F1 teams to set up rival series

FIA release statement following meeting

After a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday, Formula One racing?s governing body, the FIA, issued the following statement:

All currently competing teams have committed to the FIA Formula One World Championship.

There will be no alternative series or championship and the rules for 2010 onwards will be the 2009 regulations as well as further regulations agreed prior to 29 April 2009.

As part of this agreement, the teams will, within two years, reduce the costs of competing in the championship to the level of the early 1990s. The manufacturer teams have agreed to assist the new entries for 2010 by providing technical assistance.

The manufacturer teams have further agreed to the permanent and continuing role of the FIA as the sport?s governing body. They have also committed to the commercial arrangements for the FIA Formula One World Championship until 2012 and have agreed to renegotiate and extend this contract before the end of that period.

All teams will adhere to an upgraded version of the governance provisions of the 1998 Concorde Agreement.

The following teams have been accepted for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship.

TEAM / CONSTRUCTOR
SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO / FERRARI
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES / McLAREN MERCEDES
BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM / BMW SAUBER
RENAULT F1 TEAM / RENAULT
PANASONIC TOYOTA RACING / TOYOTA
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO / STR TBA
RED BULL RACING / RBR TBA
AT&T WILLIAMS / WILLIAMS TOYOTA
FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM / FORCE INDIA MERCEDES
BRAWN GP FORMULA ONE TEAM / BRAWN TBA
CAMPOS META TEAM / CAMPOS COSWORTH
MANOR GRAND PRIX / MANOR COSWORTH
TEAM US F1 / TEAM US F1 COSWORTH

In view of this new agreement and with the prospect of a stable future for Formula One, FIA President Max Mosley has confirmed his decision not to stand for re-election in October this year.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9551.html

homer_woohoo.jpg

I'm relieved. :)

If Mosley leaves, then it's certainly a good thing! And it seems that the teams get to lower the budget more on their terms than power-crazy Mosley's terms.

One thing you have to wonder though, is what about the three new teams? They entered when they thought there was a 40 million budget limit. They're pretty much screwed, aren't they? :b

US F1 won't mind at least, since they had planned on entering anyway. The other two might get a bit annoyed, though.

So what happens to the Cosworth engine limitations or lack there of?
Presumably they would have to follow the same rules as everyone else?

...Thank god for that...I mean the FOTA series was exciting and everything, this is the way it was supposed to be...tbh I expected this all along, it's just that lately they had me quite worried :p

...Thank god for that...I mean the FOTA series was exciting and everything, this is the way it was supposed to be...tbh I expected this all along, it's just that lately they had me quite worried :p
I didn't doubt for a second that they won't stay under mosley's dictatorship, now that he agreed to step down there's no more reason for dispute as his budget cap was thrown out with him.

oh and about Spanky leaving

hellyeah_.jpg

WOO HOO!

By the looks of it, Mosley agreed to step down, FIA ditched dual regulations and all new "initiatives", - accepted FOTA conditions and will approve whatever cost cuttong measures FOTA will figure out tommorow.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that we're going to see two very contrasting faces in the paddock in 2 weeks' time. Bernie will suddenly look 20 years younger again, and Max will look as if all his ships have sunk to the depths of Challenger Deep.

Woohoo, let's party, excellent... yes. Rules for 2010 as they are for 2009, yes. But...

Who's to say Bernie won't have another crack at getting his "most wins takes the championship irrespective of points" malarkey accepted through the back door? Hell be thinking to himself that everyone was so caught up in the threat of a breakaway series that they'd all forgotten about his plans to make all the points worthless. FOTA may also have their plans for the 12-9-6 system thrust back into the public eye as well.

I've been watching F1 too long to know that this is not the end of the whole saga. It is probably not even the beginning of the end. But it may be the end of the beginning. Who was it who said that?

So what, refuling ban or not for 2010?
Good point - I'd almost forgotten about that. If the teams who have started work on the 2010 cars have been designing them around having a fuel tank that's good for an entire race at Monza, and are about to be told they can refuel next year, there are going to be a lot of very pissed off designers down the pitlane... except Adrian Newey, who can design a race-winning car in about five minutes.

Last edited:
Surprise surprise :rolleyes:

There will be no alternative series or championship and the rules for 2010 onwards will be the 2009 regulations as well as further regulations agreed prior to 29 April 2009.

I assume therefore that refuelling will still be banned and the front tyre width will still be reduced?