Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Actually, 80 km/h (50 mph) is known to be the most fuel-efficient speed to drive at, that's why I always try to stay at or near that speed on rural roads, where the limit is 60 km/h and up.

See, but thats a country road. We're talking residential area roads here.....

In America, a lot of people don't give a crap about the posted speed limit anyway. Well, Prius drivers do, but thats an exception.

Except damn Victorian cops can fine you for 53 in a 50 (I know. Friend's mum got ticketed for that)..............

I wish they'd just raise the damn speed limits and "fine limit" so that we can all overtake without fear of 3 freakin demerit points and a fine.

That will never happen though due to damn community groups. A major road near where I live has a primary school on it, and the Victorian government in its infinite stupidity decided to implement something called a school zone where during certain times of the day, the speed limit is cut down to 40 so that you supposedly don't run over kids. This school zone thing is for the whole of Victoria (not too sure about other states).

I can't even begin to express my hatred of this system. Who the fuck seriously thought this was a good idea? Instead of making the motorist responsible for every damn thing, why not TEACH KIDS NOT TO FUCKEN RUN ONTO THE ROAD SO THEY DON'T GET HIT! There are already supervised school crossings just outside, so FUCKEN USE THEM!

Also, the times during which the speed limit is cut are extremely weirdly spaced, and with everybody's watches running differently how will you ever truly know whether you can only do 40 or 70? What you end up with are tailgating, extremely pissed off motorists because they've completely forgotten about the school zone and think the dickhead in front can't drive....

Last edited:
I saw new Mazda3:s and a Seat Exeo today. The Mazda's grin isn't to my taste, but the Exeo, while quite sedate, seemed to be a handsome car, especially in black.

I just got two free tickets to the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance. :dance:

Also, I'm really bad at bullshitting...so it's a surprise that I did get them in the first place.

Which day you going? I'm going to be there on Sunday with my dad, I'm really looking forward to it.

I just got two free tickets to the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance. :dance:

Also, I'm really bad at bullshitting...so it's a surprise that I did get them in the first place.

If you are a student, you get a free ticket to the Meadowbrook Concours d'Elegance once you present your student ID. They don't tell you this unless you ask though, I found out just before I was going to hand over $25 for a ticket :p

Bought a 1990 Integra GS today for my GF's first car, needs a little work but it'll be a fun little car when it's finished and for $700 I couldn't really say no.

Koenigsegg is making a serious bid to buy Saab.. :blink:

^^Cool. I want a Koenigsaab! :cool:
^Yeah... you're probably right...

Which day you going? I'm going to be there on Sunday with my dad, I'm really looking forward to it.

No idea, I haven't thought that far ahead yet...trying to see if any of my friends are willing to go also.

Bought a 1990 Integra GS today for my GF's first car, needs a little work but it'll be a fun little car when it's finished and for $700 I couldn't really say no.

Sounds like a solid buy. What condition is it in?

Does it matter? That car is indestructable!!! A friend of mine had one for $500. He didn't know anything about cars. Treated it like shit! the struts were shot, 4th gear was out, engine was idling rough, the ENTIRE exhaust fell of the car, that's how rusty it was, the bodywork was a complete mess, held with duct tape.

And yet the car still ran fine, I saw him drive that car for 3 years and sure it had small things that needed to be repaired to keep it running, but he didn't maintain it well at all. I'm not sure he even changed the oil when it had to be changed.

Well, the thing about a lot of those Acuras and Hondas is that they were owned by teenagers who tried the whole fast&furious thing with them. Bad modifications done poorly. Not to mention the possibility that the car is a salvage title from a dumb accident while racing. Or a blown motor and destroyed transmission from abusive driving.

I'm just curious how much Integra you can buy for $700 bucks.

Well, I checked the title long before buying it and I know it's not a salvage car. It's not in mint condition, but for the price that's to be expected. Brand new rear bumper, new distributor, CV joints, fuel pump etc. Less rust than average, there's some on the driver's rear wheelwell but they all rust there. Rust on the gas cap door, but that's easily replaced. There's some fucking hideous yellow-pained interior bits that will fortunately be easy to remove or replace. The engine, clutch and transmission all seem fine, it was driven by a middle-age guy so it seems like he went pretty easy on it. Really, the only big(ish) problem is that the windshield has a fairly significant crack in it and will likely need replacing soon.

So, yeah, it's a bit of a project car but the vast majority of things just need some time and effort to fix, rather than money.

Is it wrong that I'm developing an uncontrollable lust for a Hummer H1?

I hate the H2 and H3, but the H1 is gaining traction as a "must own once in my lifetime" vehicle.

^ I'd agree with that, the H1 is at least an offroader that can do more than it's share of offroad, it's a huge box but it's cool to me

This is pretty damn awesome: http://jalopnik.com/5271985/man-hand+building-hummer-h1-from-ford-scraps

I'd love to have a stripped H1 for serious off-roading work. Unlike most Hummer owners, I'd gladly beat the living shit out of mine if I ever get to own one. Stuff keeping the paintwork pristine, scratches are a badge of honor on any 4WD!

Oh yeah, anybody else here a huge tank nerd? I'm developing a great interest in tanks lately. Any good book recommendations?

Last edited:
The carwash tore off my 16 VALVE sticker. Now everybody will think I drive a lowly eight-valve!