[13x02] June 28th, 2009

[13x02] June 28th, 2009

• Total voters
The return of E.S. Posthumus (especially weird to hear the CBS NFL theme on TG).

So THAT's what that was! I kept trying to figure out what that bit of music was that I recognized (not a huge football fan) and then the What's that Song thread didn't help because, of course, the song's title meant nothing to me. Interesting.

8/10

Solid episode. The McLaren race was awesome, as was the Murci SV test in the beginning. I love when TopGear does serious car segments. They're always fun, exciting, and intelligent. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the cheap car challenge was dumb and pointless, but still very funny. Even though most of it was staged, I laughed hard when Jeremy was trying to sneak his Volvo up to the house at night. :lol:

Even though most of it was staged, I laughed hard when Jeremy was trying to sneak his Volvo up to the house at night. :lol:
All TG challenges seem to be staged now...but man theyre hilarious.

Man it looks like they used all the supercars they had lined up for this season and its only the second episode...the new murcielago, a veyron, a f1, and even used the SLR a bit.

10/10 It had super cars and it had laughs. It had the new SV and an SLR. It had a McLaren F1 and it had a Veyron. I can't ask for anything more.

awesome episode the cheap car segment was hilarious.

The super car showdown in Abu Dhabi was spectacular

The reason I made the comparison with the 2 rs4 engines is to emphasize the role of the turbos and to make sense of the somewhat unexpected finish of that race.
You found the win of the Veyron unexpected? According to Jeremy Clarkson in an earlier episode, you would be able to let the McLaren F1 get to 120 mph, and the Veyron would still beat it to 200 mph. According to acceleration figures, the Veyron should have trounced the F1. But it won - just. That is something that needs explaining. Likely, the heat had a much bigger impact on the turboed engine of the Veyron in comparison to not much loss of the McLaren's N/A machine, like others have said.

I think the cooling of the central banks is not an issue(actually, nothing is an issue anymore because they built it and it works,so...) because they announced a 1200 HP Sport version (Veyron Sport-how ridiculous is that:1001Hp hypercar with a Sport version:someone must have thought:Man,this feels a little anemic,it could sure use another 200 horses!) a year ago.If there were a cooling problem,they could not have increased the power by 20%.
20% actually isn't that much for an engine with forced induction, every chip of some tuner would give you that. Also, VR and thus W engines already are questionable when it comes to cooling due to the ultracompact packaging of the cylinders. Have you ever asked yourself why the engine of the Veyron needs 10 radiators and has a completely open engine bay?

Or to quote Bugatti's technical director Wolfgang Schreiber:"The cooling was a huge issue at first, the engine's power was just a figure on paper."

Fail! SV is indeed short for SportVeloce.
Prove it!

The prank Jezza & Hammond pulled on May...when he first hears the music I laughed hysterically what felt like an eternity.

The review of the absolutely evil Murcielago SV. Do they get any better than that?

A great news segment. A great guest. The wildest cars on earth. Captain Slow getting pranked.

For me, this was a perfect episode. 10/10

Reactions: MWF
You found the win of the Veyron unexpected?

You didn't understand a freakin' thing! NO,NO,NO I found the small gap unexpected; I was expecting the gap to be bigger , over a 1.6km race.

"According to Jeremy Clarkson in an earlier episode, you would be able to let the McLaren F1 get to 120 mph, and the Veyron would still beat it to 200 mph. "

I already said that, I don't know why you have re-written it(Bugatti 0-300 time smaller than McLaren's 200-300).

20% actually isn't that much for an engine with forced induction, every chip of some tuner would give you that. Also, VR and thus W engines already are questionable when it comes to cooling due to the ultracompact packaging of the cylinders. Have you ever asked yourself why the engine of the Veyron needs 10 radiators and has a completely open engine bay?

Before you post something, you should read what has been said on that subject.Or,perhaps you just didn't understand anything.What I said about the 20% increase is: IF YOU HAVE COOLING PROBLEMS, YOU CAN'T INCREASE THE ENGINE'S POWER OUTPUT!!! So they couldn't have made the increase if they had cooling issues and since they did make the rise in power, there is no problem with heat.I can't spell it much clearer than that.
JESUS H.CHRIST !

Last edited:
Just about the perfect top gear episode - really points out the glaring problems with TGA - the challenges always reach a conclusion!

James' stereo, the stig and the photocopier and Oh the work in Abu Dhabi... SLR722, Lamborghini, Bugatti & Mclaren!

Can't give it a 10 as nothing is perfect but this was close!

You didn't understand a freakin' thing! NO,NO,NO I found the small gap unexpected; I was expecting the gap to be bigger , over a 1.6km race.

I already said that, I don't know why you have re-written it(Bugatti 0-300 time smaller than McLaren's 200-300).

Before you post something, you should read what has been said on that subject.Or,perhaps you just didn't understand anything.What I said about the 20% increase is: IF YOU HAVE COOLING PROBLEMS, YOU CAN'T INCREASE THE ENGINE'S POWER OUTPUT!!! So they couldn't have made the increase if they had cooling issues and since they did make the rise in power, there is no problem with heat.I can't spell it much clearer than that.
JESUS H.CHRIST !
Why so worked up? Do you need to get laid or something? :mrgreen:

As for the outcome of the race, we obviously agree. I must confess I didn't follow your previous statements very closely, but since we basically said the same things, I suppose we don't need to discuss that any further.

In terms of cooling however, getting the Veyron's engine in line obviously was a difficult task, hence the long development. Seems like they solved the cooling problems for the standard engine (the obviously decreasing power at high temperatures aside). Yet, who says that they didn't need to go a few steps further to get more power out of the engine? The fact that they will present a 1,200 hp version (if they will) doesn't mean that they didn't need to rework the cooling big time.

loved it, watched scene by scene of the top gear office to see if there are any other hidden stuff haha
and the some of the female audience. :O (<-- finds very disturbing that i am posting this XD)

Good show as usual although I couldn't help feeling that James's car stereo sabotage was scripted in advance, even if the glue could set in a couple of minutes with enough strength to seal off the buttons, he could have simply opened the fusebox and removed the fuse for the stereo.

Yeah but where's the fun in that? Love your picture BTW.

Before you post something, you should read what has been said on that subject.

Maybe you should try the same...

Or,perhaps you just didn't understand anything.What I said about the 20% increase is: IF YOU HAVE COOLING PROBLEMS, YOU CAN'T INCREASE THE ENGINE'S POWER OUTPUT!!! So they couldn't have made the increase if they had cooling issues and since they did make the rise in power, there is no problem with heat.I can't spell it much clearer than that.
JESUS H.CHRIST !

There is a single Veyron Pegaso in the world, in the original press release three years ago 1200bhp was the stated power. There are however no actual power figures for the final car, Bugatti went quiet on it. Considering how much noise they'd make if the car actually produced 1200hp, it's fairly safe to assume that some sort of problem (cooling?) that left them short.

I wanted a Golf when I was 17 was a Golf but thinking about it now I think i would like a Volvo With that bed in the back, brilliant. The Will Young pic was a good touch too.

The challenge was good, but not as good as last week's race.

Lambo LP670-4 SV, that car looks and sounds amazing.

Veyron vs McLaren F1, I thought it would be a lot closer. I didn't think the Veyron's aerodynamic advantages will show at the relatively low speeds.

9/10.

Veyron vs McLaren F1, I thought it would be a lot closer. I didn't think the Veyron's aerodynamic advantages will show at the relatively low speeds.

9/10.

It was pretty close to be fair and at the start the F1 was incredible. The Veyron was always going to win though.