the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

I was thinking... I also like to listen to soundtracks to things (specifically Halo and Half-life yes nerdy but they are good). I doubt Grados/MS would sound good with that, but I'd only listen to them a little amount compared to how much I will listen to rock. So do you think thats worth pushing me to go for the Senn HD650s?

Also. I found a used pair of Ultrasone HFI-780s for 170$ shipped, are this something to consider or in a different league?

A 4.1 is really unconventional as well

I was thinking... I also like to listen to soundtracks to things (specifically Halo and Half-life yes nerdy but they are good). I doubt Grados/MS would sound good with that, but I'd only listen to them a little amount compared to how much I will listen to rock. So do you think thats worth pushing me to go for the Senn HD650s?

Also. I found a used pair of Ultrasone HFI-780s for 170$ shipped, are this something to consider or in a different league?

The HD650 will be in another league all together.

Yeah, if you want something more balanced the HD650 will be a much nicer choice than the Grados.

Mmm.. The Halo soundtracks are awesome. Especially "Unforgotten". I have a pair of Head-Direct RE2. Really good bang for the buck.

Yeah, if you want something more balanced the HD650 will be a much nicer choice than the Grados.
I'm currently listening to some records I review using a HD 650 and a Beyerdynamic A1, and without bending myself into any direction I can say that this very neutral, clean, dynamic and extremely appealing. It works for all kinds of music, and I have a constant urge to turn it louder and louder, which basically shows that something must be right on this setup. Thus, I can only say that buying the 650 would in no way be a mistake.

Last edited:

Yeah...thats what I've been thinking, and as I do I realize how deaper my wallet will be hurt by this. I can't really find any HD650's for that cheap, plus those need a good amp to boot.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-hd650-stand-yulong-dah1-431316/

All I found for Senn's so far is that, which is out of my price range, as I see it as 325 a piece, which seems a lot for the Senns, and I found the Yulong for 265$ on another website.

Also NSX, I just found you on head-fi, and do you think I should make my own WTF thread there? Or just attempt to scope out a used pair that show up?

Secondly what do you think is a good price for the Senns?

Last edited:
I lost the bid on the S330s. Someone out sniped me!

I just had a thought about it, and decided to increase my 'willing to spend' to about AU$100. I'm looking at getting the Logitech X540 if there's no other recommendations

I lost the bid on the S330s. Someone out sniped me!

I just had a thought about it, and decided to increase my 'willing to spend' to about AU$100. I'm looking at getting the Logitech X540 if there's no other recommendations
Given the limited offerings, surely not a false decision. This will only connect analogue, but at least upmix 2.0 to (fake, but anyway) 5.1.

What about any 2.1 speakers? Are they better than a 5.1 at this price? Would you recommend the Z2300?

Last edited:
Yeah...thats what I've been thinking, and as I do I realize how deaper my wallet will be hurt by this. I can't really find any HD650's for that cheap, plus those need a good amp to boot.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-hd650-stand-yulong-dah1-431316/

All I found for Senn's so far is that, which is out of my price range, as I see it as 325 a piece, which seems a lot for the Senns, and I found the Yulong for 265$ on another website.

Also NSX, I just found you on head-fi, and do you think I should make my own WTF thread there? Or just attempt to scope out a used pair that show up?

Secondly what do you think is a good price for the Senns?

Last time I was looking at HD650s they were hovering around the $350USD mark, and prices tend to be quiet stable once you get to this level of headphones.

Yep, a WTB thread there in the headphone section would be good.

Also, whilst it feels painful blowing that much on the HD650 now, I'd say that it'll be well worth it in the long run.
I was like you when I first got into this hobby, but then quickly realized that buying mid-level equipment was only going to make me want the top-shelve stuff even more, so I saved up by working 2 jobs over the summer holiday and just ended up buying the quiet-expensive-for-a-student Ultrasone Pro 900, which was worth every penny.

Spend as much money on possible on headphones first. Headphones will give you the biggest improvement in sound, and the rest of the stuff like tube amplifiers and CD players can be purchased later on when you have more funds and also developed an idea of what kind of sound you really like.

The audiophile journey is a long one. Enjoy!

What about any 2.1 speakers? Are they better than a 5.1 at this price? Would you recommend the Z2300?
Not necessarily. They're okay for the price, but I think that the X540 is better for the money.

Another question for the HD650s, if I plugged it into my reciever that takes in xbox sound would I need to use an amp? Right now I found a pair for 335$ on Head-fi and I don't have the cash for an amp atm so I am wondering if that will be good enough.

Secondly, I got x-540 for 26.99 last year, and for the price they are definetly worth it, For $100 bucks? I don't know, my Bose Tri-ports sound better than they do.

Another question for the HD650s, if I plugged it into my reciever that takes in xbox sound would I need to use an amp? Right now I found a pair for 335$ on Head-fi and I don't have the cash for an amp atm so I am wondering if that will be good enough.

Secondly, I got x-540 for 26.99 last year, and for the price they are definetly worth it, For $100 bucks? I don't know, my Bose Tri-ports sound better than they do.
That was in US? I'm in australia. Tech stuff here are more expensive than saffron

^I buy most of my gear 2nd hand from the US. Much cheaper even with shipping costs included.

Hmm.. I'll try that option out next time

Technically this will of course work, and it will likely sound okay. The leap when getting a proper headphone amp however will be big.

But wither way, you will still need a pair of good headphones to start with before considering source compoments NAIDNAC A