Food! [The thread that started this section]

you mean the brown edge? that is from frying it in a 5mm layer of hot olive oil to crisp the skin before it went in the oven. Trust me, it was far from overcooked, it was just right.

No, the white foamy bits which usually starts to 'escape' from the fish when it cooks for too long. :p

Made some delicious hamburgers today. Seasoned them with Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper before grilling. For buns I cut seven season-onion bagels in half and grilled them with mayonnaise. Turned out quite good.

*cough* yeah... I need to learn how to cook. I just burned a grilled cheese sandwich, burned it like a mofo.
Smoke alarm went off, alarm company called... :lmao:

Damn, that looks delicious. I love bread.

What kind of flour did you use?

Damn, that looks delicious. I love bread.

What kind of flour did you use?

It said you could use bread or regular flour, all I had on hand was the latter so that's what I used. The book I got the recipe out of has a recipe for english muffin bread so that is what I am going to try next.

Or even better, try cooking it inside a ceramic pot (remove the lid the last couple of minutes). This should in theory give you a very, very nice crust.

I just made some pasta, and have realized that adding salt to the water all the previous times was just making it take longer to cook. I had read it on the instructions for a pack of pasta years back, and it made sense at the time (adding salt => raises the boiling point of the water => faster cooking), but it turns out that the salt actually slows the process of water being absorbed into whatever's in the pot.

Probably obvious to anyone who knows how to cook, but I just thought I'd mention it for the rest of us.

For some reason, I got the impression McLightining used a bread making machine. :hmm:

And chaos, I thought you were supposed to add salt to boiling pasta for taste? Is that still the case and you just made a separate discovery about cooking time?

And chaos, I thought you were supposed to add salt to boiling pasta for taste? Is that still the case and you just made a separate discovery about cooking time?

That's probably the real reason for doing it, I just assumed it was about cooking times. In any case, my dad will appreciate me not adding salt to the water, since he's watching his blood pressure. :)

You HAVE to cook pasta in salted water. Otherwise a little italian with waving arms will haunt you in your dreams, eventually killing you.

But seriously, you can ruin a dish if you don't salt your pasta water.

Made some awesome shrimp tonight, really surprised myself if I'm honest. Started by saut?ing some onions in olive oil, when they were starting to get transparent I added oregano, basil, garlic, some red pepper, salt, and course ground black pepper, cooked that for about 30 seconds then added some butter. Then I took that outside with some shrimp on bamboo skews to put on the grill. Put the skews on the grill and squeezed a lemon over them, then brushed the onion/garlic/herb mixture over them.

They were pretty awesome.

You HAVE to cook pasta in salted water. Otherwise a little italian with waving arms will haunt you in your dreams, eventually killing you.

But seriously, you can ruin a dish if you don't salt your pasta water.

amen sir... amen

Made some awesome shrimp tonight, really surprised myself if I'm honest. Started by saut?ing some onions in olive oil, when they were starting to get transparent I added oregano, basil, garlic, some red pepper, salt, and course ground black pepper, cooked that for about 30 seconds then added some butter. Then I took that outside with some shrimp on bamboo skews to put on the grill. Put the skews on the grill and squeezed a lemon over them, then brushed the onion/garlic/herb mixture over them.

They were pretty awesome.

that sounds damn good... what did you do with the onion mixture you didn't use? toss with some pasta and good cheese? maybe add a bit of tomato paste and a little bit of cream...

Last edited:
Wife made beer bread today using Smithwick's. DAMN tasty! :drool:

amen sir... amen

that sounds damn good... what did you do with the onion mixture you didn't use? toss with some pasta and good cheese? maybe add a bit of tomato paste and a little bit of cream...

There was no liquid left and the little bit of onion and garlic I just threw on my salad.

ah... good plan..