Which episodes of TG should I show to the unconverted?

Hey now! I got hooked on Top Gear specifically because of the Vietnam special. I'd never even seen an episode before then.
Thanks for letting me know what got you into Top Gear! I know the first epsode I watched was from season 12, midway through the season. My dad had some devine inspiration to record a TV show he had watched more than 9 years ago when we lived there. So glad he did it.

I almost think we need two sets. Top Gear for gearheads and Top Gear for people who didn't know they liked cars. The former should be episodes that open with really stellar reviews and the latter episodes that open start with humor/challenges. If you don't catch someone within the first 5 minutes, you've probably lost them.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I would definatly put on the second list almost all of the specials, as they really have minimal technobabble and top-notch humour.

I won't call this discussion closed, but I think I'm going to put them up for the Vietnam special first, followed by a normal episode. Maybe something out of season 10?

Last edited:
Imo a good screener would be the Top Gear Toyota Truck Challenge. If a person likes that then they'll probably like the kind of entertainment and humor TG has. Its also relatively old and dated so if you show them something newer afterwards; it'll be more impressive than the other way around.

I'd also generally skip any of the boring segments on TG like a SIARPC or the news segement; especially if its an older show or the star interview blows. These two segments imo can be some of the most boring on TG especially to new viewers or non-UK/Euro peeps. Don't get me wrong there have been fantastic news/SIARPC; but from my experience these two segments can really slow down the enjoyment of the series especially when they use a lot of UK/Euro lingo that most Americans just won't understand or relate to.

Last edited:
I totally agree with the people who recommended you 7x03! 10x09 was also epic. It was the one with the 24 hour race on Silverstone. You can show limos from 09x06 as well.

I liked the one with Henning Solberg and the Bobsleigh team - brilliant. Sorry I watch them live so no numbers from me - can be looked up.

Run to Oslo on the boat vs the Mclaren/Merc - S P U N K ummm. Best shambles ever!

I totally agree with the people who recommended you 7x03! 10x09 was also epic. It was the one with the 24 hour race on Silverstone. You can show limos from 09x06 as well.
Damn, forgot about those episodes! Limos and Arse Buscits ;)

Start with the races, move on to the challenges, and then finally the car reviews if your friends remain interested.

I recommend my most favorite race of them all: the Nissan GTR in Japan

The first episode that got my brother hooked, was 08x06 (caravan holiday). Had it on in the kitchen where the family were eating and since then my brother now watches it.

My mother always asks me to borrow the video that 08x06 was recorded on so she can watch it. She still has it actually.

Run to Oslo on the boat vs the Mclaren/Merc - S P U N K ummm. Best shambles ever!

I'm in that one!!!!! As is Mrs Hersworksfinetoo.

For US use the Vette, Challenger, Caddy drive to the salt flats, keeps people with things they know but humor they are learning.. Makes it easier to for them to be in with the joke..

And any cheap car challenge, where they break down all the time and yes a cool wall segment..

Amphibious or Alfa challenges. Then they bring their laptops over and I give them 80GB of Clarkson and Top Gear. Then some time later I go through the annoying process of teaching them how torrents work.

I was interstate visiting a friend and he put on the first "Challenges" DVD one night after dinner. I'd heard people mention TG before, but hadn't watched it at all.

I laughed so hard I cried, and we ended up watching 3-4 hours of nothing but Top Gear.

Been hooked ever since.

I think I managed to convert 3 or 4 of my friends by showing them the first episode in season 10. For one the setting was amazing and my second reason being it was the first episode I ever watched when I just stumbled upon it surfing the internet.

Thank you for all your suggestions! Season 10 is probably the easiest season to show then firsthand because it's always avalible on netflix (and therefore portable- I don't have a laptop and my parents are waiting to get one after I've been accepted and chosen the college I want).

I almost think we need two sets. Top Gear for gearheads and Top Gear for people who didn't know they liked cars. The former should be episodes that open with really stellar reviews and the latter episodes that open start with humor/challenges. If you don't catch someone within the first 5 minutes, you've probably lost them.

Agreed. Either they'll like it or they don't. I tried to convert my sister several times but she's quite the opposite of a petrol-head, so that didn't work out. Then I showed some of my friends clips of several episodes, e.g. the Caparo T1 review which they liked but I doubt they would sit through a complete episode.

I was shown one of the early episodes (season two or three) first and quite liked it. For me it makes it easier to appreciate what they did back then (more car reviews, and only the occasional cocking about). If I had watched one of the more recent episodes first and then watched their earlier work, I don't know if I'd like their less flamboyant stuff from back then.

Agreed. Either they'll like it or they don't. I tried to convert my sister several times but she's quite the opposite of a petrol-head, so that didn't work out. Then I showed some of my friends clips of several episodes, e.g. the Caparo T1 review which they liked but I doubt they would sit through a complete episode.

I was shown one of the early episodes (season two or three) first and quite liked it. For me it makes it easier to appreciate what they did back then (more car reviews, and only the occasional cocking about). If I had watched one of the more recent episodes first and then watched their earlier work, I don't know if I'd like their less flamboyant stuff from back then.

It's just a matter of what draws a particular person in. I had watched Torchwood one night (on BBCAmerica) and had gone into the kitchen to do the dishes but left the TV on. When I came back there were some guys building stretch limos. I was immediately reminded of one of my old favorite shows from college, Junkyard Wars aka Scrapheap Challenge. I sat and laughed until I couldn't breathe and was amused to no end. By the time the segment was over, I didn't care at all that the show wasn't really much like Junkyard Wars at all. I don't think I even knew it as a "car show" immediately either. I was instantly hooked and have been ever since. Rewatching that episode had I not done the dishes and had caught the Mustang review the show opened with, I'd have changed the channel immediately and gone on about my life. You just never know. I am as un-petroheaded as your sister most likely. I knew car, brake, gas, steering wheel, and that was pretty much it. I've picked up a bit since then I guess.

I don't remember the episode code but i do remember the one featuring Jeremy's rigourous testing of the Ford Fiesta being a good overall episode and would probably be one to introduce the show to the uninitiated.

10x1 is a must for first-timers. I've won over a friend or two to the series with that episode, and they now watch it as religiously as I do.

And hello to the FG community (first post here :) )

I don't remember the episode code but i do remember the one featuring Jeremy's rigourous testing of the Ford Fiesta being a good overall episode and would probably be one to introduce the show to the uninitiated.

Yep, 12x06.