Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

And to think they were the ones who were pushing so hard for it not too long ago...
Not only bmw, but all the top teams that devoted time into the development of kers. Kers is part of the reason why 2009 is such a poor year for the usual top runners, they focused too much on making the kers system work, rather than the overall design of the cars.

The "Ask the Expert" series of interviews continues with F1's more talkative Finn...

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2009/6/9550.html

Ask the Expert - McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen

Who wrote the song ?Over the Hills and Far Away?? When did team principal Martin Whitmarsh join McLaren? How many motorcycle world championships has Valentino Rossi won? And when did Finland's national ice hockey team, Leijonat, win a gold medal? These are just some of the questions we thought McLaren?s Heikki Kovalainen would take in his stride after he agreed to be the latest participant in our personal trivia test, ?Ask the Expert?...

Q: You are from Finnish town of Suomussalmi. Can you name two other famous names from Suomussalmi?
Heikki Kovalainen: Ilmari Kianto, he?s an author and is quite famous, and a former president from Finland - Stahlberg - is originally from Suomussalmi.
Correct - he could have also said composer Osmo Tapio Raihala or NHL player Janne Pesonen.

Q: One of your favourite Finnish groups is Nightwish. But who wrote their platinum-selling record ?Over the Hills and Far Away??
HK: Sorry, I don?t know who originally wrote it.
Incorrect - it was Gary Moore.

Q: Aside from his 2008 drivers? title, your team mate Lewis Hamilton has taken three other championships in his career. Which series did he win?
HK: He won Formula Renault in 2003, then he won F3 (Euro) in 2005 and GP2 in 2006.
Correct

Q: In 2004 you won the World Series by Nissan title. Two F1 drivers, one current and one former, preceded and succeeded you as champion. Who were they?
HK: Franck Montagny won in 2003 and I finished second, and in 2005 it was Kubica.
Correct

Q: At the 2008 Hungarian Grand Prix you took your first Formula One victory. Which driver scored a maiden F1 podium that day?
HK: It has to be Timo Glock.
Correct - Glock was second for Toyota.

Q: You have a new team principal this year, Martin Whitmarsh. In what year did Whitmarsh join McLaren?
HK: Let me think a little bit. Must be something around 20 years ago - more or less.
Correct - a good guess, it was 1989.

Q: Apart from yourself, seven Finnish drivers have tackled Formula One racing, and only five have scored points. Who were those lucky few?
HK: Kimi, Hakkinen, Salo, Rosberg and JJ Lehto.
Correct - Mika Hakkinen (420 points), JJ Lehto (10), Kimi Raikkonen (540), Keke Rosberg (159.5) and Mika Salo (33).

Q: You narrowly lost out to Williams? Nico Rosberg for the 2005 GP2 series. Which former Formula One driver finished a distant third?
HK: Who was third? Let me think. A former F1 driver? Let me think! Speed?
Correct - it was indeed former Toro Rosso driver Scott Speed.

Q: McLaren tester Pedro de la Rosa has been with the team since 2003. Which singer does De la Rosa prefer above all others?
HK: I have no idea!
Incorrect - it?s ?The Boss?, Bruce Springsteen.

Q: Bruce McLaren scored his team?s first victory in 1968. Which manufacturer supplied the engine that took him across the finish line?
HK: Who was in F1 for long? A Ford? But that was only a guess not knowledge!
It must be the Finn?s lucky day - another correct guess!

Q: As a fan of ice hockey and coming from Finland, you are no doubt a fan of Finland's national ice hockey team, Leijonat. In what year did the lions win a gold medal at the world championships?
HK: 1995.
Correct

Q: You are a fan of Valentino Rossi. How many motorcycle world championships has he clinched?
HK: Eight! He was in the papers recently that?s why I know!
Correct

Q: You like watching James Bond films in your spare time. Which British secret service agency does 007 work for?
HK: MI6.
Correct - he is an officer of the British Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), more commonly known as MI6.

Q: We?ve already seen you?re a big fan of music, but do you know which Finnish musician you share a birthday with?
HK: No idea! Who? Sorvali? Have never heard of him.
Incorrect - Henri ?Trollhorn? Sorvali, guitarist and keyboard player with folk metal band Moonsorrow, was born on October 19, 1978.

Q: At your first outing at the Formula Three Macau Grand Prix in 2001 you enjoyed a pretty strong showing, finishing eighth. Can you remember which former Formula One driver took victory?
HK: Takuma Sato.
Correct

Q: You famously beat Michael Schumacher to the Race of Champions title in 2004. You lost out on the Nations Cup that day with Finnish partner Marcus Gronholm. How many world rally titles has Gronholm won in his career?
HK: He is a two time world champion. He won in 2000 and 2002.
Correct

Q: Finland has produced more world rally champions than any other country - how many?
HK: Vatanen is one, Salonen two, Kankkunen is three, Mikkola four, Makinen five, Gronholm six. I guess the correct number is seven but no name is coming to me right now.
Correct - and the missing name is (Markku) Alen

Q: One of your early F1 test drives was with the Minardi team in 2003 at Italy?s Vallelunga circuit. Which famous Italian sports car company, who briefly entered F1 in the early 1960s and 1970s, produced a car named the Vallelunga?
HK: No idea.
Incorrect - De Tomaso.

Q: You list golf among your interests. Which Finnish golfer has achieved the highest world ranking?
HK: I think it?s a bit of an older guy? Karjalainen.
Correct - Toni Karjalainen.

Q: Prior to joining McLaren, Renault were involved in virtually every stage of your single-seater motorsport career. Can you tell us how many Grands Prix Renault have won, to the nearest five?
HK: Maybe about 30 or 40?
Correct - it?s 35.

Final score: 24 points from a possible 28
Ask the Expert rating: 86%

Current leader board:
1. Heikki Kovalainen - 86%
2. Mark Webber - 84%
3. Sebastien Buemi - 72%
4. Robert Kubica - 70%
5. Jenson Button - 69%
6. Giancarlo Fisichella - 68%
7. Nico Rosberg - 66%
8= Sebastian Vettel - 64%
8= Rubens Barrichello - 64%
10. Jarno Trulli - 58%
11. Nick Heidfeld - 57%

They got the question about rally champions wrong though. Markku Alen never won the World Rally Championship, unless you count the few months he held the provisional 1986 title before FIA made a decision that took it from him (long story). He won the FIA Cup for Drivers in 1978 but that only became the World Championship on the following year.

1. Heikki Kovalainen - 86%

McLaren FTW :D Just wait till Lewis comes on...

He did get pretty easy questions too...

seriously...

$5 says the Ferrari drivers will get the hardest/most retarded questions.

Last edited:
He did get pretty easy questions too...
And a lot of correct guesses.

I mean, if only he produced some correct times last year... :(

1995 was a great year when Finland won the Ice Hockey World Champs.

Finnish airforce fighter jets flew next to the plane coming into Finland to welcome them. Thousands and thousands of people in the street :)

1995 was a great year when Finland won the Ice Hockey World Champs.

Finnish airforce fighter jets flew next to the plane coming into Finland to welcome them. Thousands and thousands of people in the street :)

:shakefist:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76511

Zander leaves Brawn team

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, June 25th 2009, 10:02 GMT

Brawn's deputy technical director Joerg Zander has left the team.

The German joined the outfit, when it was Honda, in July 2007, having had spells at BAR, Williams and BMW-Sauber.

Zander helped play a role in creating Brawn's successful BGP 001, which has won six of the first eight races of the season.

A Brawn GP spokeswoman confirmed Zander had left last Friday.

"Joerg contributed significantly to our success so far this season for which we thank him and wish him all the best for the future," she said.

Oops...

So why did he left?

Manor F1 to be named as Virgin?
26 June 2009

Strong rumours are suggesting that Richard Brandon's Virgin brand, currently in partnership with the Brawn GP team, will be linking up with the new Manor F1 team next year and possibly running with Virgin as the name of the outfit.

After entrepreneur Branson revealed to the BBC's Radio 5 Live on Sunday morning that his company and the Brawn team are likely to part company at the end of the season, the broadcaster now believes that the Londoner may have already signed a contract with Manor for 2010, with the team likely to be named after the worldwide label.

As Manor - the former team of World Champion Lewis Hamilton in Formula Renault, British F3 and the F3 Euroseries - prepares for the big jump to F1, Branson has already played down the chances of Virgin remaining with the championship-leading Brawn squad. "We at Virgin have most likely got the mileage we needed from it," he said five days ago. "Their value has gone from next to nothing to 50 million pounds a year - we're delighted for them and we'll have had a fantastic year with them."

Source

I wonder if Brawn have anymore sponsors lined up to replace Virgin.

How odd. Would Brawn be too expensive for them? I would have thought the BrawnGP image was a perfect fit to that of the Virgin brand. Either way, I'm surprised they haven't been able to put more names on that car, given the huge success and huge publicity they've garnered. Whenever someone speaks of Formula 1 this year, even if they know nothing about the sport, knows the story of Brawn and the underdog success story they've had.