Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

driving in rain is cool
driving at night is also cool

driving at night, in rain is awesome.

I just had a little night drive in the rain last night at 1AM :)

And yeah, with another Depeche Mode album, this time Songs of Faith and Devotion.
I need to upgrade my speakers, but I haven't figured how the hell I get my door cards off.

driving in rain is cool

This is true and awesome.

Depeche Mode is good to drive to? It felt a bit heavy to me... maybe it was the tracks i chose

I've been enjoying the 'classic' Alan Wilder period for a long time, which is basically Some Great Reward (1984) -> Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993). Ultra works too, after that things went a little mediocre.

Just saw this on the "Not Always Right" blog about weird interactions with crazy customers.

(A man pulls into the parking lot with a beautiful 1972 Rolls Royce. As a general rule, when someone comes in with a car that nice I just let them park it themselves right up front. This conversation takes place as he is leaving the restaurant.)
Customer: ?I need you to pull my car around for me.?
Me: ?I never took the keys from you.?
Customer: ?The keys are in the ignition. Please go get my car.?
Me: ?Well, if you insist??
(I pull the car around VERY carefully.)
Customer: ?That was completely unacceptable. I want you to drive around again, only this time when you start off, do a burnout!?
I like that guy!

driving in rain is cool

Very true, however, other drivers in the rain SUCK!!! There were a few local thunderstorms today, and instead of a 70 min drive home, it took me 150+ minutes, and it would've been longer if I hadn't cut through Eindhoven instead of taking the highway around it. Oh, and I saw 5 crashes on the way. Why do people lose all driving skills the second moisture hits the road?

Very true, however, other drivers in the rain SUCK!!! There were a few local thunderstorms today, and instead of a 70 min drive home, it took me 150+ minutes, and it would've been longer if I hadn't cut through Eindhoven instead of taking the highway around it. Oh, and I saw 5 crashes on the way. Why do people lose all driving skills the second moisture hits the road?

Because they're clueless to the fact the original tires they've had on their car since they bought it 12 years ago are bald.

Also, it's still there's a break in the clouds, but it was raining here still, and I was out driving around more. :lol:

i feel like i need to find a 79-83 datsun 200SX in coupe form...

:cry:

The Land Cruiser might be going to the great dirt trail in the sky unless I can find a way to do a major overhaul including paint for less than the cost of a new 4Runner.

:cry:

The Land Cruiser might be going to the great dirt trail in the sky unless I can find a way to do a major overhaul including paint for less than the cost of a new 4Runner.

What all does it need?

i feel like i need to find a 79-83 datsun 200SX in coupe form...

Picture ? I suspect they have a different name in Australia.

That would be the S110 Silvia. Most of the S110s were hatchbacks and were called the Gazelle outside the US.

Nissan-silvia_s110_front.jpg

Almost all the surviving S110 population in the US is in Arizona and California; they didn't sell all that well outside the West Coast, and the ones in Oregon and Washington died of rust long ago.

What all does it need?

Right now it's got a problem that if the engine compartment gets wet the engine misfires and has no power, also the seals around the transfer case are shot (they are original) and need to be replaced; it's an 11 hour job.

It has had a number of major repairs so far this year and it's adding up to having a car payment to keep it on the road. I talked to my mom today about the possibility of a restoration instead of trading it in but she's starting to think that with the age and miles (almost 200,000) it would just be better to get a new car. :cry:

Right now it's got a problem that if the engine compartment gets wet the engine misfires and has no power,

Cap, rotor, plugs, wires - should resolve it. Get the cap and rotor from the Toyota dealer.

also the seals around the transfer case are shot (they are original) and need to be replaced; it's an 11 hour job.

It has had a number of major repairs so far this year and it's adding up to having a car payment to keep it on the road. I talked to my mom today about the possibility of a restoration instead of trading it in but she's starting to think that with the age and miles (almost 200,000) it would just be better to get a new car. :cry:

That sounds a bit out of line for the transfer case reseal.

You do have a point about getting something else... Consider a Lexus LX450/470? :D

How about NO!

Fucking Lexus destroyed the SUV, before they made a soft leather-lined Land Cruiser no one took luxury SUVs seriously. They opened the market and started the beginning of the end.

No, I want a brand new FJ80, the last true Land Cruiser in North America.

PS: the transfer case has to be dropped and the drive lines removed for the reseal.

How about NO!

Fucking Lexus destroyed the SUV, before they made a soft leather-lined Land Cruiser no one took luxury SUVs seriously. They opened the market and started the beginning of the end.

They can't have been the ones who ruined the SUV.

My aunt had an FJ80 when they were current (think someone in their family still has it), and you know where she lives? Beverly Hills. :lmao:

So yeah, even when the FJ80 was around most people were misusing SUVs.

How about NO!

PS: the transfer case has to be dropped and the drive lines removed for the reseal.

You forgot the Grand Wagoneer. That's what started it all, not the Lexus LC. In fact, Lexus was late to the luxobarge truck party.

Yeah, but it shouldn't take 11 hours to drop the TC and put it back in. That's normal procedure on most 4x4s; I did it on the Jeep and my old F150, and it only took an hour or two going each way.

How about NO!

Did you know they still make and sell brand new FJ70s? :mrgreen: