Sorry If this has been asked but theoretically...

If you want to be like than then the only "full" manual vehicles are bikes and pedal boats and the like. A twin clutch setup is no less manual than a single clutch deal just because you have one less. Fuck your semantics.

also, Blayde, I didn't believe you so I tried that myself :lmao:

Hehe you getting rep for that :p

Yes, but you then have to rely on a torque converter and brakes to hold you on descending sections, while I can just stick it in 1st and slowly drive down really steep hills, not touching any pedals. :D

I just stick it in L and do the same thing.

Yes, but you then have to rely on a torque converter and brakes to hold you on descending sections, while I can just stick it in 1st and slowly drive down really steep hills, not touching any pedals. :D

You can put an auto car in first and it'll hold 20-30 MPH down a good grade. :dunno:

But I could see where that would be a problem if the car is a full-auto with no first or second hard gears.

You can put an auto car in first and it'll hold 20-30 MPH down a good grade. :dunno:

But I could see where that would be a problem if the car is a full-auto with no first or second hard gears.

That is if the torque converter will fully lock. Many transmissions won't fully lock the torque converter in first or second gears.

That is if the torque converter will fully lock. Many transmissions won't fully lock the torque converter in first or second gears.

I've never driven an automatic that wouldn't hold its speed when placed into 1/L (that includes the 100% hydraulic Ford AOD). There wouldn't be much point to having it if they didn't.

My old S10 Blazer would crawl down a hill at a reasonable speed in 1st gear 4WD Low. It was probably a little faster than a manual would have gone, but it wasn't running away from me either.

I've never driven an automatic that wouldn't hold its speed when placed into 1/L (that includes the 100% hydraulic Ford AOD). There wouldn't be much point to having it if they didn't.

I'm not saying it won't slow you down, but a manual will slow you down more.

l_9569bb5bdbe7452385e51c82da6e2807.jpg

Autos are gonna be faster in a straight line usually... they have a lot of advantages for that. Manuals are gonna be a lot better for more dynamic situations simply because its up to the driver to choose the correct gear. Manual valve body autos ahve their place... but not generally on the street. To me, at that point, I'd ratherj ust have a manual unless I was drag racing.

I am no transmission expert, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

The advantages of manuals in racing:

- Less parasitic losses even compared to lock-up torque converter autos (more so with straight cut gears)
- Smaller and lighter for low-medium torque applications, some of it being rotational mass (shorter too with dog engagement).
- Driver's choice of gear for the situation
- Ease of gear ratio adjustments
- less moving parts

The disadvantages of manuals in racing:
- Driver workload
- Shift times (although dogboxes/sequentials can mostly be flatshifted)
- Size and weight in high torque applications

Everyone should own an automatic. :tumbleweed:

Do you have an auto RX8? :blink::?

Edit: This is what you really want.

PPG Dogbox with straight cut gears 1-4 helical for 5th and 6th
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QwRfwYnVo[/youtube]

Last edited:
I am not a motor sport professional, even tho all my cars I prefer them MT, but one thing is for sure, off-roading you'll definitely need a MT, Auto is not going to work at all, specially in dune bashing. This is what we do most of the time :D

Erm, that depends on the type of offroading you do.

For rock crawling, an automatic is usually considered superior due to the torque multiplication effect and reduction of cockpit workload.

I am not a motor sport professional, even tho all my cars I prefer them MT, but one thing is for sure, off-roading you'll definitely need a MT, Auto is not going to work at all, specially in dune bashing. This is what we do most of the time :D

When we're not sliding Camrys and Sonatas around, you mean? :p

Hahaha I am not a Saudi ;) we are famous for side wheeles with our patrols and land cruiser pick ups :p

:lol: Arab drifting ftw!

This has kind of been touched on, but in most non-race passenger cars manual transmissions can be a lot lighter than autos. For example, the subaru 4EAT transmission that was offered with my car weighed about 80 lbs more than the manual, that's not huge, but it does make a difference.

Manual is way better for driving on gravel and snow as well, but autos can shift faster than any human being...when they're working properly.

Huge BHP Supra's... are apparently better in auto than manual.

All Supras are ''better'' as Autos in a straight line, as they shift faster than humanly possible.

The only major problem with an auto box from my experience is you can't 'engine brake' like you can in a manual, which is useless for track driving.