It's here.. the new PEN.

nomix

True Viking
Car(s)
Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
For those who've missed it, Olympus launched their m4/3 body today, the Olympus PEN. It's a "remake" of the classic Olympus PEN F.

It's a compact rangefinder-sized system camera using the sensor from a fourthirds dSLR-camera.

Specs:

* 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor
* Two new kit lenses (14-42mm M.Zuiko and 17mm F2.8 Pancake)
* TruePic V image processor
* 3.0" LCD screen (fixed, 230k dot resolution)
* HD movies (720p) with stereo sound
* Linear PCM sound recording
* 3.0 fps sequential shooting
* Built-in IS with max. 4 EV steps efficiency
* Optional Adapters for all ZUIKO DIGITAL & OM lenses
* Newly developed GUI for easier operation via Live Control
* Automatic recognition of common scenes possible with i-Auto
* Dual control dials
* Face Detection & Shadow Adjustment
* Art Filters, multi-aspect ratios, multi exposure
* In-camera raw conversion (including application of Art Filters)
* Small & stylish design

(good news in bold)

(Dpreview)

The only downside is that the camera is bloody expensive. 700 euro, for just the body from what i've read. No way in hell I'm shelling out that much.
That's about $1000 US. That's not expensive for a body. The question is: is it worth $1000? Is it as good as the similarly priced Nikon D90 or Canon 40D?

EDIT: Oh ... it's not actually an SLR with a viewfinder. I have no use for this :(

That just looks like a p&s
That's because it is.

Last edited:
Other than people with lots of money who already have a big expenisve camera and want a little guy, who the dick is going to buy this? It's not quite pocketable, so there goes the convenience of a small camera. For $800 you can get a big boy camera that weighs about the same instead. Pfft, come on guys, make a compact version of this camera - that would sell like hot cakes.

Other than people with lots of money who already have a big expenisve camera and want a little guy, who the dick is going to buy this? It's not quite pocketable, so there goes the convenience of a small camera. For $800 you can get a big boy camera that weighs about the same instead. Pfft, come on guys, make a compact version of this camera - that would sell like hot cakes.

It's about the size of a Panny LX3. A bit bigger. With the 17/2.8, it will be a little thicker, but not by that much.

As for the price, it's price at launch. Believe me, it'll be cheaper. The lenses are cheap, that's an indicator. Lenses are generally something you don't change prices on, as they are comodities that doesn't lose value by being a couple of years old. Bodies lose value faster than your new laptop. Even the new price drops like a stone.

As it is, it's to expensive. But I wouldn't worry.

Gimme one of those with a 17 and that VF, and I'll be happy like a little boy. :D

It looks like a sweet little camera, really cool actually, very retro.

But as said, costing almost 800 euros just for the body (weird that the kit prices are not just $=? conversion?) it's very, very expensive.

Sure you look trendy with your white retro styled camera of iPods, but fuck that's a lot of money for a p&s.

It says on the bottom, $700 for just the body, $800 for the 14-42mm kit, then add $100 for the 17mm/2,8. So they Europeans are getting shafted with their Euros, as usual.

Small, eh...?
EP1vsE450.jpg

Anyway, I think it's a cool little camera, very retro inspired (in fashion these days). Would be very good for people who wants a small camera but also likes the convenience of interchangeable optics. I mean, you get an adapter that fits all fourthirds lenses, or annother one for Olympus OM-series legacy lenses.

EP1FTlenses.jpg

EP1+50mmOM.jpg

And in the end, if you get any other lens than the 17mm, you're just silly. :p

If the price drops enough, i'm game. But as it stands currently, no way in hell.

Excactly.

I would have to sell my Nikon D90 to afford it. I'd rather just save up for a D700.

Must agree. The price as it stands is all wrong. But I am sure it will improve given time.

It's certainly pretty.