BMW 325i

GRtak

Forum Addict
I tried to do a search, But BMW wouldn't even come up!?!?!?!

OK, I am going to look at a 1987 BMW 325i on Sunday. The ad only says that it has 195k miles and when my call was returned (message)it didn't sound like they knew that much about cars because they could not answer the questions I had and said I should come look it over.

So at this point I am pretty sure it is not running, but that is ok as I am looking for a project. But any advice or tips you have are appreciated.

EDIT: The ad also says 5 spd OD

I guess the big question I have is: if the timing belt is broke, will the valves hit the pistons or not?

Last edited:
BMWs don`t have timing belts. They all have timing chains, so no problem in this department. I would say that the reason it doesn`t start is an electrical failure of some sort. Other than that the i-6 is a bulletproof engine just look that there isn`t too much rust other than that if it`s going to be your project car I think will be alright.

Last edited:
Thanks for that site AiR, lots of good info.

I got another phone call about the car this morning and will be going over later today. THis time it was the owner and he told me he overheated the engine and it now has what sounds like a valve problem? I assume that is an aluminum head, does this engine have a head warping problem? How much of a PITA is the valve adjusment?

Again, any information is appreciated.

I assume that is an aluminum head, does this engine have a head warping problem? How much of a PITA is the valve adjusment?

Yes, yes and not much (rockers + excenter screw). Doesn't take much to warp an I6 head and cracks near cyl #5 aren't unheard of (after being overheated).

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the info. I am going over now to take a look, I will let you know how good/bad it is.

I am back from looking at the car, and I almost didn't go at all.

This all came together suddendly, I seen the ad for the first time Thursday night/ Friday morning. I got the itch after reading about Spectre's Honda PC 800, so I started looking through Craigslist and was getting nothing. Then after I called on it (Friday 10am)and got the voice mail, I figured it was already gone but left a message with some questions. I get a return call that I missed and all they really said was exactly like the ad: 87 BMW 325i, 195k miles, 5 speed OD, $300, but you have to come and look at it. I figured this thing was a rusted out POS. which is why I almost did not go. Then I got the second call from them this morning saying they would be there today and he told me it had been overheated.

But I had some errands to run on that side of town and since I was almost there, why not take a look? When I get there the guy starts telling me the whole story. ABout 4.5 years ago it overheated on him during a cold snap(20 below zero) and has been sitting there since. He thinks it overheated due to a broken belt but has not done much to it. Then the garage door opens as he says" The body is pretty clean other than the dust on it"
and I see this:

image003-1423.jpg

image002-1422.jpg

image004-1424.jpg

He also explained that the engine doe not rotate (by hand)and he did not force it to
You can see how thick the dust is on the roof of the car and some insulation from the garage on the driver's side door.

The body looks damn good so I am picking up the car on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am not sure that it is an 87 though. The 325 emblem on the trunk lid was missing the letter but the gunk looks like an E so it may be a bit older. And it is not a 5 speed OD but an automatic 4 speed. So it is not perfect.

I know this is going to take a lot of work to get it road worthy, but it should be fun.

MINOR EDIT

Last edited:
Awesome! That's an incredibly straight body! The interior looks to be in good nick too. I'm sure there's plenty of junkyard potential out there for a full engine and tranny swap. Great find for $300!

*Looks at iPhone*
You're not an E30 BMW...
*shrugs*

Good luck with your new car! :cool:

Thanks.

I go look at a car with a running engine and a 5 speed tomorrow.

Deal on the car fell apart. The day before I was to pick it up he called and said he had to go out of town for a funeral and would be gone about 10 days. After 12 days I called him several times and got no answer. I drove by there a few times and nobody home. Finally caught up to him today(drove by again) and he was there, the car was out in the driveway. I walk up to the car and notice the windsheild is now cracked and the hood is dented badly. I go to the door and knock, he comes out yelling at me for not calling and demanding final payment. I ask what happened to the car, he plays stupid then starts yelling at the kid(14 or 15). I ask for my money back, small arguement, remind him I have pics of car, get money then leave.

Already looking for something else.

Wow, that's a shame to hear. I've had several buyers and sellers do the same to me, fortunately, no money ever changed hands. There's plenty of E30's out there, so now worries. If you're on a sub-$1k budget like I am, just bide your time. If you're going to go cheap, the best game to play is the waiting game. When you've found a winner that you're confident that you can fix and maintain without doubt, jump on it. I'm excited to get a car now, but realistically, I'm going to end up waiting until Christmas or next summer. Good luck to ya!