the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

I should probably try foams again. I'm mostly using big (opaque) tips now.

In terms of sound, they seem to be worst off on rock music. I don't know the proper terminology to describe it, but they sound... erm... compressed, lacking dynamics. Vocals are nice though.

I have a chance to get a Zero without USB for 100$ plus shipping from LA. Will optical work as DAC or should I just get the ones off ebay which would cost me ~$200.

Unfortunately I only have little time on my hands right now for recommendations, I will be more active next week again. TomCat, I haven't forgotten you! :)

I have a chance to get a Zero without USB for 100$ plus shipping from LA. Will optical work as DAC or should I just get the ones off ebay which would cost me ~$200.

Optical is a digital connection, and the Zero should convert it.

Last edited:
As long as his computer has an optical output, then it'll be fine.

Just replaced the battery in my beloved Cowon D2 with an aftermarket 1800mha one, and flashed rockbox onto it!

As long as his computer has an optical output, then it'll be fine.

Just replaced the battery in my beloved Cowon D2 with an aftermarket 1800mha one, and flashed rockbox onto it!

Have a link? And what was the capacity of the original one?

Edit: Nevermind, found someone claiming the original battery's capacity to be 1600mAh. Upgrading to a 1800 won't be worth it for me.

Last edited:
Battery link

I mean, there isn't exactly much room for a 2200mha battery inside the D2 casing, so 1800mha isn't too bad. The battery wasn't expensive, and I do use my D2 heaps, so the battery life was noticeably shorter.

Speaking of audio gear, is anybody here interested in buying headphones or amps? I'm offloading some gear over at head-fi atm for cheap to fund my recent mobile phone purchase, so check it out!

Pimeta amp

Beyerdynamic DT150

Cheap cables

Last edited:
TomCat, I haven't forgotten you! :)

That's cool, I'm in no big rush. I won't be moving into the new place until October anway. :mrgreen:

I was curious about one thing though. I've come across 7.1 systems and I'm curious if they're actually superior, or if it's just a gimmick to make more money.

Battery link

I mean, there isn't exactly much room for a 2200mha battery inside the D2 casing, so 1800mha isn't too bad. The battery wasn't expensive, and I do use my D2 heaps, so the battery life was noticeably shorter.

Speaking of audio gear, is anybody here interested in buying headphones or amps? I'm offloading some gear over at head-fi atm for cheap to fund my recent mobile phone purchase, so check it out!

Pimeta amp

Beyerdynamic DT150

Cheap cables

Why can't you be closer to me, as I'd buy the amp (if its good with HD650s).

But should I jump on that used Zero? Its from November of last year and not modded for 133$

Hmm, as long as you have some way of connecting your desktop to the Zero, then why not.

Ok, got my HD650s, they are great, but I really really need an amp. They sound ok on everything I tried so far (PC, Xbox) but on my CD Stereo they sounded epic with the Halo soundtrack CDs.

How bad would it be if I use an extender cable? I need a few more feet to sit on my couch while playing xbox or watching conerts in blu-ray.

Edit: I really need to get these amps, I was doing a side by side (best I could) with my Bose Tri-ports (I know) and the only difference I could tell was that the bose were punchier, had more umph as the Senns aren't powered enough. I notice slightly clearer sound from the Senns, but not the huge difference I should be getting.

Last edited:
I was curious about one thing though. I've come across 7.1 systems and I'm curious if they're actually superior, or if it's just a gimmick to make more money.

It is not really necessary.

Watching movies is still 80 % visual and 20 % acoustical: You can live with sound in mono from some crappy speaker but you can't go without a sharp, clear picture.

7.1 is nice, if you got everything else already...

I'd rather have a full HD projector before that, though.

Last edited:
I have an opportunity to get a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250ohm headphones that need a new cable for 65. Should I take it?

I was just about to jump on a $144 Zero from ebay...and evidently all new Zeros have fake opamps in them. WTF seriously everytime I look to get one of these I learn something about them that freak me out.

How much are you willing to spend and what are your preferences such and headphones, earphones, canalphones/inear?