The Theater/Theatre Thread

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
I just took a day trip to NYC to see the play Mary Stuart, about the final days of Mary Queen of Scots. Were I younger and more anal about it, I'd be annoyed at the lack of historical accuracy, but it's a play, not a treatise, and as a dramatic vehicle, it was amazing. Everything the professional reviewers say about it is spot-on, so I'm not going to repeat it here, but I loved the way the actors deftly cut their material into bite-sized chunks and served them with just the right amount of flair and force. So, post other plays (or musicals if we really run out of things to say) that you've seen, are about to see, or are putting on.

While i've not been to the theater in years (and i mean years!) i've often thought about going to see a show. I'm not a big fan of musicals however the film musical The Producers is one that often makes me want to go see the stage show version.
unfortunately over here, our theater isn't a big name theater and only time it gives out advertisements is when its coming up to the seasonal pantomime involving some washed up has been soap actor or actress (this year we've got someone from Emmerdale... oh joy!)

I'm doing Technical Theatre as a minor study in College, classes start a week from Wednesday so I haven't done much as of late, but once we start going I'll probably be posting in this quite a bit.

I took some drama classes in high school and they were by far the most enjoyable ones I took. My involvement there gave me a great chance to be both on stage and in the audience (and even both at the same time). It's something I find myself missing from time to time so maybe someday I can get back in it.

The best performances I've seen have to be The Lion King in London and Les Miserables that a local high school put on and they did an amazing job with it. I was stunned.

eee! Just my thread... being a drama student. I'm no actor so I'm not expecting to live the showbiz lifestyle, I'm one of those behind the scenes people.

But yes, I am in a bit of theatre and watch quite a bit as well. The best piece I saw recently was Animal Farm at the WYP in Leeds. It was truly amazing and I didn't expect it to be, it's people acting as animals, I was half expecting donkey ears and rabbit teeth.

It was extraordinary and really hard hitting, the ending sent a chill down my spine as all the pigs and humans stood up took off their masks/snouts and stared at the audience over a table dripping with blood and entrails. (ech!!)

I've seen some fairly amazing theatre and some frankly s**t theatre.

Expect theatrical ramblings from me anyway! I'll try and remember to come up with some more as I'm rather tired atm.

I'm not big on musicals but most of my drama buddies are, so I hear lots of different stuff.

If you're interested in a new style of theatre you should check out Slung Low, they work at my university sometimes and they make awesome stuff.

One piece they showed us was an installation, where they used a high floor in a car park and told audience members to show up two at a time and then they would be driven to the floor. They would then meet a guide who would lead them through one of three different paths (three different actors playing each guide so three shows ran at one.)

It was basically a sort of vampire apocalypse thing which sounds cheesy but looked so amazing and the audience members were genuinely frightened, it was largely in the dark/low-light and the vampires weren't sort of walking-talking humans who sucked blood but rabid animals that chased you around and tried to kill you at every possible instance.

The audience who went down the 'salt path' were given salt to protect themselves and throw in the eyes of the vampires in case they got scared... which they did and nearly blinded the actors playing them!!

Slung Low specialize in installations, one which I was lucky enough to be involved in within university, it was a sort of warped reality thing where I played a poet that was actually titled an "Inspiration Facilitator." I carried a sign round my neck and everything, I really enjoyed myself!

eee! Just my thread... being a drama student. I'm no actor so I'm not expecting to live the showbiz lifestyle, I'm one of those behind the scenes people.

Nice! At my Uni we're doing Pajama Game that opens in 3 weeks, I'm on the lighting crew and we hung/cabled lights today. Tomorrow I'm working in the shop for a class, we built a huge revolve that we're using, it's pretty awesome, aside from tearing it apart because the casters broke through the 3/4" OSB a few times. Should be a great show, if I ever get a camera I'll get some pictures of stuff.

Bump

My Uni teamed up with the House Theatre of Chicago to create a version of Pinocchio that centers more on the story of Gepetto, it ended it's run here today and will be on the road sometime soon, it was a great show. A bit if info is here: http://www.thehousetheatre.com/blog/?p=834