Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

My father bought a welder today for only 25? :) Now I can fix the rust on the Sierra by myself :)

Is it a MIG? I've wanted a MIG for a long time now. I used to be a welder but i haven't welding with anything less than a 440v.

Apparently they make plasma cutters the size of a good hardback book that plug into our standard 110v outlets now, and they can cut through 1/4" steel no problem. I really have no use for one, but it'd be nice to have.

They're still $1500.

Is it a MIG? I've wanted a MIG for a long time now. I used to be a welder but i haven't welding with anything less than a 440v.

Not a mig unfortunately :( It's a reasonably high quality AC rod welder, can't remember the brand, but it's really nothing special. It's definately going to be good enough for my needs though, and 25 ? for a welder, a mask, and ~250-300 rods isn't too bad :)

Apparently they make plasma cutters the size of a good hardback book that plug into our standard 110v outlets now, and they can cut through 1/4" steel no problem. I really have no use for one, but it'd be nice to have.
Just pop over to the house of someone you don't like very much, cut their car in half.

Are you trying to fix body rust? Its going to be kinda tough to use stick welder for that.

Are you trying to fix body rust? Its going to be kinda tough to use stick welder for that.

Only a few spots on the whole car, Im sure I'll manage :)

Yeah, stick welding on a car is fairly useless unless you're working on the frame or have a tiny welder and tiny rods.

I've been considering getting one for making custom brackets and the like.

Just pop over to the house of someone you don't like very much, cut their car in half.

That takes a lot of time and makes a lot of noise.

Igniting a small mound of thermite on their hood, then fleeing, is faster.

Last edited:
Wow. What fucking idiot will pay over three grand for a B series super charge for an MGB?

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=37879

For that money you can buy and rebuild a Rover V8 and have it installed professionally. So a lighter V8 with nearly 200hp (not hard to do) or a leaky and heavy B series with at most 140hp? That's a hard one.

If there wasn't a market for it, they wouldn't be trying to sell it.

In other news.... Miata got weighed today. 2194lbs without me in it. 2364 with me :D

In other news.... Miata got weighed today. 2194lbs without me in it. 2364 with me :D

under 1 ton that bitch.

Doors, engine hood, top, boot lid, and passenger seats are all overrated.

Bah. I still have you beat by 500 lbs or so. Mr Fancy pants with your crumple zones, airbags, heater, A/C, and stereo.

Unladen my MX5 weighs about 990kg (1950lbs). Lightened wheels, stripped/refitted interior, various bits kept the weight down.

Wouldn't want to tell you how much it weighs with me in it though:lol: