Random Thoughts....

Anyone else think that people who drive when drunk deserve the harshest punishment if caught? I really hate when people drive drunk and get away with it. They should slam in to a wall (instead of a sober driver) and have the worst injuries possible so when they sober up the won't drive drunk again. That or have drunks hit drunks and die :) Less drunk drivers ftw!

Yes, and people who talk/text on their phone while driving, and the gobshite learners who drive unaccompanied and/or peel off their L plates so they can drive around

Also, people who park illegally in disabled spaces deserve several blows to the kneecap with a jagged crow bar :mad:

And on a side note, stupid Gardai and Traffic Corp in Ireland who couldn't be bothered enforcing the law properly.

There was a traffic watch show on a while ago. A mother in an X5 was stopped for talking on the phone, L plates laying on the front passenger seat, presented a provisional license, kids in the back without seat belts, and I think her tax disk was expired.
All she got was a fucking warning!!

Anyone else think that people who drive when drunk deserve the harshest punishment if caught?
Drunk driving in UK, the minimum punishment is a one year ban plus a large fine ?200 plus. Varies with the amount over the limit and circumstances, so 15 to 24 months is not uncommon.
Also, when the ban is finished, their car insurance will increase by 150 to 200 %, if they can get cover at all.
(Note: Driving drunk again whilst under a ban can get you jail time.)

I really hate when people drive drunk and get away with it.
They should slam in to a wall (instead of a sober driver) and have the worst injuries possible so when they sober up the won't drive drunk again. That or have drunks hit drunks and die :)
Less drunk drivers ftw!

Unfortunately that never happens, they have a 50:50 chance of killing themselves and someone random person.

Yes, and people who talk/text on their phone while driving, and the gobshite learners who drive unaccompanied and/or peel off their L plates so they can drive around

Also, people who park illegally in disabled spaces deserve several blows to the kneecap with a jagged crow bar :mad:

And on a side note, stupid Gardai and Traffic Corp in Ireland who couldn't be bothered enforcing the law properly.

There was a traffic watch show on a while ago.

A mother in an X5 was stopped for talking on the phone, L plates laying on the front passenger seat, presented a provisional license, kids in the back without seat belts, and I think her tax disk was expired.
All she got was a fucking warning!!

This is what the X5 driver would get for that here:

Using a vehicle otherwise in accordance with the licence = 3 points plus fine
Driving a vehicle whilst uninsured = 6 points plus BIG fine
Driving whilst using a mobile phone- = 6 points plus ?60 fine
Vehicle instantly towed & impounded - ?120 fixed plus ?15 per day for two weeks then vehicle sold by Police to recover monies.
Fine for the driver of every minor un-belted being carried in the car ?30 each.

Total about ?200 in fines, several months ban plus ?120 minimum towing & storage charge.

This is what would happen, not what could happen especially in a situation where a learner is driving a large, powerful car such as an X5.

(Bonus: when she got her licence back, her insurance would significantly increase if she could still get cover.)

Note 1 : Unsupervised Learner = Vehicle is de facto NOT insured.
Note 2 : Clean licence = zero points, max naughty points = 12 then you are banned for X months at a time.

This is what the X5 driver would get for that here:

Using a vehicle otherwise in accordance with the licence = 3 points plus fine
Driving a vehicle whilst uninsured = 6 points plus BIG fine
Driving whilst using a mobile phone- = 6 points plus ?60 fine
Vehicle instantly towed & impounded - ?120 fixed plus ?15 per day for two weeks then vehicle sold by Police to recover monies.
Fine for the driver of every minor un-belted being carried in the car ?30 each.

Total about ?200 in fines, several months ban plus ?120 minimum towing & storage charge.

This is what would happen, not what could happen especially in a situation where a learner is driving a large, powerful car such as an X5.

(Bonus: when she got her licence back, her insurance would significantly increase if she could still get cover.)

Note 1 : Unsupervised Learner = Vehicle is de facto NOT insured.
Note 2 : Clean licence = zero points, max naughty points = 12 then you are banned for X months at a time.

The Irish system is a joke.
The law for learner drivers being accompanied by a fully licensed driver of at least 2 years only came into effect over the last couple of years.

Sure, a few people have been caught and fined, but most get off with a slap on the wrist, if not even that!

Every day when I'm around, I see people drivng around on their own with their L plates up, or proudly saying they take down their L plates so they won't get caught.

I made the mistake of driving with a friend of mine, who was driving with about 6 months experience, on a permit. I swear to god, that bitch nearly damned killed me on the roundabout!!!

It just annoys me when some people insist on being the acception.:mad:

Sorry, I'm in a very ranty mood today...:D

Firefox is annoying the fuck out of me at the moment.

Everytime I finish loading a picture and want to save it, I right click and select save as, but then it doesn't pick up the fact that I'm trying to save a jpeg/bmp/whatever and instead just defaults to a file name of URL and tries to save it as an HTML file.....

Any ideas? Its driving me up the wall at the moment :mad:

^ Format your hard drive and reinstall Windows. :p

/Seriously, I'd take it up with their support forums.

I just did :p

I did a completely clean install of 32bit Vista last night since the previous install was an update from XP, and it was buggy as hell.

Yes but in the UK how often do they get the punishment that is written by law? It seems that no one ever gets the full penalty of drunk driving whether it be the fine, suspended license, jail time, etc. They always seem to cop out for community service hours and getting a stupid lawyer that will reduce your sentencing and or terms. Hearing the lawyers who will represent someone who got a DUI ticks me off. You get a DUI, deal with it. Also, I know in California that if you leave a party drunk, the host of the party is also at fault for letting you leave in that state. :)

So, my brother's taken my mother's car for they day, so I'll have to run her out to some godforsaken country town this afternoon so she can catch up with her work colleagues / friends at some tourist trap cafe. I'll have to spend the afternoon in a few of the eclectic book & junk shops shops or something, her friends bore me to death. :?
However, the route to and from this place has a very twisty, undulating section. She's one of these people that takes corners at the speed recommended on those yellow signs, while I tend to take them, in my car at least, at 100 km/h. I like scaring her. :evil:

So, my brother's taken my mother's car for they day, so I'll have to run her out to some godforsaken country town this afternoon so she can catch up with her work colleagues / friends at some tourist trap cafe. I'll have to spend the afternoon in a few of the eclectic book & junk shops shops or something, her friends bore me to death. :?
However, the route to and from this place has a very twisty, undulating section. She's one of these people that takes corners at the speed recommended on those yellow signs, while I tend to take them, in my car at least, at 100 km/h. I like scaring her. :evil:

Send me any old fountain pens you may find in the junk shops :lol:

ROFL

Don't worry, I'm not a VTEC, yo! Kinda person. The road in question really begs for an MX5 or 205 GTi. 100 km/h is the speed limit there anyway, I won't take it any faster. The understeery - ness gets a bit scary for me over that anyway. Heh.

ROFL

Don't worry, I'm not a VTEC, yo! Kinda person. The road in question really begs for an MX5 or 205 GTi. 100 km/h is the speed limit there anyway, I won't take it any faster. The understeery - ness gets a bit scary for me over that anyway. Heh.

Li-li-lim....it?

:p

Anyone else think that people who drive when drunk deserve the harshest punishment if caught? I really hate when people drive drunk and get away with it. They should slam in to a wall (instead of a sober driver) and have the worst injuries possible so when they sober up the won't drive drunk again. That or have drunks hit drunks and die :) Less drunk drivers ftw!

I was great friends with a guy who used to always drink and drive... and I don't mean one beer and then a quick ride home.

Funny thing is, I know he took so much pride in being very mature for his age and being worldly or whatever... and he kind of was mature in some obvious ways, but obviously not in the ways it truly matters.

I didn't stop being his friend because of drinking and driving, though that's as good as any reason I guess because it just shows a lack of moral character. Everyone knows once you've downed the liquor you will feel confident and like you can drive real well... the hard part is remembering that you are drunk off your ass when you're indeed drunk off your ass.

Last edited:
I know its hard to know you're actually drunk, when drunk (I've seen friends, never been myself). The point stands...

I go to a friend's house once in a while, and get drunk, and he knows better than to let us leave drunk so he always takes our keys as soon as we walk in if he knows we've got the intent of getting drunk. That's just how it works. No chances taken here. :)

I go to a friend's house once in a while, and get drunk, and he knows better than to let us leave drunk so he always takes our keys as soon as we walk in if he knows we've got the intent of getting drunk. That's just how it works. No chances taken here. :)

See, now that's a good party host. Bake him a cake in thanks! :thumbsup:

I know its hard to know you're actually drunk, when drunk (I've seen friends, never been myself). The point stands...

I wasn't defending drunk drivers... what I'm saying is alcohol makes you lose all your inhibitions, concerns and worries. So once you drink it's quite easy to think you are perfectly capable of driving a car safely. You come up with all sorts of excuses why driving at that point in time makes sense.

That's why people should plan ahead, not do what my stupid ex-friend used to do which was skirt the issue all night and then just drive off at the end when nobody was looking.

Worst part is, I think he's just this way because he's too cheap for taxis. Personally, I figure I can't even walk properly after drinking so there is no way I could drive a car safely while drunk.

Question, would you feel owned if you were like 45 being managed by me :p

I have no pity for drunk drivers, but I did hear a story from a guy I met who got a DUI. He was driving home from a party after having a few drinks and saw some police lights up ahead. Turned out someone had gotten in an accident and the police were there taking a report. As the guy passes the scene, he gets slammed into from behind by some woman who was rubber necking. Too interested in the flashy lights to pay attention to where she was going. Slammed into the guy doing about 30mph faster then he was, both cars wrecked beyond repair. Police come over and start taking the report. They smell alcohol on his breath, slam, DUI. It was just ironic that the drunk was the safer driver and the sober moron was the one who could've gotten someone killed. And because he was drunk, guess who received blame for the accident? Yeah...

I swear that I know at least a half dozen people who can be piss drunk and still drive better then some morons out there.