Stig sloppy v12 vantage lap

The redline on Aston Martins aren't clearly marked, I remember Clarkson mentioned this on the first DB9 review. Also the tach spins counter clockwise, that might have caused the Stig to miss the redline shift.

I bet its not the same stig. The show stig is not usually so slide happy. i.e. on the V12 Vantage lap. i mean he was sliding all over the place. Just didnt seem like the same level of drving to me. But then again i could be wrong.

Ah well, it wsa still fun to watch.

shifting up so near a corner would have been pointless as any extra speed gained would have been nullified during his too-hot approach in. staying on the limiter keeps speed up and allows you to have a better rythm during the first bit of the hammerhead, where rythm is crucial. also mayhaps he was used to teh v8 instead of the v12. different engine, different rev limit?

Why are we making a deal of this anyway? TG is not a very serious motoring show...now if they were all facts, and boring techncial stuff constantly then i'd care about this stuff... but really... its just for fun!

Also if this is the same driver on every car (and i'm not entirely convinced it is) then you have to consider the fact that he only gets maybe an hour or so in each car? Every car is different in the way it handles and how well the driver gets along with the car. I'm betting if I had an hour to practice running my own 350Z (stock) around their track, I could get it around the track faster than the Stig did back when they tested the Z... simply because I'm more familiar with my car.

Being a good race driver also has a lot to do with knowing the quirks of your car, and learning these things along with getting good "muscle memory" to be quick and accurate with the controls makes a sizable difference.

If you wanted better lap times I suppose it would be best to get an offical manufacture test driver for the specific vehicle, let them run around the track 10 or so times to get a good feel... then start recording lap times.

All i'm getting at is one person can't be perfect with everything, everyone has their specialty areas where they really accell.

And besides, you're not really trying hard enough if you don't hit the rev limiter at least once. ;-)

Last edited:
yeah but the point of the stig is to bring some seriousness (of sorts) from all that cocking about, bring an unquestionable review of the car.

The KTM and 599 laps seem much better than the V12 Vantage lap...Much more composed it seems. The thing that bugs me the most about the Aston lap was how many times he hit the rev limiter before the first corner...he lost some time there no doubt and since when is the Stig so bad at shifting? Then you see all the drifting action and it's clearly not a quick lap...fooling around sounds more like it.

it's a good lap, i mean for an aston martin 1:26? normally they are around 1:30+

also at the end, the stig looks at the camera, that typical the stig. He looks at the camera with "that face" saying, "hehe good one!"

Nice powerslide, i think he earned some nitro points in that one :D

I'm betting if I had an hour to practice running my own 350Z (stock) around their track, I could get it around the track faster than the Stig did back when they tested the Z... simply because I'm more familiar with my car.

I'm betting you couldn't. Just look at how fast all the F1 drivers are, and they only get a couple dozen laps perhaps around the track. Sure it's takes practice to get the very best out of the vehicle, but on such a short track, it's only going to make a couple hundredths of a second difference.

It's been shown before that the lap that is aired is usually comprised of several different laps. I'm guessing it's because they want to show the clips that look and sound the best (ie drifting, redlining). The fastest line is usually the most boring and undramatic line, nobody wants to see that.

i don't think the real problem is drifting, obivosly it's for entertainment sake, but that redlining sir stigs did there, that is not good whichever way you look at it. Probably a rare case of stigflu

i don't think the real problem is drifting, obivosly it's for entertainment sake, but that redlining sir stigs did there, that is not good whichever way you look at it. Probably a rare case of stigflu

As has been stated earlier in this thread, in contrast to the TV show, where Stiggy gets some time to learn to know the car etc, the laps for this magazine feature were "cold laps", i.e. the first lap he did counted. Driving a heap of supercars with different characteristics in a row might confuse even a computer like The Stig.

That slide near the end, phenomenal. He hit the limiter just before doing the slide round the corner, so shifting up would have been pointless. I think.

If he shifted up while sliding, he would car would suddenly loose power and he wouldn't be able to hold the slide and he'd spin out.

If he shifted up while sliding, he would car would suddenly loose power and he wouldn't be able to hold the slide and he'd spin out.

Absolutely true. Shifting up in a powerslide is just bad business. You'll lose power to the rear wheels for a moment which will destroy what little grip you have and your off.

As for the other few rev limiter hits, I'd guess some of them he simply wasn't going to bother with an upshift because he'll be shifting back down in about half a second as he turns into a corner and he wants to keep his hands on the wheel to maintain control as much as possible and the other 1 or 2 maybe he simply wasn't paying attention to the tach.

I'd guess that for TGM Stig doesn't spend all day trying to learn the car like he probably does when they're doing timed laps for telly. Especially when they've got so many cars to get through.

Or I'm talking rubbish and it simply wasn't the normal stig under the helmet that day, but some other bloke who fit the racing suit.

KTM X-bow + 911 GT3 = 1'21ish

V12 Vantage = 1'26ish

So it costs almost 2x more than a GT3 but is 5 seconds slower? :lol::rofl::lmao::roflmao:

Last edited:
it has more style.. and the sound of a v12 rumbling..

Agreed. X bow isn't a proper car so it's not in the same league. And the GT3 is so ugly I'd rather have a 2nd hand aston for the same price.