No 56k: New wheels: 1997 Audi A4 1.8

I extremely dislike that engine, but I wish you all the fun in the world with it and also trouble free motoring!!!

Massively worse Fuel consumption than the more powerful turbo, no grunt, noise, but not in a nice way... And yes I have driven it in an A3 a lot.

I just got 7.5 l/100km on it on the second tank, which I wouldn't call bad. That's 38 uk mpg or 31 us mpg.

Massively worse Fuel consumption than the more powerful turbo, no grunt, noise, but not in a nice way... And yes I have driven it in an A3 a lot.

This is a non-turbo and unless you get a diff model the A3 is a 2.0T not a 1.8 N/A.

Stock 1.8T wasn't very powerful mostly because that engine is massively detuned from the factory. I did a tune for my car and it went from 170hp/166tq to 215hp/235tq. It was all software, not even physical chipping.

In Europe, the 125hp N/A 1.8 was available in, um, A3, A4, A6, Golf, Passat, Bora, Leon, Toledo, Octavia.. what else?

Ok, it's back from the body shop, the bumpers look like new, and now it's already at the garage to have all the various bits replaced.

Initial cost: ?2300
Body shop: ?300

WIP total: ?2600

In Europe, the 125hp N/A 1.8 was available in, um, A3, A4, A6, Golf, Passat, Bora, Leon, Toledo, Octavia.. what else?

Damn they put that tiny ass engine into an A6? How long did it take to get 0-60 3 hours?

On a separate note is it just me or is the A3 the most pointless car in the history of the world? I mean why not just get a Golf?

Last edited:
I mean why not just get a Golf?

Because in Eastern Europe, only the biggest dicks on the road drive Golfs and they even think it's the fastest car in the world.

I can't tell you how many black 1.8 Golfs I've seen with tinted windows,2 fake mufflers, cheap-ass 15" alloys, blue LEDs on the windscreen wipers, clear lens stop signals and the obligatory big-ass sticker on the back window saying either REMUS or SPARCO.

The funniest thing however, is that most of these cars have been converted to run on LPG :D

+ better availability of quattro/4motion than in golf.. In here it seems that you cant get a 4motion golf without a TDI...

And in here audi is not cheaper than vw..
VW GOLF 2,0 TDI 103 kW Highline 2-door. 27 092,31?
AUDI A3 Attraction 2,0 TDI (DPF) 103 kW. 29 369,68?

Last edited:
+ better availability of quattro/4motion than in golf.. In here it seems that you cant get a 4motion golf without a TDI...

And in here audi is not cheaper than vw..
VW GOLF 2,0 TDI 103 kW Highline 2-door. 27 092,31?
AUDI A3 Attraction 2,0 TDI (DPF) 103 kW. 29 369,68?

That car does not make nearly enough power to make any use of the AWD system. I've driven a 2.0T A3 here, which is nothing but a more expensive GTi and it handled absolutely beautifully with FWD. AWD starts making sense when you are running about 300-400WPH and similar torque figures until then it's all suspension/tires.
[/offtopic]

Keep us posted on what's happening with the new ride it's a pretty sweet one :p

Well, got it back from the garage, they put the AC compressor in, swapped out the water pump, belt tensioners, belts, oil seals, oil, filters. Also replaced the busted piece of trim on the front right door. The only thing left to do now is getting the steering wheel aligned and see why the left headlamp won't go up and down (and is pointing up a bit too much now).

Initial cost: ?2300
AC compressor: ?160
New trim: ?40
Body shop: ?300
Garage: ?500

WIP total: ?3300

EDIT: I'll take pics of the bumpers and door tomorrow for a before/after thing.

Last edited:
nice... AC compressor ?160.. got a quote for my mondeo ac compressor of ?650

?3300 is what A4's with a V6 are going for in my area. Consider that before investing in anything else for that car.

?3300 is what A4's with a V6 are going for in my area. Consider that before investing in anything else for that car.

Sure, but aren't cars dirt cheap in the US compared to Europe? How would it apply to Ice what used A4s cost in Illinois? :dunno:

Your argument sucks because an M3 Coupe is like 57.000$ (40.000?) in USA and 68.000? (95.000$) in Germany.

OI, NO MEMES IN THIS THREAD! :p

ffuujizz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: