Lens Flair

New set...

100-3089.jpg

jayjaya, I like your car photos, particularly how you manage to expose them so well in harsh daylight.

Can you give me some info on the exposure and processing you're using? I'm shooting a drag event in a couple weeks and I could use some help :)

jayjaya, I like your car photos, particularly how you manage to expose them so well in harsh daylight.

Can you give me some info on the exposure and processing you're using? I'm shooting a drag event in a couple weeks and I could use some help :)

KK. First things first, get yourself a circular polarizer. I just got one and it helps tremendously.

As for settings, I can't say I have a definite set of rules, I try and use as low an ISO as possible as to keep the shutter speeds down.

The specs of that particular shot is:
ISO 200
f 4.5
1/160sec

using my 18-55 @ 18mm

I tend to overexpose by one click on my metering device, but hitting the exposure spot on will work too.

For me, its all in editing. In lightroom I bumped the clarity up a little bit followed by high contrast in the tone curve section. Then I went over to photoshop with it and sharpened it up a little bit.

If you really want to see what settings I use with harsh day light, go to this album, have a laugh at my friends and when you find a car shot in harsh light, click on it, then hit the arrow next to image info on the bottom left. Will give you all the details on what I was shooting. I also used my CP during that day.

http://s987.photobucket.com/albums/ae356/jayjaya292/Waterfest%2015/

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
KK. First things first, get yourself a circular polarizer.
Check. I've got three ;)

I tend to overexpose by one click on my metering device, but hitting the exposure spot on will work too.
Wow, overexpose? Interesting. I nearly always underexpose by around a stop because of the D40's crummy metering.

Do you have a handheld meter or you are talking about your camera? What camera?

Check. I've got three ;)

Wow, overexpose? Interesting. I nearly always underexpose by around a stop because of the D40's crummy metering.

Do you have a handheld meter or you are talking about your camera? What camera?

Nah my camera...Canon XS...I don't overexpose on purpose, the damn thing is usually moving around all the time. I generally set up so that when I am half clicked on the shutter it is one click above correct exposure, when I finally click the shutter all the way the needle usually moves to correct exposure anyways.

In most cases, I would say just NAIL the exposure and you won't have any problems. Bracket exposure some shots and then compare in post processing, each camera is probably going to be different.

OH yeah I totally forgot, I am CONSTANTLY playing around with my focus points. My Canon XS only has 7 points of focus, and I tend to put the focus on the darker spots of the cars (in the shadows of the car) just to get a well exposed shot. It doesn't always work depending on the color of the car (black and white are the HARDEST, i could rant) and the angle of the sun, because then you may overexpose the rest of the car. By changing the focus point, I think you change how the sensor sets up what the correct exposure is.

Last edited:
Nah my camera...Canon XS...I don't overexpose on purpose, the damn thing is usually moving around all the time. I generally set up so that when I am half clicked on the shutter it is one click above correct exposure, when I finally click the shutter all the way the needle usually moves to correct exposure anyways.
Oh, OK. I'll dial in -0.7 EC on my D40 as usual, then.

I think you change how the sensor sets up what the correct exposure is.
Yes, some evaluative meters put more "weight" on the selected focus point.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, OK. I'll dial in -0.7 EC on my D40 as usual, then.

Yes, some evaluative meters put more "weight" on the selected focus point.

Thanks for your help.

Anytime....sorry I don't have any consistent settings I use, I just fumble around until it looks right. You'll be fine methinks. Can't wait to see what you shoot.

Time for a new shot....rollin shot time!

100-3125.jpg

^ I'd have given it some more contrast to exaggerate the light fall-off for effect, but other than that, this deserves a: :jawdrop:

*epp_b wishes there was geological lunacy where he lives*
*thinks about any place nearby that might offer something interesting*

Hmmm... flatter-than-a-board farmland as far as the eye can see.

Last edited:
A proper sports utility vehicle... well, an ST with a roof rack. :lol:
Comments?

(unless you drive an hour or so east to get to the canadian shield, but it's all just rocks and trees, nothing too interesting)
Well, the shield can be pretty interesting in some places.