Judge orders Microsoft to stop selling Word...

This is shitty for Microsoft...but it only applies to the US right? Now that's gonna be a marketing headache...

Errr.. no, Word is so common that people assume everything else can read them.

OpenOffice.org / StarOffice
Google Docs
Abiword
WordPerfect
SoftMaker Office

Every major word processor or office suite that I can think of is MS compatible (for Windows, anyway).

OpenOffice.org / StarOffice
Google Docs
Abiword
WordPerfect
SoftMaker Office

Every major word processor or office suite that I can think of is MS compatible (for Windows, anyway).

Yes, all of these companies have reverse engineered the Microsoft format to allow a degree of compatibility, however none are perfect.

In reality, even Word isn't compatible with itself, switching between versions of Word can corrupt .doc files, so what hope have 3rd parties got.

What I've heard that XML-patent is really common solution and shouldn't be patented at all. i4i is just trying to get money from Microsoft.

If you RTFPatent, ODF (ODT's parent format) is prettymuch the same as it describes... Because ODF is prettymuch the same as OOXML (Microsoft's format) save some vocabulary differences. Indeed, the HTML that underpins THIS WEBSITE (and every other one) potentially falls under this patent.

So lets not argue about how Microsoft should use some other format to get around the patent troll - lets just kill the patent troll, and then fix the goddamned system.

Not only that, but switching formats wouldn't be "getting around the patent troll", it'd be admitting guilt and would make them liable for a huge settlement.

Nonsense verdict, the supposed infringement is on a patent that a shitload of software would also technically infringe - it's too generic, it's like patenting a method of turning on a lamp and then sueing every company who dare make a lightswitch.

The judge just doesn't know what he's doing - MS will win the appeal, i4i are just trying to make a quick buck.

Reactions: h-p