Is food in EU healthier than US

Roadster44

Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Here we have insane subsidies to corn industry; and of course for anyone who has studied health in depth, it'll come no surprise that corn syrup, which is derived from corn, trickles its way down to pop, meats, ketchup, and other common products. Problem is that high fructose syrup isn't good for health.

My question to a larger degree is just how healthier is the food in European Union comparative to US? High fructose syrup everywhere?

Food everywhere in a developed country is no healthier than any of the others, it comes down to a personal choice.

We don't have chicken in a can. :p

We don't have spotted dick in a can. :tease:

spotted-dick.gif

Or cheeseburgers in a can, for that matter.

canburger.jpg

Seriously, I would have expected the latter to come from an industrial estate in Huntsville, Alabama, but who knew the Germans were so into ruthlessly efficient camping?

Don't know about the food being healthier in one place or another, but the general stereotype, as far as I know, is that Europeans do have healthier eating habits than Americans.

Note that this isn't my opinion - only a very rough generalisation which seems to be the general opinion. I have never visited USA so I can't verify nor deny this based on my own opinions.

I'd say the mass media has a lot to do with this; the Yanks being described as rednecks who eat chicken from a can and put maple syrup on their doghnuts in the morning whereas Europeans are pictured as salad eating, frappuchino drinking yuppies.

If you look at the consumption figures in the [FAO statistical country profiles 2004], the USA seems to have a slightly higher calorie intake than most (all i checked) EU countries. However, both regions are very much on the upper end of the scale.

USA

GER

Average BMI is in the USA is a decidedly higher though (although this system is questionable imho, taller people need lower body fat concentrations to reach the same BMI as shorter people). I have no idea how exercise frequency compares between the two regions and I am not a nutritionist, so I won't even try to analyze that.

Last edited:
Wow this is surprising I totally had no idea that our food was unhealthy. That totally surprises me. I thought all those words on food labels i can't pronounce were good things :p

I am rather convinced the food now a days is making us all sick.....

Wow this is surprising I totally had no idea that our food was unhealthy. That totally surprises me. I thought all those words on food labels i can't pronounce were good things :p

It isn't hard to eat better food. All my meat and milk I buy is "organic" (no hormones, ranged), and I avoid HFCS. If you live in Western WA I suggest buying at Central Market. They stock proper food.

You should stop eating to test your theory out.

Mmmmm..

Lemon%20Chicken%20with%20Asparagus_367x300.jpg

What is that "food"? Some people still can cook themselves, and tomatoes and chicken are pretty much the same everywhere :D

Its just that people are dumber then the floor we walk on and don't pay attention to the shit they eat. I decided that this year I was going to start paying attention, eat right, etc... and I've been getting healthier and healthier. Just need to cut the shit out of your diet.

I think the question should be: "Is it easier/more convenient to eat healthier in the EU or US?"

The answer is probably Europe based on my experiences.

Last edited:
Screw the word "organic". It's been over used and abused on EVERYTHING. So screw it.

Screw the word "organic". It's been over used and abused on EVERYTHING. So screw it.

There's nothing wrong with the word. There is something wrong with the people who regulate its use.