". RB is doing very well for Vettel, and it's a team that seems to suit his personality and style. Rosberg, though, I'm not so sure. He's a better driver than Kovi, but not sure if he's interested in being 2nd driver.

Rosberg, though, I'm not so sure. He's a better driver than Kovi, but not sure if he's interested in being 2nd driver.

Hmm, that's a good point. I'd like to see Rosberg in a McLaren though, because I think he actually is a gifted driver, he just never had the wheels underneath him to make it show.
Heidfeld at McLaren would also be nice, assuming he wouldn mind playing second fiddle to Lewis. Don't care what you say about Heidfeld, there's reason ppl call him Quick Nick. Whenever there are some points up for grabs by taking risks, he's there. =)
And I'm sure he also has more in him than he's been able too show so far.
If only he would shave his beard, it might save them a few grams... ;)

Hmm, that's a good point. I'd like to see Rosberg in a McLaren though, because I think he actually is a gifted driver, he just never had the wheels underneath him to make it show.
Heidfeld at McLaren would also be nice, assuming he wouldn mind playing second fiddle to Lewis. Don't care what you say about Heidfeld, there's reason ppl call him Quick Nick. Whenever there are some points up for grabs by taking risks, he's there. =)
And I'm sure he also has more in him than he's been able too show so far.
If only he would shave his beard, it might save them a few grams... ;)

Heidfeld is an interesting driver. He has got a few records under his belt. He has scored the highest number of points without a win, shares the record for the most podium finishes without a win, and has the most second places without a win. Those are not-so-nice records, but he has some important ones also. He has the ongoing record of most consecutive race finishes, 26. He also has the most consecutive classifications with 34, ongoing as well. He's a very stable driver who doesn't make mistakes. With a better car, he would be a sure points-scorer.

As for Heikki, he hinted to a Finnish television channel that he might be with McLaren for some years to come. Think about it, he's just what they need, a humble yes-man and a team player who can help Lewis. He's clearly playing the second violin, or atleast was during last year. This year the situation is a bit better, because Whitmarsh doesn't favor Lewis as much as Dennis did.

I'm watching the red button coverage again now... the camera does sway slightly during Jenson's interview. But yeah.. you're right, during Kimi's interview, the camera was all over the place.

Could it be that the FIA is cuttin the budget by not proving them with a proper camera stand?? :lol:

Did you all notice there wasn't even the television thingy, where the drivers can comment the happenings themselves? And BTW, did you notice Rubens' expressions, both after the quali and the race. For some reason, the quantity of smugness on his face was incredible :lol:

Last edited:
It's hard to say because we know Alonso is probably one of the best drivers in the sport and is capable of dragging that Renault further up the grid than it needs to be. It isnt so much Piquet's pace that would concern me as a team manager, it's his constant ability to throw it into the gravel/barrier for no apparent reason.

For Kovalainen, I also think this will be his last season with McLaren. He had such promise but hasn't ever really delivered a drive that has made me sit up and notice. Hungary '08 doesn't really count because he only won that due to Hamilton and Massa having their issues. Certainly Vettel must be on my shopping list and I'd be hounding the Mercedes board to pay the necessary amount to secure him from Red Bull. Rosberg would be the cheaper option, but like Kovalainen, I'm unsure whether he has it to take the fight to Hamilton and the Ferraris at the head of the field.

Farther than the Renault needs to be? :lol:

For the rest of the post, I've been a bit of an anorak and gathered some stats on Kovi and Rosberg:

Driver error: crash and what not, Mechnical failure: something the driver doesn't have control over (either engine or brakes or various technical issue)

Kovi: 60% in the points (career)

2007 season:

12 in the points finishes
4 out of the points finishes
1 DNF (driver error)

2008 season:

11 in the points finishes
4 out of the points finishes
3 DNFS (1 driver error, 2 mechanical failures)

2009 season:

1 in the points finish
1 out of the points finish
4 DNFS (2 driver error, 2 mechanical failures)

Rosberg: 29% in the points (career)

2006 season:
2 in the points finishes
7 out of the points finishes
9 DNFS (6 driver errors, 3 mechanical failures)

2007 season:

7 in the points finishes
6 out of the points finishes
4 DNFS (1 driver error, 3 mechanical failures)

2008 season:

5 in the points finishes
11 out of the points finishes
2 DNFS (1 driver error, 1 mechanical failure)

2009 season:

4 in the points finishes
2 out of the points finishes
No DNFS so far

I agree that Kovi doesn't make you sit up and go whoa but at the same time he is very consistent. He had some bad luck this year but still. And I know someone will say that Kovi has had the chance to driver better cars and maybe that's all it is down to. I think mclaren should keep kovi because he finishes in the points and what else can you ask the 2nd driver to do? I mean obviously you'd prefer a 1,2 finish every race and maybe finishing in the points just isn't good enough for a caliber team of Mclaren but he shows consistency.

Rosberg just confuses me because the talent is there and he's obviously the number 1 driver at Williams in terms of team backing but he just can't get it done. I can't pin it solely on the car.

Yes. Watch it again ;)

He kept zooming in and when it was on Button it kept moving up and down and on Kimi he was zooming swaying and all over the place.

Maybe the cameraman was hungover from all the partying in Monaco

Did you all notice there wasn't even the television thingy, where the drivers can comment the happenings themselves? And BTW, did you notice Rubens' expressions, both after the quali and the race. For some reason, the quantity of smugness on his face was incredible :lol:

Yeah I noticed that, and I am quite disappointed that they didn't have it. I guess nothing really interesting happened enough between the top 3 for them to comment on.

Last edited:
I'd like to add to my previous post that Rosberg would actually like to move over to McLaren to be Lewis' teammate. I just read (in F1 Race Report, a Dutch magazine) that when both were teenagers they raced as teammates and had a really good relationship. He says he'd love te be teammates with Lewis again, for old times' sake. :)

^That's kind of a hint to McLaren that he wants to join them

I should probably put it in context, when reading the article again I noticed McLaren actually never came up.
It's a format where readers of the magazine can send in questions, which will then be asked to a particular driver.
The Question:
Who would you like as a teammate and what's your opinion on your current teammate Nakajima?
Answer:
I'd like to have Lewis Hamilton as a teammate. We were teammates once when we were 14 years old and driving karts. It was very fun then and I think it could be fun again. And tough, of course.
Kazuki is a nice guy and I have no problems with him as my teammate.

Just to make sure noone thinks he was dissing Williams and declaring his love for McLaren. ;)
He doesn't seem over the top about his current teammate though, but then again, who would be. :/

Last edited:
The last thing I'd like to say about this GP is how good the Marshalls are.

They do such a great job and are the most professional out of any other ciruit. Im not sure how many Marshalls there are at Monaco or how far around the world they come from but they usually have the biggest balls when it comes to not hesitating to get well onto the track, looking after the cars and the drivers.

Compare them to the marshalls at the Signapore GP who were almost hopeless when it came to retrieving Piquets Renault last year, the safety car was out for ages with them trying to get it off.

Yes. Look at the way he drives compared to alonso; he is super late on the power compared to alonso.

Give singapore some credit, it's their first year :)