The "American Leyland" News Thread

When the Government starts regulating Ford out of existence I'm just going to... start crying. If this stuff continues the way it has been, with something new coming up every day to the extent that it is, with me feeling more and more sick and disgusted by what is going on in the country... I simply do not know what I will be able to do. I am honestly scared of the government's actions right now, and to be 17 and know that the Government is doing such... obscenely unconstitutional and blatantly illegal and immoral things just frightens me. It frightens me how people can go along with these plans without realizing what they will cause.

Great.... Customers getting screwed over even more. Even though their tax money paid for the bailout on top of buying the cars......

Michael Moore 'filled with joy' Over GM's Bankruptcy

The communist fat clown is happy to see thousands of people losing their jobs. Is good for Politburo, da?

And, oh yeah, did anybody see that as part of the Opel sale GM is not allowed to import Opel's small cars and badge them as GM cars? I.E. PROTECTIONISM FOR THE UNION STOOGES BUILDING OUR NEW CRAPMOBILE.

I'm going to say there were some views presented by Moore that I thought were good, but its the way he goes about presenting it that makes him a fucken asshat with no understanding of reality.

Electric cars don't happen overnight moore. Maybe you should get an engineering degree and see just how much thought goes into designing even just a bearing before opening your fat mouth.

^^
I agree too on some of his points. Yes, GM should be killed off. Yes, we should build green cars. But NO! We can't all do this because the Government has to clean the mess that GM made in the first place and making more taxpayers cough up more money for their incompetence. And where's all the experienced engineers gonna come from? Not from the street because they're all stupid and wouldn't know the first thing about Solar energy.

I just wished there more smarter people in America, like the majority of the Americans on this site.

I just wished there more smarter people in America, like the majority of the Americans on this site.

In my experience there's plenty of smart people, but they just get drowned out by the stupid people, because stupid Americans are loud.

The sad thing is you could say many Australians are very ignorant when it comes to cars as well.

^^
And where's all the experienced engineers gonna come from? Not from the street because they're all stupid and wouldn't know the first thing about Solar energy.

I'm a recent grad and thanks to Obama's badmouthing my industry, I am currently having to put on hold my plans to become a "experienced engineer".

^^
I agree too on some of his points. Yes, GM should be killed off. Yes, we should build green cars. But NO! We can't all do this because the Government has to clean the mess that GM made in the first place and making more taxpayers cough up more money for their incompetence. And where's all the experienced engineers gonna come from? Not from the street because they're all stupid and wouldn't know the first thing about Solar energy.

What gets on my nerves is the fact that he seems to think unions had absolutely no part in the fail of GM. It''s fine to blame management for mistakes (they made plenty) but you can't stand by and tell me that workers are innocent party. If they were cars wouldn't be randomly falling apart.

And the "Amtrak-ing" of American Leyland has begun - wherein the government commands their lackeys to keep open unprofitable operations. From the Obama Motors department and the Wall Street Journal:

Barney Frank, Car Czar
Let GM restructure?except in my state.

President Obama may have "no interest" in running General Motors, as he averred Monday. But even if that's true, we are already discovering that he shares Washington with 535 Members of Congress, many of whom have other ideas.

The latest self-appointed car czar is Massachusetts's own Barney Frank, who intervened this week to save a GM distribution center in Norton, Mass. The warehouse, which employs some 90 people, was slated for closure by the end of the year under GM's restructuring plan. But Mr. Frank put in a call to GM CEO Fritz Henderson and secured a new lease on life for the facility.

Mr. Frank's spokesman, Harry Gural, says the Congressman discussed, among other things, "the facility's value to GM." We'd have thought that would be something that GM might have considered when it decided to close the Norton center, but then a call from one of the most powerful Members of Congress can certainly cause a ward of the state to reconsider what qualifies as "value." A CEO who refuses the offer can soon find himself testifying under oath before Congress, or answering questions from the Government Accountability Office about his expense account. To that point, Mr. Henderson spent Wednesday with Chrysler President Jim Press being castigated by the Senate Commerce Committee for their plans to close 3,400 car dealerships. Every Senator wants dealerships closed in someone else's state.

As Mr. Gural put it, Mr. Frank was "just doing what any other Congressman would do" in looking out for the interests of his constituents. And that's the problem with industrial policy and government control of American business. In Washington, every Member of Congress now thinks he's a czar who can call 'ol Fritz and tell him how to make cars.

Hey, all you people who were saying that it wouldn't become Amtrak - how do you prefer your crow prepared?

If everyone just keeps calling up about how they need to save this and that, how is GM ever going to slim in size?

If everyone just keeps calling up about how they need to save this and that, how is GM ever going to slim in size?

They're not. That's not the real purpose of the GM bailout/buyout/American Leyland. The real purpose is bailing out their union buddies that helped them get elected and to buy votes. That's all.

Some of the above is classic "Why you do not let Government run business!"

If one warehouse stays open then presumably another one somewhere else closes?

They did not negotiate the Opel badge engineering possibility/facility - you have got to be joking?

They did not negotiate the Opel badge engineering possibility/facility - you have got to be joking?

From what i know a GM order for 70000 Insignias, built in R?sselsheim, Germany, to be sold as Buicks in the U.S., still stands.
I have not found any proof or this "GM is forbidden to import Opels" conspiracy outside this forums. MAGNA are forbidden to sell Opels in the U.S., yep, but that's another thing. What i've found is:
The Obama administration said on Monday that it had not imposed any such commercial restrictions on Opel, and that any limits would be business decisions by GM.
( http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/2467056/GM-protects-US-from-Opel )

But that doesn't count cause politicians lie anyways, i know.

Last edited:
ROOOOOOFL @ GM's new expensive looking commercial talking about how they're starting over. HEY GM, STOP WASTING MONEY ON THINGS LIKE THAT.