Dumbest thing you've done in a car.

Jumping just about every car i have ever had<_<.

There was an intersection just around the way in the country by my parents.
It took about 80mph in anything to get lift off. The fastest i hit was at about 115 On dirt in a 91mazda
protege lx.
It left grooves in the dirt from the oil pan were it landed about 30yards down, She was ok.:comfort:

I drove from Mi and just outside of Chicago hit it on i80 west at 125mph in my moms 03 Camry for 3hr's to the middle of no where to pick up a built weber38 dgas and intake for a suzuki samurai. It was at about 5am and the fuzz buster only went off once for laser.

Last edited:
Jumping just about every car i have ever had<_<.

There was an intersection just around the way in the country by my parents.
It took about 80mph in anything to get lift off. The fastest i hit was at about 115 On dirt in a 91mazda
protege lx.
It left grooves in the dirt from the oil pan were it landed about 30yards down, She was ok.:comfort:

There's a lip at the top of a hill around here that you'll get liftoff at 55mph. The speed limit is 45. I've jumped it (totally unintentionally, too) in an empty 26ft box truck. 12,000lbs of metal, wood, fiberglass and diesel fuel flying through the air for a good 10-20ft.... NOT an easy beast to control when it touched back down around. Easily the dumbest thing I've ever done, because it bottomed out the air suspension and hit the hard-as-nails leaf springs, which did the only logical thing and rebounded my rear axle back into the air - cockeyed.

Of course, there's the goddamn heroic bastard who left oilpan gouges in the pavement an easy 40 yards down the hill.

^I did something like that in my car. Random road in Long Island, don't even remember the name. One of the intersections had a non noticeable bump that sent me in the air for a second or so. I was not happy.....

hmmmm 2 incidents that are equally stupid for me.

1.I was driving along some suburban road with a drunk friend next to me and 3 drunk girls in the back (I was sober! :p), he was bloody ecstatic for some reason I can't remember and at some point a cat jumped into the road, I had already seen it and was well aware of it by the time he screamed "CAT!!!!" grabbed the wheel and turned it all the way to the right sending the car straight into a very high curb. The car shot up in the air and landed on the bumper of a parked car. Needless to say half the car was broken and it was actually written off (1989 Peugeot 205 1.4).

Other time was in a VW Passat, went into a 110 degrees turn (something like that) at around 110kph, mid turn my cellphone, which was on the dashboard for some reason, shot out of the window and I grabbed it while it was in the air out of the window, then while I was basking is my own magnificence for that catch my friend started screaming "WALL WALL", I came too and broke left only to avoid the wall and smash into a tree at around 60kph. My friend still calls me "tree man" (sounds better in hebrew) to this day :p

And I agree with Hammond, when those air bags blow it's fucking traumatic.

...he screamed "CAT!!!!" grabbed the wheel and turned it all the way to the right sending the car straight into a very high curb.

I hope you made him walk home the rest of the way.

I hope you made him walk home the rest of the way.
He was actually so angry at himself he got out of the car and started screaming at me to punch him in the face. It was pretty funny how 30 mins later he's still asking me to punch him so he'd feel better about the whole thing, I decided I'll let him live with the pain ;)

We had had our once yearly snowfall in the town I was living and I was driving home from work and decided to stop and do some donuts in the snow, seeing it would gone by the next morning.

So I went to an empty parking lot and was having a great time in the Dakota (RWD, 5.2l V8, empty bed= donut machine) when I lost track of how far I'd travelled down the lot and was getting very near to a fence.

I slammed on the brakes and ended up stopping inches shy of the fence with my front bumper. Good, situation averted I thought. Then I went to back out and realized I was stuck, the wheels would spin without me even touching the gas. Not wanting to call for help I got out with the truck still in reverse, wedged myself between the fence and the hood and started to push.

The truck finally got some traction and started to move and I fell flat on my face as the truck backed across the parking lot. Luckily I was in better shape then and got up and sprinted after the truck and was able to hop in and slam on the brake before backing into the river.

Definatly a stupid move on my part but I would pay to have that on film.

first cold night of winter.....ice spot acellerating out of a bend.....back comes out, countersteer.....to much.....back goes the other way.....countersteer.....again to much.....back goes round the other way....ditch....bang......could have saved it if i reacted just a little better.

This. Just replace the ditch with a snowbank. :(

That reminds me of my Jeep Grand Cherokee drifting days. It was the middle of the night on an abandond road, just me and my buddy in my truck. so I gun it into a left turn off a stop sign, I'd done the corner a million times before, but this time I didn't lose traction quite enough so I did the wrong thing and put it to the floor. The truck spun 180 degrees and I ended up facing the other direction perfectly in the correct lane.

Since we were just cruising, I just shrugged it off with a "meh" and started driving that way. All in all it was pretty funny to look back on.

The dumbest thing I ever did in a car, was letting my cat running free in the car, while I was driving.

I've done my first stupid thing to my Jazz after having it for just over a year. Managed to open the drivers' door against a pole with a tap on it at my friend's place last night when I went to pick her up. I went into the driveway further in than I usually do, and I was a bit tired and in a hurry because I was running a bit late. I forgot that the reason I don't usually go in so far is just because of that tap sitting in the lawn next to the driveway. You also can't see it at night, because the light above her front door doesn't quite reach that area. Flung my door open and had that sinking feeling when I heard a big 'clunk'.

Cosmetically, it doesn't look so bad, only left a small dent low down on the driver's door and you can't see it unless you look for it. But, I'm still pissed off as the car was pretty much perfect except for a couple of stone chips on the front and some tiny scratches here and there that were already there when I bought it. :cry:

Stupidest thing I did was go 160 mph+ (speedo only went to 160) on the highway while still having snow tires on the car...

Remembered one from one of my first times driving solo on rural roads. There a section of single lane road coming into one of the tourist trap towns to the north of where I live that is by far my favorite road in the area, hill, twisty, single lane in each direction. Now, taking this road nowadays in my current car with sound tyres and many many more hours of front wheel driving experience is fine, a few years ago in my father's old Saab with tyres that needed replacing and me just off my learner's permit - not so fine.

Tried to take an 80kph recommended speed left hander at roughly 110kph (I was speeding anyway) failed to anticipate the loss of grip on a wet road and slow down a bit, failed to negotiate the curb and ended up crossing onto the wrong side of the road, into the gravel on the side. I slid a bit and managed to get it back onto the tarmac and onto the right side of the road, somehow without hitting the guardrail along a little further the right or ending up in the ditch just before where it starts. I must've been able to scrub off just enough speed. Shaking for a while after that, and I've only recently taken that road again... quite a bit slower.

The dumbest thing I ever did in a car, was letting my cat running free in the car, while I was driving.

I did that once. My cat was freaked out on the way to the vet and so I let her out of the carrier. Bad move. She headed for the drivers side footwell and laid down under the brake pedal and would not move.

That wasn't quite the dumbest thing for me, however. Oh no. Once, I got pissed off while following a little old lady doing 35 MPH in a 50 MPH no passing zone. When the highway split into 4 lanes I floored the accelerator in my '74 Regal and backed off the gas as I pulled alongside her hoping for a bit of a backfire to teach that old biddy a lesson. Well, I got a HUGE backfire. It sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun going off. My satisfaction at seeing the old lady's car swerve was quickly replaced by the realization that I had just blown my muffler apart. And I was 15 miles from home. And had to drive through the center of a town filled with the most ticket happy cops in Central Maine. I ended up driving just like that old woman until I got home, as an unmuffled 5.7 liter V8 attracts all the wrong sort of attention.

Another time, I was driving my dad's 1980 GMC pickup with the 4.8 I6 and a four speed. Going down a hill near my house, there was a hump in the road as you passed a driveway. If you're fast enough, you can catch some air going over the hump, but you have to slow for a sharp right-hand turn at the bottom of the hill. I hit that hump at about 65-70 MPH. I don't think I got airborne, but it felt like I did. I was rushing down the hill now, and my friend Erik says, "John, you'd better slow for that turn." which I was doing. Without using the clutch. That dashboard light up like a Christmas tree as the engine stalled, taking the power steering and power brakes with it. I didn't want to take my hand off the wheel to restart the engine because I knew I couldn't get around that corner with one hand and no power assist. So I had to ride it out - the truck sliding first to the right and then to the left until I was able to get it stopped. To this day I don't know how I was able to keep that truck on the road.

Personally, I blame The Dukes of Hazzard. That show was a bad influence on me while I was growing up.

The most painful to my ego were ridicolous, dangerous overtakes and then being cought up to at the next red light. Somehow people were not amused :p

Besides that some crashes and dents out of plain stupidity (the Sharan can really take a lot)... but I'm learning ;)

Fun thread btw. Makes me feel less stupid :)

Last edited:
driving wasted.

Not paying attention while on a ramp. I had had my permit for probably 4 months at that time, and I was a little distracted while talking about a university I had visited with my family. My parents yelled when they saw me heading for the concrete wall, and I somehow didn't end up loosing the headlights (or doing anything, for that matter). Though that's nothing compared to what you guys have done :rolleyes:

I'm on a provisional license now, so I'm careful not to do anything stupid. I would like my full license as quickly as I can get it.

Let my Daughter (17 - L Plates) drive me. I had to keep my mouth shut - can you imagine?

Edit/ Update - she is now 18 - passed written and practical test first time and has just passed her Pass Plus - Keeping mouth shut FTW!

Last edited:
lolwut?

that sounds quite quick, especially on studded tyres?

Don't you mean 190 kph (which is already suicidally quick)?

The speedo showed about 290kph. Which I believe is about 250kph in real life. Stupid and suicidal yes, never doing it again. .. Until next time. :cool: