Updated Mazda RX-8 Headed for Frankfurt Motor Show

Ugh. I'm tired of health and safety getting in the way of nature's own law - natural selection. If you're stupid enough to be in the way, you deserve to die!

There is such a thing as crosswalks you know...

The people in this thread need to realize how many people crossing the road safely get run over by teens, drunks and bad drivers. I've had some terrible personal experience with that.

I suspect that urban roads in europe can be completely different to urban roads here with respect to the interaction between motorized and pedestrian traffic, making minor collisions more frequent and needing a look by car designers. I dont mean the full run-over shebang, but maybe a tap at 5MPH on a person who was a little overeager to cross in a hurry.

A popup headlight can mean the difference between a scratch and a broken wrist. Its not as pretty or cool, but i see where they are going with that.

The people in this thread need to realize how many people crossing the road safely get run over by teens, drunks and bad drivers. I've had some terrible personal experience with that.

Exactly. We're all pedestrians at some point, and we can do everything right and still get hit by someone in the wrong, or someone who's just made a mistake. That's why pedestrian safety is important.

The world is too damn safe.

There is such a thing as crosswalks you know...

I'm being an asshole, don't take me too seriously there. Obviously there are times where innocent people are struck by drivers who are doing the wrong thing. You can't trust anyone

What's so hard about "look both ways and be prepared to run like hell?"

The other thing is what people who insist on these stupid pedestrian safety nonsense measures don't seem to understand. YOU'RE GETTING HIT BY TWO TONS OF METAL. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU DO!!!!

Also, there is anecdotal evidence that the new higher hoodlines are actually making pedestrian injuries worse. Instead of a broken ankle or lower leg, now people's hips are getting shattered. Whoops. Guess nobody looked at how a cow-catcher on a locomotive works before they decided to do this stupid idiocy with the hoodlines.

Last edited:

The other thing is what people who insist on these stupid pedestrian safety nonsense measures don't seem to understand. YOU'RE GETTING HIT BY TWO TONS OF METAL. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU DO!!!!

Well, sure it does. A lot of pedestrian hits happen at below-death-dealing speeds. So things like hoods popping up and softer bumpers will help a lot.

Also, not everyone is able to "run like hell".

Here's an idea - chop two doors off it and call it an RX-7.

heres a better one.... time to let this one die and bring out a new car

Also, there is anecdotal evidence that the new higher hoodlines are actually making pedestrian injuries worse. Instead of a broken ankle or lower leg, now people's hips are getting shattered. Whoops. Guess nobody looked at how a cow-catcher on a locomotive works before they decided to do this stupid idiocy with the hoodlines.

I don't think you appreciate the seriousness of the situation. To "look both ways and be prepared to run like hell" did not apply whatsoever when a teen ran through a stop sign (right turn) from behind at >30 mph.

Last edited:

I have been hit by a car while walking and it was a bad driver, period. It didn't matter that she was a woman, or that she was in her late 40s, or was wearing glasses. The make-up she was applying is a different story, but goes to prove my point that she was a bad driver.

^I'd have to say that I agree with this, in general pedestrians are morons but there is always the freak accident waiting to happen. Failed brakes, wet road, heart attack behind the wheel, plain stupid driver basically you never know.

True, but you can't design for every possible outcome.

They need to design a new engine for it. When it first came out it was competitive with the cars in the same segment, but now it's noticeably down on power. Even the Hyundai Genesis Coupe has more power than it.

I know at least 4 of my friends were hit by a car at some point, I was myself once but on a bike. The shape of the car has a lot of influence on the severity of the crash, so making softer hoods and all is a pretty good move. Too bad it has an influence on car design, but there are ways around this (Jaguar).

I fail to see how hitting a pedestrian at 70+ mph with or without pop-up headlights will make a difference. He will be just as dead.

I fail to see how hitting a pedestrian at 70+ mph with or without pop-up headlights will make a difference. He will be just as dead.

Now what about 20 MPH? A popup headlamp will make the difference between a fractured femur or a broken back and just bumps and bruises.

Gee, do I want to land on the smooth surface, or the one with pointy bits sticking up?

Why not... oh I don't know... PUNISH BAD DRIVERS. How about we actually do something about the problems in society. The kind of people who can't be trusted around pedestrian traffic are more than likely people who have been driving improperly all of their life without consequence. Instead of just giving someone a slap on the wrist, put them in serious risk of jail time or worse for these sort of offenses. I'm tired of everyone making excuses for bad drivers.

I'm tired of constantly seeing speed limits lowered, cars made hideous, ridiculous amounts of weight needed to be added to cars just to make them safe enough for people who can't drive. Here's a novel thought, get the bad drivers off the road and we'll ALL be better off. No it won't be easy but it'll save everyone a whole hell of a lot of money and everyone will be safer.