Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

OK, I think I have it now. Motorcycles don't have a steering wheel and reduction linkage- they have handlebars which are directly connected to the front wheel to steer.

Not all cars have steering wheels (especially early ones) and there are a few motorcycles that do have reduction linkages or steering boxes - the Yamaha GTS1000 with its hub centric steering comes to mind.

How about differentials.... You wouldn't expect bikes needing those.

All shaft drive motorcycles (I have two) have a driveshaft and a rear differential.

Next challenge: two front wheels that steer. (concept bikes don't count)

you made it too easy.

three-wheel-bike-piaggioP12.jpg

Next challenge: two front wheels that steer. (concept bikes don't count)

There's a couple of scooters out that do that.

reverse-trike-mp3-piaggio11.jpg

Piaggio MP3 - someone here on FG actually has one of these, IIRC.

Of the "real" motorcycle class, the Can Am Spyder is a "reverse trike" type:

reverse-trike-canam-spyder48ms.jpg

reverse-trike-canam-spyder45ms.jpg

There's others, too.

Side curtain airbags?

Not all cars have those (even new ones) and on a bike, the airbag jackets could be considered to be those.

Rumor has it Aprilia is working with Dainese to come up with side airbags that deploy from the motorcycle chassis itself.

Remember, the game is to come up with something that cars have that motorcycles don't, so as to be able to distinguish them. :D And it's just a game, I'm certainly not taking it seriously; something to avert boredom.

Last edited:
A body that covers part or all of the occupants. In this respect, the Aerial Atom's body is the chassis itself.

A body that covers part or all of the occupants. In this respect, the Aerial Atom's body is the chassis itself.

Hm, and I'm guessing you won't accept a scooter's splash shields?

I could use the G-Wiz, as it's legally a "motorcycle" type vehicle, but that's a no-no.

Yeah, that's the one I was looking for on Wikipedia. The BMW City has a body that covers some or all of the occupant.

There's also this, the TECA concept:

teca1.jpg

As for production bikes, there's the Peraves Monotracer:

monotracer.jpg

They're made by the Swiss. That one's the restyle (no credit for what it looks like); the older ones looked like little jet fighter cockpits (as did a lot of other takes on the same idea).

Okay, now for the car side: towing.

And I'm not taking about towing this sub-half-ton (tonne) rinky-dink, chintzy-ass trailers like Goldwing owners have.

95GoldWing.jpg

I'm talking about Ford/Chevy/Dodge diesel pick-up towing capacity (not to mention payload capacity).

Picture005.jpg

ball-mounts-1.jpg

car_towing_motorcycle.jpg

WHERE IS YOUR BIKING GOD NOW?!??! MUAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

Okay, now for the car side: towing.

And I'm not taking about towing this sub-half-ton (tonne) rinky-dink, chintzy-ass trailers like Goldwing owners have.

95GoldWing.jpg

I'm talking about Ford/Chevy/Dodge diesel pick-up towing capacity (not to mention payload capacity).

Picture005.jpg

ball-mounts-1.jpg

car_towing_motorcycle.jpg

WHERE IS YOUR BIKING GOD NOW?!??! MUAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

Well, seeing as how most cars can't tow what trucks can (remember, this is cars v. bikes, not trucks v. bikes) they'd be disqualified too.

Proportionally, though, many bikes can tow the same weight as a car can. Some bikes can tow things much larger than cars can. Some bikes can tow *cars*:

[youtube]AuL7cOO6EfY[/youtube]

In this video, a Goldwing 1800 happily tows a giant Volvo station wagon. Something most cars can't do either.

Last edited:
clever-large.jpg

I like this. Remember this? I would like this.

1.8L in the Goldwing? That's a larger motor then in the Corolla.

1.8L in the Goldwing? That's a larger motor then in the Corolla.

Yup, 1832cc flat six.

Not the biggest mass production bike engine, though - that honor goes to Triumph and their massive 2.3L three-cylinder in the Rocket III.

And back in the corner for bikers...

You can't do a stoppie in a car:

Well, not intentionally...I think :lol:

No, no, that advocacy goes in the motorbiker's thread. Here, the game is to find some feature or capability that cars have that motorcycles don't in order to 'differentiate' the two. :D It isn't about which is better.

Yeah, I googled "stoppie." But then I figured that there had to be some nutter who'd done it in a car so I searched, and sure enough, several people were mental enough to do it :mrgreen:

Also, a feature I didn't find for bikes: active seats (heating, cooling, massage and active bolster supports during cornering). I realize some have heated seats and grips, but that's just not enough.

0404-2008-BMW-750LI-SEAT-CONTROLS.jpg

Last edited: