NSW Govt approval needed to lower cars

I am willing to bet that if I ask for permission to lower my car because I'd like to get some coilovers so I can have a more competitive autocross car, they will tell me to screw off. Its my car, my life, my money, and by god I will do whatever the fuck I want with it.

Reactions: VR6
Its my car, my life, my money, and by god I will do whatever the fuck I want with it.
... but it's their roads. :p

I'm not damaging their roads in any way, shape, or form by lowering my car (unless its scraping, but I'm not into that). I'm honestly sick and tired of our rights being taken away. If I want a lifted truck or a slammed dub, who are they to tell me that I can't have one? I made enough money for the car I want, paid my taxes. Now leave me alone and let me do what I want to do. My lowered or raised car or truck doesn't hurt anyone but it gives me pleasure in my otherwise boring 40-hours-a-week life.

It is our roads considering we pay the taxes that go to their construction/upkeep. At least that is supposed to be the way it works.

Also, what the hell is it with all these laws in the name of safety? Sure massive lifts and drops will affect the physics of a car but they're using that to justify this? Have they any clue, statistics or what have you that say that this is warranted?? Fuck these no fun assholes. When does this stop?

I haven't seen people bashing the situation regarding car mods in i.e. Germany anywhere on this forum yet, so I don't quite get why some people, who are not even affected, feel such an outrage when one part of Australia wants to introduce a similar law. :blink: :p

Just a few things to consider:

- as said before, massively lowered cars need to go over humps and bumps slowly. More than once have I been behind a guy who basically stopped on the spot because he underestimated a hump and thus braked hard.

- I've been to Queensland (area Maryborough), and the roads were bad. Really bad.

Now, combine these two things, and imagine a guy in a lowered car slams his brakes because of a pothole, and you run into him. Wouldn't you like to have an institution that monitors the lowering of cars to prevent such things from happening?

This affects me because I think Cali has similar laws and the way things are going I really won't be surprised to see them pop up in my state soon.

Just a few things to consider:

- as said before, massively lowered cars need to go over humps and bumps slowly. More than once have I been behind a guy who basically stopped on the spot because he underestimated a hump and thus braked hard.

- I've been to Queensland (area Maryborough), and the roads were bad. Really bad.

Now, combine these two things, and imagine a guy in a lowered car slams his brakes because of a pothole, and you run into him. Wouldn't you like to have an institution that monitors the lowering of cars to prevent such things from happening?
Someone slowing down to 1mph from 25mph to go over a speed bump annoys me a hell of a lot less than people hogging lanes in traffic with no one in front of them for a quarter of a mile, yet we don't see any legislation being introduced to remedy that problem. There are plenty of other much more important things for the government to worry about.

On the flipside how does Australia feel about jacked-up cars and trucks? Having such a high center of gravity seems to be far more dangerous especially on uneven terrain due to the increased rollover factor.

<= What about when lowering the car fixes the handling? :p

Someone slowing down to 1mph from 25mph to go over a speed bump annoys me a hell of a lot less than people hogging lanes in traffic with no one in front of them for a quarter of a mile, yet we don't see any legislation being introduced to remedy that problem. There are plenty of other much more important things for the government to worry about.
I don't know about Australia, but in Germany, lane-hogging is illegal. And I find lane-hoggers terribly annoying as well, yet, in the very moment, it is less dangerous than a car breaking heavily for no apparent reason right in front of you.

Braking.....how. The Fuck. Does a car's height have to do anything with the braking ?!?

Slam a car down low, you can potentially create a lot of camber in the tires (i.e., they are leaned inwards at the top).

High camber = smaller contact patch

Smaller contact patch = less grip

less grip = less braking.

That's aside from cars like that with near-zero suspension compliance, so as it "buckboards" across the road the wheels get unweighted and provide even less grip (and thus less braking ability) etc...

Not saying I'm in favor of the law, but if you think there's no physics or facts behind the statements...you're wrong.

Steve

That is why you get an alingment.

Slam a car down low, you can potentially create a lot of camber in the tires (i.e., they are leaned inwards at the top).

That's aside from cars like that with near-zero suspension compliance, so as it "buckboards" across the road the wheels get unweighted and provide even less grip (and thus less braking ability) etc...

Not saying I'm in favor of the law, but if you think there's no physics or facts behind the statements...you're wrong.

Steve

You would need to do very serious suspension mods to affect it to the point where it makes a noticeable difference on public roads.

You rarely get into an accident on a public road when you could have stopped. You are either far enough from a car in front of you to slow down in time or brake ahead of time. I mean if your lowered car with crazy camber takes 40 feet to stop you will leave 50 between you and the car otherwise the problem is the driver not the vehicle.....

Most accidents happen because you are not paying attention not because of vehicle characteristics.

While I do agree that the vast majority of accidents are not down to a few foot difference in stopping distances, braking is still a very important aspect of automobile safety. I'll give you an example. A good friend of mine had a CRX, until he crashed it a few weeks ago. One day we were heading to an autocross early in the morning and we were cruising relatively quickly on the empty highway. There was very very light traffic and they were going fast too, so don't think that we were speeding like maniacs. Some imbecile in a Grand Cherokee decided that it would be a great idea to ride the CRX's ass. The car weighed under 2000lbs and had racing brakes on it... it was definitely the wrong car to tailgate. At one point my buddy spotted a cruiser up ahead and hit the brakes. The numbnuts in the Jeep almost rear-ended the Honda and ended up getting pulled over because of it. Yes, he should have kept more distance between him and the CRX, but having good brakes would have prevented him from eating up the 3 feet of room he had in front of him and almost causing a serious wreck.

Meh. The law here just states "No modifications. Period." Insurance companies also can deny to cover your car if it?s been modified in any way.
If we did like Germany, I would be VERY happy, because we could have properly modified cars, but instead, authorities just tells us to fuck off, even if I want to install my T?V-approved Eibachs. <_<

Steve

Hmm....that actually makes sense. Thanks, never considered the camber-issue you pointed out.

While I do agree that the vast majority of accidents are not down to a few foot difference in stopping distances, braking is still a very important aspect of automobile safety. I'll give you an example. A good friend of mine had a CRX, until he crashed it a few weeks ago. One day we were heading to an autocross early in the morning and we were cruising relatively quickly on the empty highway. There was very very light traffic and they were going fast too, so don't think that we were speeding like maniacs. Some imbecile in a Grand Cherokee decided that it would be a great idea to ride the CRX's ass. The car weighed under 2000lbs and had racing brakes on it... it was definitely the wrong car to tailgate. At one point my buddy spotted a cruiser up ahead and hit the brakes. The numbnuts in the Jeep almost rear-ended the Honda and ended up getting pulled over because of it. Yes, he should have kept more distance between him and the CRX, but having good brakes would have prevented him from eating up the 3 feet of room he had in front of him and almost causing a serious wreck.

That just proves my point further the retard in the SUV was too close/fast for the characteristics of his car. He could have been driving an F1 and still be dangerously close to hitting you because of how he was driving. Bad driving habits don't change no matter what car you drive.

P.S. I just keep disagreeing with you these days :)

That just proves my point further the retard in the SUV was too close/fast for the characteristics of his car. He could have been driving an F1 and still be dangerously close to hitting you because of how he was driving. Bad driving habits don't change no matter what car you drive.
This is true, but you can still never underestimate the benefits of good brakes. Besides, I'm sure that everyone has been in a situation where they had to brake hard. Imagine if your brakes sucked ass...

P.S. I just keep disagreeing with you these days :)
:lol: right?? What's going on here? haha

Jacking the center of gravity up (as in a lifted truck) can significantly affect weight transfer - which can affect braking.

Not that I'm for this legislation, but I thought I'd throw that in there.

QFT!