Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I suddenly have the urge to hit the racetrack in my little Yaris, and was wondering if any of you have some car prep tips for circuit work?

Get new brake pads and brake fluid, check the coolant level & change the oil. It's not like a 1.3 yaris will shake the world on the track, but those should keep you on the track for more than a few laps. It's not a bad idea to increase tire pressures by a bit for circuit work aswell.:)

I find that even for street use I usually run 10-15kpa above the recommended pressures as I find it makes the car lighter on its feet and a bit more fun to drive.

I know the 1.3L yaris isn't exactly a throughbred, but it'll be fun seeing what it can do. They race these things in Japan in the Vitz cup, so I could always source some TRD parts :lol:

I've always had this dream of building my Echo into a tarmac rally car and going to the Targa Tasmania.

Last edited:
The problem is that it will probably attempt to kill him in a blaze of fire anyway.

Assuming all the top end gaskets in the engine have been properly replaced, any fire will be an electrical issue.

Assuming all the top end gaskets in the engine have been properly replaced, any fire will be an electrical issue.

So, how does it matter whether the classic Pontiac fire that kills him is petrochemical or electrical in origin? :p Its a Pontiac, it's still going to go on fire. :lol:

So, how does it matter whether the classic Pontiac fire that kills him is petrochemical or electrical in origin? :p Its a Pontiac, it's still going to go on fire. :lol:

Because electrical fires are really no more common in a Pontiac versus other cars, Pontiac fires are usually engine related. ;)

Because electrical fires are really no more common in a Pontiac versus other cars, Pontiac fires are usually engine related. ;)

I wouldn't be so sure. I think Quiky might argue that point.

Last night, while a bit drunk I got a "Top Gear Style" idea for my car.
I've already complained about the ridiculous amount of deer in WV, and how it's just a matter of time before I hit one.

I was thinking about modifying my headlight wipers (which don't work anyways) and replacing them with two foot-long sharp sticks that will sit parallel to the front grille, but at a touch of a button, they will...stick forwards, and impale whatever is unfortunate to stand in front of my car...

I guess I'm finally experiencing the effects of playing Carmageddon while I was younger :lol:

Trabant_RS02ThKraft.jpg

A wild Trabant appeared.

It used tripod.

It's super effective!

Can anyone recommend a good way of removing grease from cast iron? The power steering pump brackets that I have are covered in a good 1/2cm coating of grease all round, and they are bitch to clean. Is the a liquid or something that I can just drop the parts in, and the grease will dissolve?

Hmm, the seat guy said the whole set, doorcards and all would be 80 euro. That is actually not bad.

Hmm, the seat guy said the whole set, doorcards and all would be 80 euro. That is actually not bad.

"Not bad"

That's ridiculously cheap if they are in any sort of condition. A recaro interior for my Sierra would be close to 500?.. People are asking up to 300? for just a set of good front seats..

Can anyone recommend a good way of removing grease from cast iron? The power steering pump brackets that I have are covered in a good 1/2cm coating of grease all round, and they are bitch to clean. Is the a liquid or something that I can just drop the parts in, and the grease will dissolve?

I use brake cleaner. Buy a couple of cans spray away.

What a coincidence, when walking the dogs today I came across a full can of brake%clutch cleaner (or sth.) just lying in the middle of the road. I'll be sure to try it out :)

Can a good paint shop match the exact color of Rustoleum? Or better yet, mix the Rustoleum with mineral spirits (or whatever the hell the pros use) into a spray gun and paint with that instead? I'm looking to get my fuel tank painted and I want a professional to do it, mostly because I'm starting to feel the time constraints on here.

Last edited:

I was bored so I broke out the brake cleaner. Worked like a charm :). I now have a cleaned & painted power steering pump & bracket ready for installment :)
I broke the other pump I bought for spares, It was from a crashed car and the reservoir was battered, so I just removed the pump element, etc. from it. Now I have a spare pump asewell. Im going to offer it to a friend who drives a 2.0 laser 5d Sierra, he also has manual steering, and he has the means to fix up the reservoir :)

Still need to get a quicker steering rack (quite hard to find :() and new fanbelts and I can wave goodbye to slow manual steering.

Thanks for the tip!