Gran Turismo 5

They've got Takata in there.
Go for green!

Just saw the trailer in HD over at my friends. Gotta say it does look pretty, if they can nail the physics, especially on the rally cars, I have to say my wallet will be several hundred lighter. Played a bit more prologue too, I have to say it's good fun but that tire squeal still pisses the hell out of me. I hope PD can address that for the full version, tires do not sound that way. Also is it true you can't use professional physics online? Don't know why anyone would use standard?

Just saw the trailer in HD over at my friends. Gotta say it does look pretty, if they can nail the physics, especially on the rally cars, I have to say my wallet will be several hundred lighter. Played a bit more prologue too, I have to say it's good fun but that tire squeal still pisses the hell out of me. I hope PD can address that for the full version, tires do not sound that way. Also is it true you can't use professional physics online? Don't know why anyone would use standard?

Yes you can. It depends on the level of the online race. And you would be surprised at how many people use standard physics. But they keep sucking at the races :lol:

That's good to know, my friend uses standard, but then he drives a Chrysler in real life so. . .

Well...I can't beat the second overtake challange in GT5P...how is that possible to beat...I am always like 6th.

Nevermind...I just got 3rd.

Last edited:
Well...I can't beat the second overtake challange in GT5P...how is that possible to beat...I am always like 6th.

Nevermind...I just got 3rd.

Persevere. Think what you might be doing wrong and try to correct it. Think to drive like you would in a real car.

This mtehod has helped me A LOT.

But mostly is perseveration ;)

And don't fall into the trap of selecting "Standard Physics" or activating the ESP or TCS! ;)

Who else notices/noticed that the GT-Rs are WAY to fast in this game. Sorry...but F430s don't get 15 8seconds slower lap times on Suzuka.

Also, do you guys find that if your tires just nick the gravel or grass right after or right before the turn your car goes flying into an uncontrollable spin? That is why it took me forever to beat the A class All Star race 2 at Suzuka, because just touching the grass would put me into a massive spin... then seeing the guy infront of me run through the grass faster that I am on the tarmac.

And yes, professional physics with no aids at all.

I've had that problem at Suzuka coming out of the degner curves, it seems like if I over cook the exit out of them even a little bit the car is unsettled under braking for the hairpin.

Who else notices/noticed that the GT-Rs are WAY to fast in this game. Sorry...but F430s don't get 15 8seconds slower lap times on Suzuka.

Also, do you guys find that if your tires just nick the gravel or grass right after or right before the turn your car goes flying into an uncontrollable spin? That is why it took me forever to beat the A class All Star race 2 at Suzuka, because just touching the grass would put me into a massive spin... then seeing the guy infront of me run through the grass faster that I am on the tarmac.

The funny thing is, when you try the same thing in the GT-R, it feels slow and wooden. I'm much faster in a Ford GT or F430 than in a GT-R.

I am driving the GT-R...thats all I have. I am terrible though. I would like to race against you guys and see good drivers...lol

I've given up trying to race online only because I'm usually one of the first few people going into the first corner, only to be rammed at full speed from behind, spun out and sent into the wall, and finish in last.

Me? Good racer? Pah! Every time I attempt to play online I see a person complaining about online racing on the PlayStation forum and my username is involved about 75% of the time.

GT-R's seem A LOT faster ont he track because their AWD system works flawlessly. If you touch a little bit of gravel with the rear wheels you will deacceleerate a lot but you won't probably spin. If you take a RWD car be ready to spin a lot if you touch a little bit of grass. And it's even worse with mid-engined cars.

The reason why the F430 seems much slower in the track than the GT-R it's due to the fact that the Nissan is easier to drive. The F430 (with no aids at all) is a much harder to drive car. It requires more time to master and get used to its "special" handling.

Just persevere, take your time and enjoy the driving. ;)

GT-R's seem A LOT faster ont he track because their AWD system works flawlessly. If you touch a little bit of gravel with the rear wheels you will deacceleerate a lot but you won't probably spin. If you take a RWD car be ready to spin a lot if you touch a little bit of grass. And it's even worse with mid-engined cars.

The reason why the F430 seems much slower in the track than the GT-R it's due to the fact that the Nissan is easier to drive. The F430 (with no aids at all) is a much harder to drive car. It requires more time to master and get used to its "special" handling.

What's the point with a racing game/car which does everything for you? You want a challenging game so you dont get bored with it.

What's the point with a racing game/car which does everything for you? You want a challenging game so you dont get bored with it.

Well the same could be said about a car where you have to do everything yourself. Different people, different opinions. Some people want to go fast using their skills and efforts and some others want to go fast and that's it. It doesn't matter if it's thanks to electronics or any mechanical trick.

Some people don't want challenges. That's the reason why the Need For speed series have been so successful. You only had to press the accelerator and wish the nitrous didn't run out at the precise moment. No effort in that. But the game sold lots of copies.

And then there's the other side. PC ultra-realistic driving games. In those games you are punished for every single little error you make. You have to be 100% focused on what you do every single second otherwise you will crash in the worst possible way. Yes I like racing and realism but if I want Ultra-punishing-realism I prefer a trackday with my car.

So there are different cars/racing games for different people. The Forza and GT series are somewhere in between those two examples. You need to focus on your driving but it also let's you correct your errors and doesn't punish you every second you play.

And with cars it's just the same. It's funny how people never mention the electronics behind the Ferrari F430 but can't stop complaining about the GT-R's. It all comes down to personal opinions.

And about the challenging/boring part of a game...
Everytime you get into your car and drive (to work, to buy food, to the cinema etc.) do you get bored? Do you enjoy the simple fact of starting your car's engine and rive somewhere? If you do, you shouldn't be worried about a racing game being boring.

If you enjoy driving you will enjoy every single racing game. But the GT series have something NO OTHER GAME has: Normal cars.

Ford Ka, Peugeot 306, Honda Beat etc. normal cars with tiny engines and ponies instead of horses. Take one of these, put them in a racing track and drive them as fast as you can. You'll never have so much fun in a game in your life. Wobbly suspensions, horrible engines and tiny tires. But tons and tons of fun. Or simply choose a track, a car and drive fast trying to get better and better and correcting all the errors you make.

The tagline for the Gran Turismo series has always been: "The real Driving Simulator".

Mind you "The real driving" not "The real race driving". That implies everything related to driving an automobile no matter its characteristics.

Everytime I start my Ford's engine a smile comes to my face. No matter if I go to work, go for a drive, go to the city center etc. Driving for the sake of driving. That's the reason why I find the GT series better than any other racing sims. So I don't think it's a matter of boredom or cars that do everything for you.

The only fast car I have atm is the GT-R...and it spins out everytime I touch grass when entering (mainly slowing down but sometimes just turning) and leaving a corner (accelerating or just turning).

The only fast car I have atm is the GT-R...and it spins out everytime I touch grass when entering (mainly slowing down but sometimes just turning) and leaving a corner (accelerating or just turning).

Hmmm... :think:

It's probably due to the tires you are using or that you give too much gas (when leaving a corner). Are you using a wheel or the Dual Shock 3?

Yeah, you're right. It's much easier to spin out in a GTR at least on Daytona than say a Ferrari 430 or even a Dodge Viper. It happens when you brake whilst turning, which I can do in other cars but not a GTR. I realize that most cars will spin out if you brake in a hard turn, but in the GTR I can't even do it slightly.

I should note though that I've only tried it on standard physics. I think though that it may be better on flat turns than banked turns.