Why do people like Alfa Romeo so much?

I think Top Gear may be onto something - You can't be a true petrolheed unless you've owned an Alfa, until you've experienced that pleasure and that pain

We have a teacher at college that really loves Top Gear and she also owns a GTV exactly like this one and yes it breaks all the time:lol:
2223321201_db520f82fe.jpg

Anyone who likes Alfas is alright in my book.
3.jpg

I don't know, I'd be a little dubious about dating a chick with an Alfa tattoo.

Yea, because she will be driving YOUR car most of the time...

Apart from "passion" and "soul" what are so good about them ?

What good is a car that you can't drive because it's broken all the time???

"But that just shows how much passion it has!!1 It's so passionate it can't be bothered to work! Isn't that lovely?" :p

If you like an Alfa because you like the way it drives, or because it has a nice interior, or because it looks good, etc. that's fine by me.
But saying "Alfas are so special, and everyone should have one at some point" because of their "soul" and "passion" is just some ridiculous drivel.

The original question was:"Why do people like Alfa Romeo so much?"

Why does anyone like any car brand, car, or motorcycle?

It is hard to describe to anyone that just thinks of a car as a mere machine. I know that some people love the Ford Edsel, but I never could. But cars have a way of finding the person who will fall for it. I think those that don't understand that, have simply never(been) found a car that they love(d).

I know I miss a couple of cars. But I have never felt that way about a brand, I do prefer Pontiacs and owned several. But they have made cars, or re-badged them, that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

So to answer the original question, they just do.

different cars give the driver different emotions, feelings etc.. some like alfas some bmw:s and some even peugeots. But before commenting about a car one should have driven it to make his opinions matter to me. IMO. I just love how alfa 159 and gtv6 looks.. thats my experience about them and i would love to drive both of em sometime.

No, I haven't, but excuse me if I don't want a car that I have to make slide around if I want to have any fun. If a car is not fun at all speeds then it's a bad car in my eyes and I won't have it. Case in point, my Diplomat. I know what you're thinking, and yes, I hate it's guts, and I can't wait to get rid of it, but it is immensely fun, if only because of it's hilarious terribleness.

So a car you've never driven you are writing off because you assume it has to be "slid around to be fun." What makes you think this? Have you even driven a convertible at all?

Go drive an s2000. The handling quirks and sheer entertainment from being able to take the motor to 9k will make you grin. Now drive it on a mountain road with the top down reving it out where you can. The sound of that angry 4 pot trying to scream out 240hp bouncing off the canyon walls is almost spine tingling.

How is that not "charm" or Passion? The S2000 was a car conceived and designed, not to "hit a target market", but because Honda wanted to build a kick ass sports car like no other. Others have built faster ones, others have built slower ones, heavier ones and lighter ones, but no one has quite built one like it. Why do you think the car was able to still sell so well when it cost damn near as much as a Lotus Elise after having no noticeable updates in 4 years?

poster30092041.jpg

I wrote this for the General Motorcycle thread here, but I think it also applies to this discussion to some degree.

I had an Alfa, a Spider. I will never own another Alfa because of that car. It was fun to drive... when it was running. Which was about never.

It made my Series III look as reliable as a Corolla. What good is a car that you can't drive because it's broken all the time???

My thoughts EXACTLY. Clarkson used the point that "it almost never runs right when you want it too, but when it does (and it's rare) you'll be in heaven." Really? In a FWD, front heavy v6 engined car that understeers like a pig?

I can't find enjoyment in a car that won't work right. I like to DRIVE my cars, not wish I could drive my car. I don't want to take my car up to the hills for a drive, and the moment I get 2 turns in the float stick shut and the engine die on me mid corner and have to get it towed back to my house.

The old ones are great looking cars, some of the 159 era cars are great looking cars. But FWD, transverse v6 =/= passion, charm, soul or any of that other crap, it's a god damned saab 9000 thats some how less reliable and poorly built.

I like Alfas for the looks and design, passion and all that nonsense is just marketing bullshit you have to ignore.

The sound of that angry 4 pot trying to scream out 240hp bouncing off the canyon walls is almost spine tingling.

a kick ass sports car

Not the way I'd describe "charming". That's serious. Not what I want!

Also, the S2000 gives me a headache. It sounds horrible. And the interior is utterly without life unless you get it with red and the only cool bit is the digital dials. But those aren't charming either, they're serious.

You also talk about handling quirks and high revving the motor. That's stuff you have to push to find out. So everything you just described you must go fast to enjoy, unless you wanna cruise around in first gear everywhere giving people headaches.

I had an Alfa, a Spider. I will never own another Alfa because of that car. It was fun to drive... when it was running. Which was about never.

It made my Series III look as reliable as a Corolla. What good is a car that you can't drive because it's broken all the time???

And I bet it has plenty of soul and passion as it is running most of the time.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ah/ahpadt/2009/07/09/IMG_0018.jpg

Someone tell me that you don't like it.

I don't like it. It's a generic wagon.

And I bet it has plenty of soul and passion as it is running most of the time.

Bingo. And unlike Italian cars, once you fix something that's broken on it, it usually stays fixed for a good long while.

Last edited:
I don't like that.. Real Alfa Romeos are RWD and have only 2 doors and weigh less than 1200kg.

Alfas look good, but fail wheel drive + heaviness doesn't seem too appealing. Why must FIAT destroy everything they buy?

The Volvo looks damn good! I just wish that the hatch with the stupidly large wheels in-front of it would move...

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Since this 3 year old thread has had a revival, i thought that i'll contribute my views too.

I was always curious to know what the big deal with Alfa Romeo is. Yes they look great but what is this soul and passion everyone keeps talking about? Ive driven German cars and they seem good. Last year I stumbled upon a good deal on a red 147 2.0 and it had everything i needed although din't know exactly what to expect. The moment I took the test drive of the car, there was only one thing in my mind...this car is mine! and then indeed it was. I had never driven a car like that. Simply breathtaking.

Its hard to describe the feeling that one gets from driving an Alfa Romeo but the engine note is simply stunning. The car sings Italian opera beyond 3,500 rpm which is extremely easy to bypass due to the revvy engine. The handling/steering/suspension almost feels sports-car like and coupled with hip-hugging seats only made things even better. Even the sporty Italian heritage brings a smile. Plus, the exclusivity that comes along with the brand unlike the usual suspects i.e german, jap cars etc.

The thing about Alfa Romeo is how "raw" the car feels to drive. You basically feel that there is a connection between the driver and the road and they are one.

I admit, if someone else is supposed to do the driving for me then i'd probably pick a german car which is comfy, luxurious etc. but if I was the one who'd be doing the driving then it would definitely be an Alfa Romeo. It really is a driver's car (or rather brand).

P.S Luckily I have a really reliable car too so the Alfa Romeo "unreliable" issues don't apply to me.

Last edited:
I think the big problem here is three groups of people meeting. You've got the real petrolheads, who have driven Alfa's, felt the magic, and who just love them. They have trouble expressing why, because love is something you just can't explain.

Then you have the car-likers, who are people that like cars, and may even like them a lot, but they cannot love cars. They don't understand the appeal of Alfa's, even if they have driven them.

And then you have the third group, the people who are real petrolheads, but just don't know it because they haven't yet felt the Alfa magic, becuase they haven't driven onein the right circumstances.

The truth is, you cannot logically argue this question because if you look it at logically, a car that doesn't work just isn't a car. But then you're entirely missing the point, as anyone belonging to the first group will tell you.

I think the big problem here is three groups of people meeting. You've got the real petrolheads, who have driven Alfa's, felt the magic, and who just love them. They have trouble expressing why, because love is something you just can't explain.

Then you have the car-likers, who are people that like cars, and may even like them a lot, but they cannot love cars. They don't understand the appeal of Alfa's, even if they have driven them.

And then you have the third group, the people who are real petrolheads, but just don't know it because they haven't yet felt the Alfa magic, becuase they haven't driven one in the right circumstances.

The truth is, you cannot logically argue this question because if you look it at logically, a car that doesn't work just isn't a car. But then you're entirely missing the point, as anyone belonging to the first group will tell you.

You forgot the fourth group. The people who are petrolheads and have driven one and don't see why they're so special. Interesting to note that only one person on here actually told us how an Alfa Romeo drives. I don't agree with it , but i respect his opinion.

Last edited: