Canned. Now what?

I remember seeing a photo of the supposed TG America set and I saw an orange Gallardo Superleggera which excited me. I think that they should just sync BBC and BBCA so that people in America can watch the British Top Gear.

ummm...ever heard of BBC America? check the listings. :wall:

I remember seeing a photo of the supposed TG America set and I saw an orange Gallardo Superleggera which excited me. I think that they should just sync BBC and BBCA so that people in America can watch the British Top Gear.

Quoted for truth.

I have been thinking about this for a while and it has become a daily discussion at work.

While it is next to impossible to get a US network to pick up the series how about a web version, sure you couldn't go to the expense like the BBC, but it's easy enough to 3-4 HD cameras on a car, do a review, edit then post it on a torrent site, now at least to start there is no way TG would endorse it, but get enough downloads and who knows.

Any thoughs ?

Dude, check your facts. open your eyes. Speed hasnt become what ESPN has and that is the Yankees, Red Sox's, Manny Ramerez's, NFL's and the NBA's official drama reporting network. oh, i forgot to mention the shows i DONT watch on ESPN like Yankeecenter...i mean Jetercenter...i mean AnNFL/NBAplayergotarrestedandwearegoingtoruinthiercareerbypushingitonyoutillyouhateitwhilewedontshowanyhighlightsoftonightsgamescenter...i mean Sportscenter.

ESPN has sports? I thought it was just billiards and poker. :dunno:

More like three months. Even then the episodes are heavily edited.

Yeah, they usually cut out the news almost entirely most of the time and some good shots of the specials. Like when they did the Lorry driving when Hammond kept dropping his trailer, never saw that part until I torrented the whole season 12 and looked back.

top gear s13e6

Im convinced that if its not on streetfire then it'll be on youtube in parts. The TGUSA pilot should be released on itunes or leaked, i agree. How can they make the decision to can the series when the pilot hasnt been aired for TG fans "who get it" to decide whether or not we want a TGUSA. /rant

I thought HBO was the next one to pass or have a go at it

HBO or Showtime would be the best chance for Top Gear America. They got no advertisers, so the hosts could say whatever they want about the cars (like the British version). Add some purposeful occasional nudity (LOL) and raw language. Then once its a success, HBO or Showtime could syndicate an edited version (like sex and the city).

it's easy enough to 3-4 HD cameras on a car, do a review, edit then post it on a torrent site, now at least to start there is no way TG would endorse it, but get enough downloads and who knows.

Any thoughs ?

That's been done... sort of. ;)

i don't even want to imagine NBC's version of Top Gear, please no :yawn:

I don't understand why everyone automatically hates a show they have never seen. If they let it out and it is terrible, fine. But what if it is good? Wouldn't another good show be great?

Top Gear America on Showtime with some yearly specials aired on their parent network, CBS. Kind of like what they tried to do with EliteXC MMA a while back.

Adam Corolla isn't even funny, it's probably why they "canned" it. :lol:

I can't imagine the show won't eventually be picked up in the states. Especially considering the massive success of other originally British shows in the US. The office and american idol being examples. Regardless, it wont be for several years until the economy is out of the crapper. As for NBC, they definitely aren't known for their great programming choices since the end of Seinfeld. The ideal would be for HBO or Showtime to pick it up, that would give the producers a degree of latitude not possible on network stations in the US where the actors would no doubt be muzzled to a great degree.

Last edited:
The ideal would be for HBO or Showtime to pick it up, that would give the producers a degree of latitude not possible on network stations in the US where the actors would no doubt be muzzled to a great degree.

I agree that most people are critiquing a show they've never seen, seems absurd. Again, I don't think we'll know the quality of the show until we actually see the pilot, so a nod or a shake is pointless.

As for HBO and Showtime, I think that'd be great to have it picked up with a zero boundaries channel. The only problem would be to convince HBO and Showtime to pick something up like this. Doesn't seem to be a place for the gear-head niche judging from their past shows. Again, would be awesome though, they could say anything they wanted about cars.

A travesty of all that is good and just.

A travesty of all that is good and just.

America is THE DEFINITION of a car culture, yet a top-rated--in fact, the HIGHEST-rated--CAR SHOW doesn't cut it? What the HELL is the matter with this country??

I am actually quite appalled.

But then I shouldn't be so ****ing surprised; US television networks are apparently now so devoid of writing talent and original thought that they must scrounge for BBC leftovers and try to homogenize and predigest them for tepid American wits.

Sometimes I really hate this place.

What's maybe saddest of all is that Top Gear isn't even a car show! It's a bunch of machine-loving clowns trying to beat each other. What wouldn't America LOVE about that??

Yeah, I know I know: The humour is lost on Americans mentality. Bunch of undereducated nitwits who don't get what's funny or entertaining (try playing them an episode of Blackadder; blank stares).

America might have won its independence in 1776, but somewhere since then it lost a whole lot more. Too, too bad.

BBC torrents, here I come.

America is THE DEFINITION of a car culture, yet a top-rated--in fact, the HIGHEST-rated--CAR SHOW doesn't cut it? What the HELL is the matter with this country??

... Orange Fizz. Have you actually watched anything ABC, NBC, or CBS have put on US Airwaves in the past 3 years?
But then I shouldn't be so ****ing surprised; US television networks are apparently now so devoid of writing talent and original thought that they must scrounge for BBC leftovers and try to homogenize and predigest them for tepid American wits.
Looks like ya have. Words like pap, junk, trash, manure, political bias, and liars comes to mind. The reason the highest rated car-show ever, and it's Australian spin-off, work because they aren't saddled with ludicrous limitations by their producers and publishers. The good news is, the ad-revenues of NBC, CBS, and ABC have been plummeting, with NBC posting a 52% plummet earlier this year. So, hopefully, if those broadcasters lose enough money, they might actually put two and two together and realize why.