Mother needs a new car

Hyundai Elantra Touring, it's better than it has any right to be. Or, check if any old style Mazda 3s are kicking around. You'll get a deal and they're a great little car.

There's always the Hyundai Sonata. Great car (for that class).

If she wants some sort of combination of sporty and towing Christmas trees, theres always this.

ROOF BOX!

1238321451835_672.jpg

1238321740342_558.jpg

It belongs to a swedish ski-nutter named Jon Olsson.

Good thing it has AWD. I bet it sticks on the snow!

I too like the SX4; nice features and decent cost.

That said, Mazda 3 is also a great car.

Chevy HHR is another PT-like car if functionality is high on the list.

Nissan Rouge is possibly another choice in the semi-SUV sweepstakes.

My final suggestion is a Ford Fusion; a base model with bluetooth and stuff is a great car as well and slightly larger (if that's important).

Steve

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2009/06/16/uhmgbgtv8.jpg

It has a Buick 215 (sorry Rover 215) so it can haul not only a Christmas tree but an entire forest. Cheap to fix being that BMC/BL sold around five trillion of them every second from the Dawn of Time to 1980. The Son of Satan can be exercised from it. When it snows she can either drift it or bring a flame thrower. I bet it is more reliable than that PT as well.

Oh and if she wants something which was actually sold in the US she can get the six cylinder version.

Everytime I read one of Katwalk's threads this is all I can think about. . .

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6cNFTAoLZw[/YOUTUBE]

. . . Not Mother?

Me too, so many laugh out loud funny bits. Someone's posted the entire film on You tube in 12 parts.

Anyway...

. . . Not Mother?

Who are you comparing Katwalk to here?

Maybe the film it's self eh? a laugh a minute riot of fun... :)

. . . Not Mother?

Brings to mind RDJ's spiel from Tropic Thunder.

"They nevah go full retard."
"Tom Hanks. Forrest Gump. Slow? Yes. Retarded? NO!":mrgreen:

BTW, how about a Jetta? I rode in one today. It's decently handy, although the rear is a bit.. cozy. My shoulder was probing the face of the girl to my left, while her elbow was jabbed between my ribs. My head, also, was shoved against the roof. Damn you, limited rear headroom.

She could get a TDI Jetta estate for Christmas trees.

she fixed the pt for some reason. I'm sure it will be broken again soon. :/

Aah wow, PT Cruiser bruiser.
You know what to do, should it break again.

she fixed the pt for some reason. I'm sure it will be broken again soon. :/
Sounds like a typical Chrysler...every week there's a problem. For us, last year it was windows not working(on nearly all models, oddly enough not the PT) eventually most were recalled mostly Sebrings/Avengers. This year its the 08-09 Caravans with A/C units failing nearly simultaneously, in fact yesterday I just drove one where the A/C not working again after being fixed 2 months ago. The Sebrings/Avengers and Calibers have had some serious problems this year(dangerous for the renter) ie. torque converter blown, throttle control issues).

Last edited:
This is my smug face, after dropping all that money in the damn thing it is once again undriveable, so we had to take my car again.

Just keep reminding her that she could have had something else by now.

Nag her. Women are supposed to be good at that, so that's a skill you should develop. :D

Oh I do. I like to rub in my car has never had anything wrong that would take it off the road. "MY car works mother." See it starting up and the doors closing? See the suspension work when you go around the corner?

Ah, the joys of having auto-ignorant parents. My mom's the same way. We tried to persuade her to get a sedan, but she had her heart set on the RX330 right off the bat, which of course, was more than my dad wanted to pay. Everything else was automatically rubbish.

If you use edmunds.com's True Cost to Own tool, then perhaps you can compare the TCO of a new car (whatever it may be, just don't look at Range Rovers :p ) to what she's spent on that heaping pile of junk. She can deny what you say, but the sobering fact of how much she's spent compared to the newer car over five years may strike the right chord.

Oh I do. I like to rub in my car has never had anything wrong that would take it off the road. "MY car works mother." See it starting up and the doors closing? See the suspension work when you go around the corner?

You could tell her that you have an acquaintance whose 80s Jaguar is more reliable than her POS PT Cruiser and is laughing at her. :lol::mrgreen:

You also need to stop enabling her. Part of why she won't replace it is because whenever the PT is dead, there's YOUR car there to take - so why should she do anything?

Last edited: