Autoblog: Texas tuner developing turbocharged V6 Camaro to take on GT-R's 'Ring record

Hm.

Has anyone considered that these people might be pulling an ASC, McLaren or SLP? All three of those were companies that developed some wild aftermarket stuff to get hired by GM to produce hotter versions of stock cars.

It makes some sense, considering that the 3.6L DI V6 in the Camaro is (last I looked) slated to appear in a whole host of 'normal' cars in the near future. They could be showcasing their abilities in order to perhaps be hired by GM.

That seems like an extreme longshot. You want to get hired by a company as publicly fucked up as GM?

It doesn't have to be GM that hires them per se, but then again GM has bottomless bank accounts now thanks to Our Dear Leader so perhaps that's not such a stupid idea.

wait so its turbos are getting put below the engine toward s the back?

A Camaro doing right handers? :rofl: :lol: Good one :p

http://img18.imageshack.**/img18/695/bmwm5twinturbo78168251.jpg
I'm in no way an expert on turbocharging, but isn't the idea to keep the piping into the engine as short as possible to prevent lag?

I'm in no way an expert on turbocharging, but isn't the idea to keep the piping into the engine as short as possible to prevent lag?

Benefits of STS Remote-Mounted Turbochargers

# Lower underhood temperatures. No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other engine components, as with a front-mounted turbo.
# Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in about 8 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.
# Cooler oil to the turbo. Cool oil is better for both the turbo and engine.

# Performance Sound. The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler. Turbo spool and rushing air from the blow-off valve make a unique sound that will turn heads!
# No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to "bolt-on" to factory mounts.
# Increased gas mileage. Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage compared to their original stock mpg numbers.
# Converts back to stock in about an hour.
# More room under the hood. Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to engine components.

# Lowest Intake Air Temps. Low IAT's equate to more horsepower per pound of boost than any other forced induction option. STS intake piping provides built-in intercooling. Add the optional intercooler, and IAT's drop even further.

# Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage.
# Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.
# Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components.
# No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.
# Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.
# Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front.
# Less noise and heat in the passenger compartment.

http://www.ststurbo.com/the_technology

Funnily, they don't mention turbo lag. Again, I'm happy to stand corrected on this, but to my knowledge, even the type of piping from the turbo into the engine (as in using actual metal tubes instead of those blue hoses) makes a difference. As it seems, the shorter and sturdier the pipage is, the faster you can generate pressure. The STS system theoretically should introduce double lag, because the engine needs to build pressure in the whole exhaust system to spool the turbos, and then the turbos need to build pressure in the piping to the intake manifold in order to provide actual forced induction. I would say this should lag as crazy. Different opinions?

I know there are kits for Corvettes that put turbos in the back and route everything under the bodywork so it looks stock. Realistically though, putting them back there won't cause much lag, the volume of air that moves through an exhaust system is high enough the pressure increases will be quick enough to start them. Bad pipe routing which creates poor airflow will have more of an impact.

I know there are kits for Corvettes that put turbos in the back and route everything under the bodywork so it looks stock. Realistically though, putting them back there won't cause much lag, the volume of air that moves through an exhaust system is high enough the pressure increases will be quick enough to start them. Bad pipe routing which creates poor airflow will have more of an impact.

Except it's more about the heat than the pressure. All that piping is going to reduce the amount of heat in the exhaust.

If this wasn't the case than more car companies would be running their turbo's down there just to reduce underhood temperatures. Also what happanes to the turbo's when driving in a rain storm? Ever see what happens to Hot metal when it's cooled too fast?

The STS system may work, but thats far from optimal, the camaro is gonna need all the help it can get to take on the best Nissan engineers has to offer.

Except it's more about the heat than the pressure. All that piping is going to reduce the amount of heat in the exhaust.

If this wasn't the case than more car companies would be running their turbo's down there just to reduce underhood temperatures. Also what happanes to the turbo's when driving in a rain storm? Ever see what happens to Hot metal when it's cooled too fast?

The STS system may work, but thats far from optimal, the camaro is gonna need all the help it can get to take on the best Nissan engineers has to offer.

I think the main reason not to put them down there would be the fact that most cars are designed to drive on less than perfect roads. It may work well on a race track but an average Brooklyn road can easily rip that turbo off on a lowered car.

Though most factory turbos I ever seen the turbo are bottom mount.

I'm assuming they're at least putting some wrap and paneling over that, not just leaving it bare like in the picture. Otherwise yes it's not nearly as good an idea as they make it seem.

I think the main reason not to put them down there would be the fact that most cars are designed to drive on less than perfect roads. It may work well on a race track but an average Brooklyn road can easily rip that turbo off on a lowered car.

Though most factory turbos I ever seen the turbo are bottom mount.

Most factory cars usually keep the turbo mounted in a place that won't get (much) water splashed on them. Beyond that, ALL turbos are gravity drain on the oil. The turbo has to be mounted a certain height above the oil level or you need an extra sump and pump.

So remote mount turbo ands excessive amounts of weight from piping, oil (lines) another oil pump and catch tank. Then we have the next problem, many of them are mounted very close to the fuel tanks. Thats a smart move, plus a cast iron heat generator right next to your fuel (cause hot fuel is always good for going fast).

I don't remote turbo setups on account of the added complexity. Adding a turbo to a car causes enough problems as it is, now you want to add an extra pump, and work your oil pump harder to push oil to it? And Many members of this forum said I was stupid for thinking moving the radiator on a lemons/destruction derby car was stupid.

Last edited:
I did some digging to find out about the lag. They say that in an STS system, the volume of the piping to the engine is the same as the volume of the piping in a normal turbo setup, so the lag is not worse. Also, they say they do not need an intercooler, since the piping running along the car has enough cooling capabilities through the air flowing along.

I did some digging to find out about the lag. They say that in an STS system, the volume of the piping to the engine is the same as the volume of the piping in a normal turbo setup, so the lag is not worse. Also, they say they do not need an intercooler, since the piping running along the car has enough cooling capabilities through the air flowing along.

They being the 1 company that could profit from this setup correct? Look at F1, Indy, le mans, or any other prototype style racing engines, and find me as single one that finds it a good idea to setup their turbos like that.

You only remote mount a turbo for packaging reasons, and if you can't find room for a turbo in a v6 Camaro's engine bay then you've got no chance of beating a GT-R around the Nurburgring.

Last edited:
Most factory cars usually keep the turbo mounted in a place that won't get (much) water splashed on them. Beyond that, ALL turbos are gravity drain on the oil. The turbo has to be mounted a certain height above the oil level or you need an extra sump and pump.

So remote mount turbo ands excessive amounts of weight from piping, oil (lines) another oil pump and catch tank. Then we have the next problem, many of them are mounted very close to the fuel tanks. Thats a smart move, plus a cast iron heat generator right next to your fuel (cause hot fuel is always good for going fast).

I don't remote turbo setups on account of the added complexity. Adding a turbo to a car causes enough problems as it is, now you want to add an extra pump, and work your oil pump harder to push oil to it? And Many members of this forum said I was stupid for thinking moving the radiator on a lemons/destruction derby car was stupid.
You are right my car for instance has a plastic belly pan that covers the underside of the engine.

I'm not saying that the STS remote mount turbos are the way to go, I was simply saying that it does seem that manufacturers tend to put turbos on the bottom of the engine to keep under hood temp down and for access.