Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Personally, I think it would be even better to the right of 6th, then there's even less chance of catching it by accident even if the lockouts fail, which I've never heard of happening.

Ah, that I'd like.

Honda has an excellent version that resolves this problem completely. One down, Five up, reverse is engaged by a button when the vehicle is stopped.

That I wouldn't (not with VAG's electrics, anyway! :p).

Best part is that Honda puts that system on their larger touring motorcycles, not their cars. :D And I've never heard of one failing.

Doesn't B&M make one for your truck? Or Lokar?

Probably, but I actually like having a column shifter in the F150 since I have a front bench seat which I have actually had to use.

As for the Jeep, reverse is below 5th and I've never even come close to accidentally engaging it, but if I had reverse next to first, that t-handle would probably be my favorite method.

Probably, but I actually like having a column shifter in the F150 since I have a front bench seat which I have actually had to use.

As for the Jeep, reverse is below 5th and I've never even come close to accidentally engaging it, but if I had reverse next to first, that t-handle would probably be my favorite method.

Yeah, I've never had an issue with engaging reverse by accident on an American pattern box either.

FYI, I've got that parts bike stripped down, so I'll be putting the PC800 back together soon.

Heh, my old Mazda had gone to a teenager who will get his licence shortly. He had chosen from three cars and gone with the Mazda; so it's now officially a better car than a Mitsubishi Lancer or a BMW E36. :mrgreen:

my astra has something similar, which is IMO the best system of all : it has a little ring around the bottom of the gear knob, which you need to pull up to be able to engage reverse. If you don't do that while changing into reverse, it won't go.

Also, R where 6th would be is better than R "before" 1st gear. I had that system in my old Golf,and because the box was worn out, I would often engage reverse instead of first and vice versa. Especially annoying when parking or getting off the line at the lights...

With the gear lever in "virtual" 6th, there's no doubt that you're in reverse. Also, 1st is always 1st

My exhaust keeps blowing out at the joint after the 2nd cat (GC8 Impreza), been smearing exhaust paste on it this morning in the hope it'll hold for a few weeks (have had to do this three times now).

I know I need to pull the exhaust apart and replace the gaskets but I'm just taking the lazy route at this point, it is a bit embarassingly throaty when it blows out though :lol:

Anyone got any recommendations for a paste that holds on a bit stronger than holts fire gum? it's probably not ideal for this but it does hold for a while - JB weld sets harder but can't handle the heat.

My exhaust keeps blowing out at the joint after the 2nd cat (GC8 Impreza), been smearing exhaust paste on it this morning in the hope it'll hold for a few weeks (have had to do this three times now).

I know I need to pull the exhaust apart and replace the gaskets but I'm just taking the lazy route at this point, it is a bit embarassingly throaty when it blows out though :lol:

Anyone got any recommendations for a paste that holds on a bit stronger than holts fire gum? it's probably not ideal for this but it does hold for a while - JB weld sets harder but can't handle the heat.

I've been trying to seal my exhaust for 2 weeks now, and the trick is to put a lot of the sealant gunk in the gap, then heat it up with a heat gun. The instructions on the paste probably tell you to turn the engine on and keep it at low revs to harden the paste. If you turn the car on, the exhaust gases will find their way through the paste before it hardens properly, by heating and hardening it with heat from an extrior source, you get a much better seal :)

My stupid AC compressor from my audi died today(or at least the clutch- it's making a squeal when the AC is on), exactly in the middle of heat wave.:blowup:

I've been trying to seal my exhaust for 2 weeks now, and the trick is to put a lot of the sealant gunk in the gap, then heat it up with a heat gun. The instructions on the paste probably tell you to turn the engine on and keep it at low revs to harden the paste. If you turn the car on, the exhaust gases will find their way through the paste before it hardens properly, by heating and hardening it with heat from an extrior source, you get a much better seal :)

Now why didn't I think of that, been out for a drive today and it seems to be ok but since it's never lasted more than a couple of weeks i'll do that the next time round, cheers :)

Stopped by the Ford dealer since they had a 2010 Mustang GT convert in Grabber Blue on the lot and talked a bit. They mentioned that the 2011 GT is supposed to have ~385 HP stock.

^ ^well the stuff i used said you need to heat up the manifold by running the engine then shutting it down and applying the paste when its still hot

+ saw the focus rs for the first time live.. shame that it just pulled of to test drive before i got to it...

Last edited:
Stopped by the Ford dealer since they had a 2010 Mustang GT convert in Grabber Blue on the lot and talked a bit. They mentioned that the 2011 GT is supposed to have ~385 HP stock.

They probably didn't like that fact that a V6 Camaro was putting out almost as much HP as the V8 Mustang. :p

I thought it was going to produce 400hp.

Props to BMC for using crazy hoses sizes on the B series. I need to convince my Dad to do that Rover V8 swap sooner.

They probably didn't like that fact that a V6 Camaro was putting out almost as much HP as the V8 Mustang. :p

No, probably not, but I know a lot of Mustang owners who like very much that the 2010 Mustang GT is faster in every way than a 2010 Camaro SS which has over 100 more horsepower.

No, probably not, but I know a lot of Mustang owners who like very much that the 2010 Mustang GT is faster in every way than a 2010 Camaro SS which has over 100 more horsepower.

Not sure which magazine tests you've been reading. All the ones I've read show the Camaro SS being faster. Only the GT500 is quicker, but only by a tenth in the quarter according to MotorTrend.

The SS isn't that much faster in the straits. The '10 Mustang however wins in the corners thanks to some tweaking on Ford's part.