Lens Flair

When you lack cars to practice panning... I guess this will have to do. I probably should have gotten lower though.

IMG_0718.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah man, I came upstairs from watching TG and there was some distant thundar and lighting to the west, it's been on top of us for 15-20 minutes. My dog doesn't want to sleep and my brother (whose car is in front of mine) is being lame and doesn't want to drive out somewhere to watch the storm. Damn all these trees around my house obstructing my view. :(

When you lack cars to practice panning... I guess this will have to do. I probably should have gotten lower though.

Pack your camera and go sit next to a highway for a few hours. It's good practice.

http://img43.imageshack.**/img43/9572/dsc1136n.jpg

main.php

Wont be posting tomorrow and its almost midnight here..

It's seriously hard to focus when there's no light... :lol: It looks like I ended up focused on the grass just behind the car, and I thought I had it too! My brother's car sitting on some grass, light painted. Since I had no clue what I was doing I ended up taking 3 pictures, and ended up combing the 3 pictures in photoshop.

http://img145.imageshack.**/img145/8738/crw9867e.jpg

Reactions: Jay
You do know that you could have autofocused on the headlamps? Or used a flashlight to add some light and focused on that...

I stuck my flashlight in the headlights, the car was off. I didn't think to try autofocusing when I stuck my torch right under the license plate, but knowing the craptacular autofocus of my camera it would've failed anyways.... on second thought, I was going for an impressionist style. Yeah, that's it.

Another technique that I use for night shots is to carry a laser pointer. When the dot becomes crisp, it's in focus. Or we could all get rich and buy lens with focus scales...

I've only known of one lens that didn't have a focus scale and that's the new Nikkor 35mm f/1.8... o_O

And don't all dslrs have AF assist? Mine has a really bright white LED that really lights up the place.

It's seriously hard to focus when there's no light... :lol: It looks like I ended up focused on the grass just behind the car, and I thought I had it too! My brother's car sitting on some grass, light painted. Since I had no clue what I was doing I ended up taking 3 pictures, and ended up combing the 3 pictures in photoshop.

[/QUOTE]

Try it again, I think it may turn out pretty neat! Sometimes the best results are done by the most ignorant on the subject, as you have stated (see bold text). :)

BTW, me using the word[I] ignorant [/I]is not to be condescending or snide, just the best word to describe what I am thinking.

Anyhow, shine on you crazy sapphire.

I've only known of one lens that didn't have a focus scale and that's the new Nikkor 35mm f/1.8... o_O

And don't all dslrs have AF assist? Mine has a really bright white LED that really lights up the place.
The Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 don't have focus scales. AF-A only works for a few meters in the middle of the night. Once it's dark, it's just dark. Some of my night stuff is shot 10m+ away so the AF-A lamp doesn't help too much.

the canon 50mm 1.8 II doesn't have a scale... or a useful focus ring... and canon DSLRs strobe the flash for AF assist, and at least on my paleolithic 300D it's pretty much useless - the af doesn't kick in until the flash strobing is almost done so it doesn't have enough time to get a lock...