What do you think is the best amount of cylinders for a performance car?

What do you think is the best amount of cylinders for a performance car?

• Total voters
Cylinders?! I voted rotary, but V8s and V10's seem to make the most sense for piston engines, but a case could be made for any of them.

But a small, lightweight flat-plane crank V8 is just about impossible to beat. Cosworth DFV comes to mind.

EDIT: If you don't think a V6 can sound good...watch this
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6070527008986110252

Last edited:
Cylinders?! I voted rotary, but V8s and V10's seem to make the most sense for piston engines, but a case could be made for any of them.

But a small, lightweight flat-plane crank V8 is just about impossible to beat. Cosworth DFV comes to mind.

EDIT: If you don't think a V6 can sound good...watch this
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6070527008986110252

Also this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNkS9gbeYb8[/YOUTUBE]

Easy: Six in a line.

The reason I dont buy these singular answers is because its almost impossible to find a single engine config that goes well in ALL types of compact cars.

Yes the I-6 is great in GTRs, Ford Falcons and BMWs, but do you see them going well in small darty hot hatches? or large mid engined hypercars?

So basically if one says the I6 is the ultimate performance engine (or V8 or flat 4) that implies all performance cars that do NOT possess that engine...is crap, or not a true performance car.

The reason I dont buy these singular answers is because its almost impossible to find a single engine config that goes well in ALL types of compact cars.

Yes the I-6 is great in GTRs, Ford Falcons and BMWs, but do you see them going well in small darty hot hatches? or large mid engined hypercars?

So basically if one says the I6 is the ultimate performance engine (or V8 or flat 4) that implies all performance cars that do NOT possess that engine...is crap, or not a true performance car.

Yes on the bold bits. If you can shove a 7 liter v12 a 3-4 liter I6 could fit. :D

I can't give an answer to this, there's no set formula that makes me like a car/it's engine. If it works well, it works well.

Sounds like you want a 13b then ;)

I'd like to think that its a case to case basis. Also, that it depends on the nature of the car.

I voted for V8. Mostly because of this quote from Jeremy Clarkson: "When you think of V8s you think of American muscle cars that can be mended down with a hammer; When you think of V12s you think of brittle Italian supercars." I think it's just a testament to the V8s reliability.

I really depends on many things. I remember one of my teachers was telling me one time about way back in Ferrari racing history, They had a 3L inline 4 engine, a 3L v12 engine, and their race car.
They used the 4cyl for the shorter twistier tracks because the bigger cylinders allowed for more low down torque which then helped the cars accellerate out of corners better.
They installed the V12 in the tracks with the longer straights where low down torque was not so important. As the cylinders were smaller the engines made power higher up the rev range, which helped them build better speed going flat out for a period of time.

V8's are right in the middle so they were going to be popular anyway :lol:

I really depends on many things. I remember one of my teachers was telling me one time about way back in Ferrari racing history, They had a 3L inline 4 engine, a 3L v12 engine, and their race car.
They used the 4cyl for the shorter twistier tracks because the bigger cylinders allowed for more low down torque which then helped the cars accellerate out of corners better.
They installed the V12 in the tracks with the longer straights where low down torque was not so important. As the cylinders were smaller the engines made power higher up the rev range, which helped them build better speed going flat out for a period of time.

V8's are right in the middle so they were going to be popular anyway :lol:

A car with a big block Ford V8 defeated their 3L V12 250 at Le Mans four years in a row. Not necessarily a compromise.