Random Thoughts....

I'm wondering if I want to apply for a job with the CIA... on one hand it would be awesome to work for the CIA and on the other hand it would suck a bit to live in D.C. Anyone here have experience living in the D.C. metro area?

Edit: kinda freaky that part of the interview is with a polygraph...:blink:

CIA is so 70's. FBI is cooler.

CIA > NSA > FBI

I'm wondering if I want to apply for a job with the CIA... on one hand it would be awesome to work for the CIA and on the other hand it would suck a bit to live in D.C. Anyone here have experience living in the D.C. metro area?

I used to live in the DC-Baltimore metro area. It sucked. On the other hand, I was in MD... try northern Virginia, I have a friend who lives in Alexandria, VA, who's also in the DC area for a government job, and that's a beautiful old city.

EDIT: Alexandria is also quite expensive apparently, or so says wikipedia.

Last edited:

Have you read that CIA history book? If it's even half true, don't do it.

Apply!

They get loads of applications per post available. And even if they offer you a post, if you decide you don't want to live in DC you can say no.

Will you regret not applying if you don't?

I apologize for this post, but I sort of need a let out, and I don't want to start a full-fledged topic about it and annoy the mods. If you don't want to read about death and sadness and whatnot, skip it. If you care, and are willing to read something, then please feel free to read on. I'm just doing this for my own release.

In the hopes of seeing her after 3 long years, and singing songs to her my dad left for India yesterday night to go see his mother. Unfortunately right after he finished work and was ready to come home so that we can take him to LA, we found out that she had passed away.

All day long yesterday I was feeling extremely heavy within my heart. I couldn't point out what it was from. It wasn't hunger, it wasn't the thought of my dad leaving for India, or anything. My dad has always taught me though that if you feel heavy/emotional you should sing. So on the way back home I started singing by myself really loudly (a pitch or 2 higher than normal), and I was singing some of my father's father's favorites and my father's mother's favorites.

Then when I arrived, I got a phone call saying she left the Earth.

I knew then exactly what that heaviness was.

I just can't believe that in her last moments, she somehow channeled me 10,000 miles away and got me to sing her favorite songs before she passed.

After I found out about it, I had to go pick up my dad. I've never driven crazier than that day. Through rush hour traffic I was doing 85 - 90 mph and weaving in and out. I was so driven by sheer frustration, that I had no intention of stopping or slowing down.

I got to my dad's lab and he was there, so distraught and broken.

He'd just lost yet another person.

He's lost his youngest brother through complications during his birth, he lost his father in 1985, he lost his brother in 2003, he lost his best friend 2 weeks ago, and now his mother.

He was so torn apart. I couldn't even bear to see him like that. I just kept my head on his shoulder and patted him on the back. What else can a son do?

He now is in mid-flight, headed to India, and not a moment after he lands in his home town, he needs to conduct the cremation and light the funeral pyre.

I'm just glad that my mother and I got to go this February and see her. I told her, I'm singing on behalf of my father, and I sang for her and told her jokes and kept her happy. When we were about to leave her though, I suddenly got emotional. I'd never gotten emotional before, I always knew I would see her again.

It's just so strange how these things happen.

I'm sitting at work now, after having dropped my dad off at the airport late yesterday morning and having only a couple of hours of sleep. Life has to go on, no matter who you've lost.

Somehow I have to stay strong for my dad and make sure that he knows that we're there for him 300%. He's a very kind, gregarious, and benevolent person with a very tenuous heart. I don't know how he's going to handle all this, but I hope that it all goes well.

I'm just trying to keep myself busy and distracted with work, so that I don't start diving into emotions and whatnot. I don't want to let it all out just yet.

How do you guys cope with death?

Life has to go on, no matter who you've lost.

This.

Sorry to hear your loss. I lost my grandmother completely unexpectedly earlier on in the year. I hadn't seen her for a while, and no-one was expecting anything like it. She died in her sleep.
It may just be the fact that I'm heartless, but it didn't affect me at all until the moment halfway down the Aisle with the coffin on my shoulder. The funeral is the place to let it go, I think.

But as you said, life goes on. Yes you'll miss them, but you have to let them go sometime, and you're better off to let them go sooner rather than later.

We'll be having a family meet up to scatter the ashes later in the year, and I don't know if there are any specific traditions in India, but there are times to remember them in a happy light, and there are times to mourn. But in my view, all the time is not these times.

Reactions: LP

Sorry for your loss :comfort:

I don't actually know how to cope. I lost my fathers father and my fathers mother in 2002 and 2006 (one weeks illness and 3,5 years battle with cancer respectively) and I still feel sad thinking about it, got tears in my eyes just writing this. The thing that helps me is to think about the good times we had, I know it sounds like a clich? but it still helps.

first of all, in moments like this allow me to offer you my most sincere condolences :hug::hug::hug:

as mgkdk, i have no idea how to cope with death. Mostly because i have only lost someone dear to me (grandpa) and i was 6 years old so i didn't quite grasped the feelings of losing a family member.

Through the years i have coped with a unnatural fear of death, yes i know whether i like it or not it IS going to happen to me and everyone around me. Therapy did not take it away, but religion did.

Being a catholic I'm sure there is God who controls the order of things, for now the only thing you can do is stand up straight, and try to cope with it, sometime, somewhere you will all meet up, when and where is up to God.

not being sure what religion you practice (or even if you practice one) i hope this makes sense to you

Again, my utmost condolences, i'm not quite sure if this post will help, i hope it does.

There are 6 fundamentals of grief recovery, which are very important to the grieving process. Most people try to avoid them not knowing that they are delaying their healing and advancement to the future.

Tears

Tears are part of the healing process so do allow yourself to cry as much as you want. Let the tears flow and cleanse yourself of all the emotional burden that come with grief. If you are unable to cry in public, find a safe place like your home or a support outreach center or in your car. Call someone on the phone that will listen to your pain and validate your tears. It's so amazing the amount of tears that we utilize during grief. We can cry for simple things, so be sure to drink more water because tears tend to dehydrate you.

Talk

I cannot say this enough. Talk as much as you can about your memories of your loved one; especially the good ones. Seek out the people who will listen to you and understand your grief. A grief support group is a good place to start. Talking helps you to realize the impact and the reality of their death and to accept the fact of the finality of their death. Most people are very uneasy to mention your loved one, but be sure to make it known that you want to talk about your loved one because this is what will help you the most.

Touch

You will miss the hugs, touches, kisses, and affection of your loved one. You will build a wall around you to keep out other people who want to show you affection. You may find hugging to be repulsive and feel guilt for having someone show you kindness through a hug or a kiss on the cheek. Let that barrier down. Accept the kindness that others want to share with you. Allow yourself to be pampered. Don't be on the defensive. You deserve to be hugged and comforted after going through such a loss. If you're all alone without any family, make arrangements with a friend to give you a "healing hug" if you look or feel like you need it. Bereaved children need lots of hugs to reassure them that they are still loved.

Trust

Trust yourself to know that you will recover from your grief. You may begin to question your trust in your spirituality. You will feel anger. You are in a stage of rediscovering yourself and how you will handle the future. You don't have to be alone in the decisions that you have to make, but if you are alone, do trust your instincts and ask for help when you don't know what to do.

Toil

Everyone grieves in different ways. Grieving is hard work. It is like toiling. It takes lots of energy from you. You will feel fatigue, struggle, difficulty, and not motivated to continue with life. You will need to eat healthy, exercise and take good care of your own well-being. Recognize that grief recovery will take effort on your part, but embracing support can help you not to feel like you are toiling so hard.

And the last but not least

Time

We all need time to grieve, but how long it takes depends on the individual. No one can accurately predict how long it will take for grief healing. Your friends and family may anticipate and expect a certain time frame. You may be tempted to set the same expectation that they have for you, but if you try to please others, then your grieving will become unresolved and you will find yourself confused and unable to move on. You will feel anger, guilt or depression if you are not able to finish the grieving process. Take time to grieve for your loved one until you are comfortable.

Every person is different and each makes their own way through the process. I remember a day, one year after my husband passed away, sitting in my car and crying so hard that I could hardly breath.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Sorry for your loss :comfort: Reading about your Grandmother made me really sad.

I don't know how to cope with death. I know that it will come and is around us. When my grandma died I was trying to be strong and remembered good things. It really hurts to see members of our family when they suffer. It's good that you help your dad. I'm sure he knows that you are trying to help him and that you are with him. It must be really sad when you lose people you loved is that short period of time.

Dealing with death is a strange matter. I don't know if the internet is to blame, but I have never really felt sad because of someones death. My uncle died 3 years ago due to a brain hemorrhage. We weren't very close, but I never really mourned. A friend of mine died in the Jokela school shooting, and I didn't feel as sad as I should have afterwards. Maybe I haven't really "realized" that they are gone..? What I do know, is that when my mothers father dies, it's going to hit home hard.

^Least cohesive post ever.

Just keep your spirits up I quess..

First of all, my sincere condolences.
Everyone deals with loss in their own way. What works for you, may not work for you and vice versa. What works for me is just thinking of all the good times I've spent with that person, celebrate their life instead of mourning their death. That does not mean that I do not miss the loved ones that have passed away (I would give almost anything to be able to show my daughter to my grandmother and see how she would enjoy being around my little girl, just as she absolutely enjoyed being around my niece). Loss and sadness are a part of life, even if we do not like it, no life would be complete without it.

Wine tasting is fun.

I apologize for this post, but I sort of need a let out, and I don't want to start a full-fledged topic about it and annoy the mods. If you don't want to read about death and sadness and whatnot, skip it. If you care, and are willing to read something, then please feel free to read on. I'm just doing this for my own release.

In the hopes of seeing her after 3 long years, and singing songs to her my dad left for India yesterday night to go see his mother. Unfortunately right after he finished work and was ready to come home so that we can take him to LA, we found out that she had passed away.

All day long yesterday I was feeling extremely heavy within my heart. I couldn't point out what it was from. It wasn't hunger, it wasn't the thought of my dad leaving for India, or anything. My dad has always taught me though that if you feel heavy/emotional you should sing. So on the way back home I started singing by myself really loudly (a pitch or 2 higher than normal), and I was singing some of my father's father's favorites and my father's mother's favorites.

Then when I arrived, I got a phone call saying she left the Earth.

I knew then exactly what that heaviness was.

I just can't believe that in her last moments, she somehow channeled me 10,000 miles away and got me to sing her favorite songs before she passed.

After I found out about it, I had to go pick up my dad. I've never driven crazier than that day. Through rush hour traffic I was doing 85 - 90 mph and weaving in and out. I was so driven by sheer frustration, that I had no intention of stopping or slowing down.

I got to my dad's lab and he was there, so distraught and broken.

He'd just lost yet another person.

He's lost his youngest brother through complications during his birth, he lost his father in 1985, he lost his brother in 2003, he lost his best friend 2 weeks ago, and now his mother.

He was so torn apart. I couldn't even bear to see him like that. I just kept my head on his shoulder and patted him on the back. What else can a son do?

He now is in mid-flight, headed to India, and not a moment after he lands in his home town, he needs to conduct the cremation and light the funeral pyre.

I'm just glad that my mother and I got to go this February and see her. I told her, I'm singing on behalf of my father, and I sang for her and told her jokes and kept her happy. When we were about to leave her though, I suddenly got emotional. I'd never gotten emotional before, I always knew I would see her again.

It's just so strange how these things happen.

I'm sitting at work now, after having dropped my dad off at the airport late yesterday morning and having only a couple of hours of sleep. Life has to go on, no matter who you've lost.

Somehow I have to stay strong for my dad and make sure that he knows that we're there for him 300%. He's a very kind, gregarious, and benevolent person with a very tenuous heart. I don't know how he's going to handle all this, but I hope that it all goes well.

I'm just trying to keep myself busy and distracted with work, so that I don't start diving into emotions and whatnot. I don't want to let it all out just yet.

Don't be sad. Smile. Have a couple of laughs. You should be remembering all the good moments you've been through before your father's mother passed away. Death is not the end, but the beginning of another journey.

My nanaji fell and had a concussion at the gurdwara a couple years ago. When my mom heard the call, she assumed the worst and screamed for at least an hour and did not sleep for 2 days, and she immediately took leave and booked a flight to India to see him. For some reason, the emotion of what actually happened did not hit me until around 4 or 5 days after the accident. I remembered the memories (limited) that I had. Fortunately, he survived, but parts of his brain had to be removed so he is not able to live by himself.

Advice: It took a little while for the true emotion to set in, but remembering the times our family shared proved to be comforting.

It's hard when the death is sudden and unexpected.

A few years ago my cousin was with friends in Wales, they were out on some wall in the middle of the night, and his friends headed home. The next morning they woke up to his bed being unslept in, went back to the wall, where they found him, having fallen off, with a cracked skull :(

My aunt and uncle then got the knock at the door that every parent dreads.
He was 23 years old.

Family is an anchor of support at times of tragedy, to come together to support each other and celebrate the life of the loved one who's no longer with us.

My brother was pretty close with my cousin when they were younger, there was only a few weeks between them in age. One pretty big regret I have is never getting to know him better, something I wish could happen with my other cousins while I still have the chance. :(

My heart goes out to you and your family, stay strong pet :hug: