Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77639

Ecclestone grants Sepang earlier start

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, August 13th 2009, 10:09 GMT

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has agreed to move the start time of the 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix forward an hour to 4pm, in a bid to avoid a repeat of the lighting problems that affected this year's race.

April's event at Sepang had to be abandoned just after half distance when it was a hit by a major rain shower, and could not get restarted before dark.

Malaysian GP chiefs had requested that the start time be brought forward from its 5pm slot, something Ecclestone was initially reluctant to do.

However, Ecclestone has now agreed to the 4pm slot for 2010 - which should ensure the race can be completed before dark even if there is another rain shower.

"We are going to run an hour earlier," Ecclestone said in an interview with the Today newspaper in Singapore.

Ecclestone believes that the move to change start times away from the traditional 2pm slot to better serve European television audiences, which includes the Singapore night race, has been a success.

"We started this whole thing, particularly with Singapore, and added an extra race because it was very bad for us for TV in Europe," said Ecclestone. "So now we are having a look.

"With Australia we had a twilight race, so it was in Malaysia, but maybe we went a little late there and managed to find a good way to catch the rain. But I think in general that is what we will be doing now; it is good for the promoters and the events to have it in the evening rather than during the day."

Finally someone knocks some temporary sense into the Poison Dwarf's head.

According to Formula1.com, Luca Badoer has about 132,000 km of testing under his belt... :jawdrop: That's ENORMOUS!
Watch as all these mileage go crashing out in the first corner, maybe spectacularly ?

Watch as all these mileage go crashing out in the first corner, maybe spectacularly ?

If he qualifies badly, which is very likely, it's a very real possibility.

Or he might go into the pits after 20 laps, get out, have one of Kimi's Magnums of ice-cream while he tells the mechanics to adjust something and then get back in and resume some six laps down.

(Disclaimer: The second paragraph is quoted from John Hindaugh)

Or he might go into the pits after 20 laps, get out, have one of Kimi's Magnums of ice-cream while he tells the mechanics to adjust something and then get back in and resume some six laps down.

Or he's gonna be a "tester" again, fielding new bits even on Sunday the race day :lol:

Oh come on guys give the guy a break. First of all he hasn't even driven the F60. Second, he could have scored a couple time, but he just had bad luck. I think he deserves the drive whether or not he does good, because Ferrari owe him for what happen in 99 and he should be rewarded for all these years he has tested for Ferrari.

Oh come on guys give the guy a break. First of all he hasn't even driven the F60. Second, he could have scored a couple time, but he just had bad luck. I think he deserves the drive whether or not he does good, because Ferrari owe him for what happen in 99 and he should be rewarded for all these years he has tested for Ferrari.

I agree. He deserves this drive, and I wish him lots of points. Whether he'll be able to do it in this incredibly tight season is something else though...

Dunno if this is old news but...

Ayrton's nephew Bruno Senna up for F1 race seat next season

Ayrton Senna is often regarded as the best racing driver that ever lived. But when he left McLaren ? the team with which he won three world championships ? at the end of the 1993 season, he reportedly declared, "If you think I'm good, just wait until you see my nephew Bruno." That's quite an endorsement. The following season Ayrton died at San Marino, and Formula One has been waiting for the return of the Senna name and legendary prowess. According to the latest reports, that's exactly what we could get as soon as next season.

The young heir to the Senna name has been working his way up the formula racing ladder for the past several years, leapfrogging from Formula BMW and Formula Renault up to Formula Three (where he won several races), GP2 (where he was runner up in this year's championship) and even a third-place finish at the Le Mans Series season opener at Catalunya. He earned a test with Honda last year and was tipped to replace Rubens Barrichello until the Japanese automaker ? which had also powered his uncle's McLarens ? pulled out of the sport. Now, however, the promising young Brazilian is reportedly being considered by Campos, one of the new teams joining the Formula One grid for next season.

Other drivers under consideration include McLaren's veteran test driver Pedro de la Rosa or Marc Gen? (who was recently passed over for the race seat at Ferrari in favor of his fellow tester Luca Badoer) as well as Russian prodigy Vitaly Petrov and Spanish up-and-comer Antonio Garcia.
Sauce

I wonder how the kids of the racing champions dads/uncles/whatnot lives up to all the pressure and hype.

Considering Piquet Jr failing epicly whether it was his fault or not, Rosberg is quite not there yet, Senna hasnt been let loose, I'm actually quite skeptical about this whole son going racing thing.

Williams has had quite the tough years before them, their last good year was 2003 where their car got better through the year. It is mainly BMW's fault for expecting Williams to win races like Ferrari.

I just saw Rosberg on tv just now, actually. He and a few 'stars' were on this "Poker Stars.net" tournament thing. Teddy Sheringham (that EPL footballer guy) was there as well. Boy has he aged.. :( But Rosberg just looks like some fancy rich playboy

I just saw Rosberg on tv just now, actually. He and a few 'stars' were on this "Poker Stars.net" tournament thing. Teddy Sheringham (that EPL footballer guy) was there as well. Boy has he aged.. :( But Rosberg just looks like some fancy rich playboy
His hairstyle makes him a mafia head, dealing in crack or alcohol.