Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Low-end torque huh? :) My Volvo is exactly the opposite - acceleration 0-30 is painfully slow, but once I get above 2500RPM then it starts going fast :)

Okay, random thought: Awkward and stupid question - what exactly does it mean for an automatic gearbox to "slip"? And how does it feel?

Well thats still low-end torque.. i need to be in about 3500RPM when things start to happen. 4500 is the torque peak, well a low peak but still. 1.8 zetec.

Well thats still low-end torque.. i need to be in about 3500RPM when things start to happen. 4500 is the torque peak, well a low peak but still. 1.8 zetec.

Yes, but mine is a autotragic. I can't dump the clutch at 2500RPM, I have to accelerate from 900 to 2500 rpm, which as I said earlier is painfully slow.

I reckon the Prius that pulled out in front of me today would have saved the world better by speeding up a little faster and chewing a bit more fuel, rather than forcing me and the dozen or so cars behind me to slow down 25 mph then speed up another 15 mph.

today I saw a Prius cop car going quickly and revving the nuts off the engine, with wailing sirene and lights

I facepalmed, hard.

Prius Cop car?
PRIUS COP CAR?!
great, you know if they're gonna use those I can outrun them in the bug easy. PULL OVER? WHY?! Your top speed is like 90, you can't catch a scooter.

Low-end torque huh? :) My Volvo is exactly the opposite - acceleration 0-30 is painfully slow, but once I get above 2500RPM then it starts going fast :)

Okay, random thought: Awkward and stupid question - what exactly does it mean for an automatic gearbox to "slip"? And how does it feel?

you lucky. I don't get any real power until 5000 rpm.

I got a happy mail today. It said that I only have to pay 1200 a year for insurance now :"3

Prius Cop car?
PRIUS COP CAR?!

Yup the NYPD *scum* have them now...Ohhh how I want to burn each of them on sight.

NYPD_Traffic_Enforcement_RMP_In_White.jpeg

^You should use spray paint to put on the side in HUGE letters: H Y B R I D to help them show off their enviro-cred.

I got a happy mail today. It said that I only have to pay 1200 a year for insurance now :"3

Yep, congratulations on reaching 19, the magical money saving age (in the US).

Last edited:

That's really weird.... My supercharged Grand Prix costs $1100/year.

Yep, congratulations on reaching 19, the magical money saving age (in the US).

And my insurance didn't go down much at all at 19. It will at 25 though <_<

$1100 is what I'm paying for my Volvo as well, even though I'm 22.

Prius drivers are annoying. On the 120, there was a prius in the left lane doing 65, and there was a huge line of cars behind it. When both lanes were open, what did the Prius driver do? Stayed in the fast lane. The other cars (including me) had to pass it.

That's really weird.... My supercharged Grand Prix costs $1100/year.

Yep, mine just dropped by $40 a month. Only good thing about getting old.

Same for me. I have to pay insanely high insurance till 25.

I pay $1,200 in local currency :p
About USD600. Will probably go down this year since now I am a father.

Same for me. I have to pay insanely high insurance till 25.

That's odd. I was playing around on the instant insurance quote sites and it seemed to drop dramatically at 19.