Gran Turismo 5

So only 170 out of 1000 cars will be full?
It is unknown what exacty they mean by that. Since Polyphony said that only a chunk of the available cars will have damage, they might be referring to that with 170 out of 1000. I think we'll learn more within the next days.

Also, I personally find it a bit bold to criticise that in a game with 1000 cars, only 170 have a cockpit view (given that's what the translation suggests). Take a step back and think about it. A game with 1000 cars? 170 with damage and cockpit view? I call that impressive.

And since GT5 is the first GT with online upgrades, I suppose we'll get more cockpits later.

try this:

August 18, GamesCom, held in Cologne, Germany: Gran Turismo 5 has been announced! Here is the latest information on the game design.

? models included
1,000 vehicles
170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, the interior corresponds to vehicle damage)
830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over to GT5) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before]

? Courses
60 courses confirmed with 20 or more to be revealed

? physical simulation of vehicles
Physics system simulation is brand new
Represented is full fall in vehicles [possibly rollover!]
Damage representation (reproduced in full by real-time collision deformation)
faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla

? Arcade Mode
Single Race
2 player battle

? GT Mode
World Map
My Garage
Car Dealer
Tuning Shop (parts, tires)
Car Washes/Oil Change
Race Championship (Series system, point system)
License Test

? Online
Open Lobby
Text / Voice Chat
Private rooms
Online Photo Album
Online Replay Album
YouTube replay output

? Photo Mode
Photo Drive (Circuit)
Photo stage (Stage Photo mode only)

? Gran Turismo TV
Video output to a PSP or PSP Go?
Progress Dowload
Improved user interface
Continuous Play

? Museums
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue version, + more information at TGS

? Sound
Custom soundtracks (Use songs from your PS3 hard-drive)
Dolby Digital 5.1 and 7.1

? User Interface
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the same design concept. The icons change color
Able to track the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in three dimensions can be fully manipulated)

The ammount of Engrish in that announcement can lead to misunderstandings. Only 170 cars with interiors??? If GT5 Prologue had 60 cars all of them fully rendrered I don't think it took them 2 years (since GT5 Prologue was released) to render only 110 cars.

It might be what the Interceptor said about only 170 cars having the damage available. Pleas let it be that :( Or we could be in front of what can only be described as the biggest OWNED in the history of racing sims.

it's possible that the interiors can be downloaded later.. one doesn't simply model 1000 interiors in 2 years.

It's all speculation in the end. I think it's best to wait until the news make it to the english version of gran-turismo.com.

Last edited:
Yep, it's a big old case of Wait&See (and then wet ourselves because of the awesomeness, but that's another story for another day...).

faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla

so presumably, i'll be overtaking a car only to find out i run out of juice inmediately after:p

You'd better not use it in a 24 hours race, otherwise you'd spend half the race charging the damn thing (assuming the battery lasts half the race, which it won't :-D).

Here's something for you to chew on:
I friend of mine that knows japanese translated it in italian for me ( i asked to traslate only cars part) and it understood this :
1000 cars (all with cockpit and maybe damage), 170 (with damages also in cockpit) 830 (with cockpit and esterior damage, not damage in cockpit and seen since gt4). the 170 are premium dont' know what stand for maybe pay for it.
Still speculation, but a possible scenario.

Here's something for you to chew on:Still speculation, but a possible scenario.

I hope so. It would be disappointing if 80% of the cars didn't have cockpits, especially after you realize there will be 20+ version of the Skyline, GTR, and NSX which will all be in the fully modelled category, I imagine.

Counting that there is already like 70 cars in Prologue and that there is at least 100 versions of the GT-R, it seems absolutely possible :-D

Heres a video of the damage rendering.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8CQxM_LFo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoblog.com%2F2009%2F08%2F19%2Fvideo-gran-turismo-5-gets-its-damage-rendering-on%2F&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

If you're a big fan of Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo series like we are, you were probably bouncing off the walls when you heard the news that GT5 would finally have damage rendering. We're pretty pumped too, but at the same time we have to ask, what took so long? After all, Forza has had damage rendering since version 2 (Forza 3 is on the way) and damage rendering can already be had on the PS3 in GRID.

With GT5 coming to a store near you at some point in time for this year's holiday season, creator Polyphony is ramping up its marketing blitz to keep our interest piqued. Follow the jump to view actual video proof that shows just how good damage rendering is on GT5. The 1:27 clip features a Subaru STI getting absolutely pummeled by walls and other drivers. We know the driving is bad on purpose in order to demonstrate how destructive GT5's damage rendering is, but we're hoping Kazunori Yamauchi isn't at the controls anyway.

Wow that damage is impressive. Doors flying open and barriers exploding on impact. The Graphics are top notch too. Shame about no Porsche though.

And did anyone ever figure out what the 170 meant? Does this mean just race cars have damage, or just race cars have damageable interiors.

And did anyone ever figure out what the 170 meant? Does this mean just race cars have damage, or just race cars have damageable interiors.
Current take on that is that all 1000 cars will have a cockpit, but only 170 cars will have visible damage. No official confirmation as of yet though.