Post Your Watches

I have a cheapass black thing I got from a Rite Aid. It says "Segio Valente" on it but there's nothing on the internet.

Can you tell I don't care about watches much? I'm impressed if they keep time.

^ What, no databank or even calculator?!

Or TV remote?

I don't have an everyday watch, mainly due to this graph. I used to wear my previously-posted Alien Android every day, but I don't need the two-time-zones time any more, and it raised more questions than I really wanted (for example, out for lunch with a friend when two middle aged ladies barge into our conversation, on asking about it, and ruin the lunch).

Still wear it for special occasions, though. And, pleasingly, the ones on eBay are going for twice the price I paid for it (new). I'm not planning to sell it, but it's nice to know that *something* of mine has gained value.

I got it off eBay because I needed that specific watch. They don't import them here anymore. :lol:

Sure they do. They probably don't cost them anything to manufacture.

Mine

And: I know someone who got one of those Casios as well. Damn popular those things...

I remember watching "Enemy of the state" with Will Smith saying something like "wow - you must've paid ten to fivteen dollars to buy me one of these" when "Brill" bought him such a watch. :lol:

Attachments

• silverprince_2053_28910539.jpeg
    silverprince_2053_28910539.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 71
I had that Casio when I was a kid. Funny how trends go in twenty year cycles.

For when I want to be subtle and slip under the radar. Can't be drawing any attention sometimes ya know?

51Dm15eQBYL._SL500_.jpg

Here's my TAG Heuer Carrera Classic Automatic. Got this from my parents as a graduation gift last year. I'm scared to wear it for fear of scratches and dings :cry: . The other watch is a Seiko Automatic that I also bought while I was in Abu Dhabi- it can display the date al-arabi :cool:

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

:shock: WOW, that is a very nice watch. I can understand why you are afraid to wear it. My dad as a cheap $15 watch for everyday use, and he only takes out his good watch for special occasions. Are you even too afraid to take it out for special occasions??

Don't be. Obviously don't wear it while working on a car or something though. My mother has worn her Tag Ladies Formula 1 watch as a daily watch for probably 10 years now, while golfing, swimming, hunting and all manner of not so gentle things. The numbers on the bezel have worn and there's a very slight hazing to the crystal from micro scratches but otherwise there are no problems with it. They're very solid watches, and worse comes to worse they stand behind the product.

I'm currently deciding on a nicer watch for myself, but I think the final decision will wait a few more weeks until I get back from a car show in Steamboat.

I never understood why people are afraid of wearing nice watches... a nice watch means that it's much, much less prone to scratches and scuffs than cheap watches.

Most expensive watches have crystal glass which are basically impossible to scratch... if you happen to have metal links those might get scuffed, but watch stores can usually buff them out when you take it for service, or worst case scenario you buy a new band in five years.

And what exactly is the point of keeping it tucked in a drawer, to wear to graduations and weddings? You won't get to enjoy it if it's sitting in your desk all the time!

Edit: Hmm, as per Nabster's post maybe TAG's aren't really high quality afterall. Even after a decade the bezel shouldn't rub off on a multi-thousand dollar watch. I have a forty year old Omega and everything looks good, except oddly enough the hands have turned slightly yellower than before.

Last edited:
Exactly, high quality things aren't necessarily fragile. If it makes you feel better about wearing a nice watch more often let me say I carry around my $360 fountain pen clipped to my shirt all the time (If there were a big nerdy looking emoticon I'd put it here).

I never understood why people are afraid of wearing nice watches... a nice watch means that it's much, much less prone to scratches and scuffs than cheap watches.

Most expensive watches have crystal glass which are basically impossible to scratch... if you happen to have metal links those might get scuffed, but watch stores can usually buff them out when you take it for service, or worst case scenario you buy a new band in five years.

And what exactly is the point of keeping it tucked in a drawer, to wear to graduations and weddings? You won't get to enjoy it if it's sitting in your desk all the time!

Edit: Hmm, as per Nabster's post maybe TAG's aren't really high quality afterall. Even after a decade the bezel shouldn't rub off on a multi-thousand dollar watch. I have a forty year old Omega and everything looks good, except oddly enough the hands have turned slightly yellower than before.

TAG Heuer does sell watches that are well below the $1000 USD mark. You know significantly more about watches than I do, but I was under the impression that TAG's are generally considered to be durable. My cousin had a ~$1000 TAG that he didn't take care of at all for several years and it looked like it held up very well. He bought another watch and he abandoned the TAG, but I doubt it would look any different even after wearing it for 10 years.