To All American and British People...

To All American and British People...

• Total voters

speedycatz

Car(s)
Porsche Cayman S
Would you consider switching to km/h, instead of mph?
mph_kmh.gif

No, because what they'd do is just change the "MPH" label on speed limit signs to "KPH" and leave the numbers alone.

And Texas is hard enough to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time at 75 mph already. 75 kph is not to considered.

I would not. Mostly because it wouldn't just be the speed measurement, but also every single thing regarding distance. All of the nation's signs would have to be changed, speedometers and odometers would have to be changed. I could go on for days.

Even on the trivial side - you would even have to change your wording in conversations! Instead of saying "Yeah, I had to walk for six miles!" you would have to say "Yeah, I had to walk for ten kilometers."

Frankly, I don't know how the rest of the world did it. We'd completely have to re-learn what the numbers actually mean.

For instance, 35mpg is a pretty good number. How long would it take to learn what a good kpl is?

It might be easier to start with weights and volumes (g, kg and ml and l) and getting used to those before going to measurements of distance. The other numbers are already printed on all of the packaging. We buy soda in 2l bottles...but then we have 12oz cans. Out engines (now) are 2.5l, but we buy gas in gallons. We're a strange breed, here...and I couldn't imagine most of the country being able to switch in anything less than 2 decades.

It would be too much of an adjustment for simple minded people, which both countries are filled with.

For instance, 35mpg is a pretty good number. How long would it take to learn what a good kpl is?
The Brits measure fuel efficiency in mpg (UK gallon, not US gallon) and fill up their car using litre...

Basically, their system is messed up. They have to understand both systems as far as I'm concerned.
(Temperature: Celsius; Distance: miles, metre, yard, etc; Weight: both pound and kg)

Why bother? I don't see the advantage.

Whats the problem with miles per hour? I mean I don't find anything wrong with either km/h or mph.. just leave it the way it is, there are many more things to be done rather than this km/h vs mph war :p

No.

The metric system is a better measurement system and it makes more sense, but honestly it doesn't really matter. A speed is a speed -- doesn't matter the units as it's just a measurement, one that you don't have to convert to anything. Not to mention the trillion bazillion dollars to switch. Imagine the cost of replacing every single speed sign in your country, and then multiply that by 26, if not more.

The only time when using metric over imperial makes sense here is for scientific stuff and we already all use metric for that.

I tried to wrap my head around how much the US government has not only already spent on trying to do so in the past, but how much it would cost to actually make stick... and now I'm posting this from a hospital.

I tried to wrap my head around how much the US government has not only already spent on trying to do so in the past, but how much it would cost to actually make stick... and now I'm posting this from a hospital.

Are you Irish, by any chance?

Meh. I understand both pretty darn well. But for tradition sake, keep the imperial system.

Hmm...Imperial...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8[/YOUTUBE]

For everyday use, meaning estimating distances, weights, etc the better system is whichever one you are more familiar with. So there is no point in switching and it certainly is not worth the cost of working out all the logistics.

For science and the mathematics involved the metric system is much better and makes a lot more sense. Generally, scientists already use the metric system but there is still quite a bit of crossover between units. It can be annoying but the conversion factors are so easy to look up that it isn't that big of a deal.

1mL = 1 cm^3 how awesome is that. I still have to look up most imperial conversions even though I'm from the US.

Last edited:
I would but I'm an engineer and have thus spent the last 10 years of my life converting my brain to intuit metric. Standard conversions make me batty. I always have to look up how many quarts are in a freaking gallon. I'd much rather know there are 1000 mL in each L.

If we switched, then we wouldn't have the excuse when traveling to foreign countries of saying, "hey, I thought that '100' meant miles!" when we get caught speeding. :p