An Appliance is as an Appliance Does

Do I spy a very vintage radio in the dash? :mrgreen:

Yeah, stock 1992 Saturn stereo system. It actually isn't bad for a 1992 econobox car stereo! It doesn't really crank, per-se, but it's pretty good quality sound.

Just an update:

DSCF7250Crop.jpg

Removed hubcaps, buffed and a coat of wax or two. Surprisingly it's not that bad looking in my opinion.

I'm really liking this car. Upon retrospect I should have gotten the twin-cam for more power, but it's completely fine unless you hit a really big hill. It consistently gets AT LEAST 30-32mpg, even when packed full of friends and going up aforementioned steep hills. 100hp, but will do 65mph on the interstate or, you know, 75-80mph like a normal person just fine. For the first time in a while, I can drive around without any anxiety about something breaking. :mrgreen:

Drives nice, cheap to run, cheap to insure, and easy to work on.

Yeah, that's what I said too. But what do I know? I'm only a student mechanic!

Yes, that Honda was vacuum lines, vacuum lines, vacuum lines. It made even the most simple engine related job a nightmare.
DSCF6979.jpg

It doesn't look as bad in this photo, but the horror.

The horror...

Could be worse...
medusahead.03.jpg

(FD RX7)

The cars front end looks like a baby 300ZX only to continue into the most uninspiring car shape ever.

DSCF73042.jpg

Eh, I like it!

DSCF7436.jpg

DSCF7438.jpg

DSCF7435.jpg

DSCF7446.jpg

DSCF74512.jpg

DSCF7452.jpg

A little under 115,000 miles now and still going just fine. Going to mount and balance some new tires and replace the valve cover gasket before the end of June.

I have never seen this car before. And personally, that is the most drab styling (if you can call it that) that i have ever seen. If i drove that, i would run over people to make my journey less boring.

I'm sorry :p

I have never seen this car before. And personally, that is the most drab styling (if you can call it that) that i have ever seen. If i drove that, i would run over people to make my journey less boring.

I'm sorry :p

Oh well. It gets 35-40mpg, corners well, and has gotten me around just fine without issues thus far. Sorry I can't afford a more stylish car right now. :p

Boring, you say? Then have another picture of it! :mrgreen:
DSCF7492.jpg

Haha for the price there must be SOMETHING more interesting. But probably not as reliable. And i guess the MPG isn't that bad either :p

Haha, I had been looking for a few months for a manual-transmission Subaru or anything, and nothing good came up in my budget. Finally, I decided that the Saturn was a good deal and it was better than driving my brother's seafoam green Taurus (a picture of which I use often as a joke) If this Saturn can continue to get me around, then so be it. If the car dies on me, which it shouldn't - it was well maintained in the past and I maintain it meticulously - then I either swap in a twin cam Saturn motor for <$1,000 or if I have more than $1,500, just buy another car. :mrgreen:

Have you cracked the front on something?

Yeah, my brother reversed right into me.

The long story is that my mom was in the hospital for a few days. I had to go to school when she was discharged, so it was my brother's job to pick her up. He doesn't know his way around our own damn town, so he had to follow me on my way to school. I bring him to the hospital parking lot, he parks and shuts his car off. I pull up behind him, waiting for him to get out so I can tell him the room number. He apparently wasn't happy with his parking job because he proceeds to turn his car back on and, without looking, reversed right into me. :rolleyes:

I can get a matching-color panel for $30, undo four bolts and replace it in ten minutes. I just can't be bothered right now. I'll fix it at some point.

Last edited:
I love your nonchalant attitude on this one. These types of cars work great as an appliance. :D

Exactly, that's all it is! No matter what, I'm pretty happy with it. Keeping a logbook of the fuel mileage, maintenance costs/mileage of maintenance performed, etc.

Mounted and balanced some new shoes for it yesterday, since I've got a new job and a slightly longer commute, figured I would finally just get it done. :lol:

0529091033a.jpg

DSCF7629.jpg

Well, so much for that car.

(Waits for explanation)
(not getting one)

:roll:

Fine! Fine. Finefinefine. I'll bite.

Say Bubs360, what happened to your Saturn automobile?

(Waits for explanation)
(not getting one)

:roll:

Fine! Fine. Finefinefine. I'll bite.

Say Bubs360, what happened to your Saturn automobile?

The old girl left me stranded a hundred miles from home. Serpentine belt tensioner failed, and it apparently developed a very nice oil leak at the same time. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with it yet, thankfully my friend had AAA so I got a free tow back home.

The more I look at it, the more I think it needs some matt black stealth fighter treatment. It needs some post-apocalyptic look to it!

^ haha

I've confirmed that my belt tensioner failed for sure. I was pretty pissed and was ready to sell the car, but I figure the least I can do is get a new belt tensioner and install it. Not too hard of a job. I had just replaced the belt but I guess the tensioner was on its way out, explains the noise and everything.

DSCF7631.jpg

Here's my new tensioner, it's not OEM but it has a lifetime warranty so no worries. It's not a crappy Dayco one either so I shouldn't have any problems. I'm going to replace my idler pulley as well, should have that by Tuesday.

Last edited: