Isle of Man TT 2009

amadeus

Car(s)
Mercedes 300TE (W124)
That time of the year again - Bikes doing 190 through town & resident manxies dusting off their leather jackets - must be TT :)

Official site with race info'n stuff: www.iomtt.com

First pics for this year:

"Ago's Leap" in Douglas - during racing, bikes would come towards the camera at 170mph+

AgosLeap.jpg

Quarterbridge

qbtest01.jpg

qbtest02.jpg

Bray Hill - flat out - so flat, they bottom out when they hit the compression (hence the scratch marks in the tarmac)

BrayHill.jpg

Grandstand

GrandstandTower.jpg

A Scout's view of proceedings - view from behind the leaderboard, where they pass bits of paper with updates through little pidgeon holes during the race:

GrandstandHatch.jpg

Attention.jpg

Only the most high tech control systems are used around here:

TTbooth.jpg

something I always wanted to do - a lap of the TT course from the air - goes clockwise once around. Was quite a lot harder to do than I thought - bouncing around inside a plane. Would have loved to do that during TT, but there's some flyboys with their helicopters around and they don't like sharing airspace....

Now I'm just gonna see what the rest of the fortnight brings - couple of ideas here and there, but will just take it as it comes - holiday in the end :cool:

Are you tone-mapping these? They look a bit surreal.

The aerial ones aren't - the others mainly are. I've already calmed down a lot on that :lol:

Some from this morning - stupid-o-clock at the paddock:

MorninginthePaddock03.jpg

MorninginthePaddock02.jpg

MorninginthePaddock04.jpg

MorninginthePaddock05.jpg

MorninginthePaddock06.jpg

Morninginthepaddock01.jpg

Yeah...the tone mapped ones aren't very good...the colors are really messed up. I like the normal ones though.

Some more from here and there.

Idol

Marshals

More TTXGP

Things from here and there

All of these pics are very cyan heavy to me, I wonder if your sensor is damaged?

All of these pics are very cyan heavy to me, I wonder if your sensor is damaged?

No, most likely me experimenting around - Doesn't always look as good as I thought when you look at them again the next day :)

Toning it down a notch for a relaxed paddock tour from yesterday:

Finally the roads look black!

This one is great:
Parkedontheprom.jpg

Thanks - I have a tendency to experiment around. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - learning curve, I guess... Just be glad you didn't see my stuff from the early "I've discovered HDR" days - serious eye shock, and all double-locked in a vault deep below the mountains now :)

First races were planned for today, but weather said no, so racing on monday now - some from yesterday instead:

Isle of Man - sporting the prettiest gravel traps in the whole of motorsport

TT2009FridayPractice10.jpg

Tea Time - no matter what

TT2009FridayPractice12.jpg

Tried to play with the sun

TT2009FridayPractice34.jpg

Returning to base - probably after airlifting Cameron Donald to Nobles Hospital

TT2009FridayPractice35.jpg

German mates setting up - it's a yearly pilgrimage :)

TT2009FridayPractice36.jpg

Friday's practice

Rossi & Agostini going for a lap of the TT course:

Goes towards bike

spots fans near the start, so goes back

grabs camera for pics

and then goes for his lap - nice touch :)

Awesome sidecars are awesome. Nice panned shots too. :)

By the way, when you take all those aerial photos, do you fly or do you have a friend who flies or something?

Awesome sidecars are awesome. Nice panned shots too. :)

By the way, when you take all those aerial photos, do you fly or do you have a friend who flies or something?

Cheers! I've got a friend who's a pilot - flying & snapping probably won't work :)

From yesterday: A historic event - the first ever TTXGP Practice Session on the TT Mountain Course, plus a few pics from the TTX paddock, including the Mission One and other electric fun:

Is it an event where pretty much everyone on the island says "sod it" and takes a week's vacation? Must be, because I am pretty sure NOTHING exciting happens the other 51 weeks of the year. ;)

Excellent photos.

My cousin. . . cousin-in-law actually, he goes every other year. It sounds like an awesome event, he describes it as what motorsport was decades ago without the sponsors and regulations, just good fun. One of those things I have to make it to before I die.