Food! [The thread that started this section]

^ Ah, I should give it a try some day.

Lunch;
3792095272_cf2d1d5e2d_b.jpg

^ I love omelets that are so large that they are the size of the pan in which they were cooked, you have done an excellent job of this.

^ Thanks. <3

Next time I'm gonna add some spring onions and peppers, just the ham was a bit bland.

^ Is I in heaven?

* Derek knows what he'll be having for lunch tomorrow.

I baked today... pumpkin, white chocolate, and pecan cookies and pumpkin/apple muffins.

IMG_0163-1.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

Mhhh, I love when there are schnitzels left over from lunch! Time for schnitzel-sandwiches! :drool:

090823DSC00771.jpg

090823DSC00772.jpg

Proper bread doesn't work that well for sandwiches IMO, but that's about the only time I'll eat toast.

Well, durrr. :p You're talking to a German! Br?tchen are the perfect form of bread, but they get stale after one day already, and there weren't any in the house to begin with.

I made Dutch style hearty (? damn dictionary - with meat and stuff, not fruit and sugar!) Pancakes last weekend ... or as the crazy people on the other side of the border call them ... Pannekoeken.

In the making ... (I guess I don?t have to explain what?s on it ... it?s rather clear to see, isn?t it?)

http://img229.imageshack.**/img229/4668/panne1.jpg

... and moments before dissapearing ...

http://img207.imageshack.**/img207/566/panne2.jpg

I'm going to attempt my first curry this weekend. Any tips from those with Indian heritage? I will be making a Beef Madras which cracks me up.:lol:

Forgot to post my curry picture...it turned out pretty good and I will defiantly be cooking more curries in the future because I am hooked on the spice.

Beef before cooking: Thinly sliced sirloin, chili, garlic, ginger,and assorted spices.
P1010107.jpg

Curry gravy during simmering: Tomatoes, chilies, peppers, onions, garlic, and assorted spices.
P1010109.jpg

Basmati rice during cooking: rice, onions, vegetable stock, and spices
P1010110.jpg

Completed project: Beef Madras.
P1010112.jpg

Beef curry seems so... wrong. :lol:

I'm curious - why did you add the rice to the curry as it was cooking? I usually cook the rice separately and then serve the curry over it.

Looks good, though.

Well, durrr. :p You're talking to a German! Br?tchen are the perfect form of bread, but they get stale after one day already, and there weren't any in the house to begin with.

Don't take it personally but looking at your age it is relatively safe for me to say that you never tasted a real good Br?tchen in your whole life, because they simply have become extinct.

When I grew up in the 60's and 70's, a Br?tchen was stale after 3 hours! The reason they last a day or more these days, before they get hard as a rock, are chemical preservatives.

Today's Br?tchen are tasteless pieces of nothingness, with a brown crust baked around it and a couple of grains sprinkled upon them. And they often taste like cardboard.

Bakermen these days have become too lazy for their job. They don't wanna get up at 4 o'clock in the morning anymore to prepare and bake the bread in handiwork. Instead they use instant mixtures and pre-fabricated pieces.

Most bakeries today are chains. They get the ready formed pieces delivered in a truck several times a day from a central "processing location". The shop assistants put them into an oven for the public to see in order to create a false image of quality and freshness and set the timer. That's it. That's why you can get "fresh" Br?tchen even in the evenings today, while in former times fresh Br?tchen were only available in the morning.

There are studies in Germany, which prove that the pre-packed, sliced bread you can buy in supermarkets, is actually healthier than the stuff from your bakery around the corner, because it contains less chemicals.

However, you might be lucky to find an old, traditional bakery somewhere hidden in a backstreet, only known to enthusiasts who keep them alive. So if you look for one, check out the following two indicators:

1. A good bakery doesn't smell of fresh bread -- that's for a big part artificial odors anyway. Those ready-to-bake pieces are designed to smell better, than they taste. A good bakery, however, smells of yeast. If you don't know how yeast smells, well... there are some things you have to learn on your own ;)

2. A good bakery doesn't have all those fancy sorts of breads and Br?tchen, because one bakery alone is massively overcharged with making all of them by hand.

There are some bakermen who joined the "slow food" movement but many of them just put the sticker on their doors and that's that.

It's naive to hope for the good old times to return, because young people today don't want to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning and reject a social life in order to prepare proper bread for the customer anymore. So unless you find some hardcore idealist somewhere, the good old Br?tchen times are over and have been so for more than 20 years.

Last edited:
Beef curry seems so... wrong. :lol:

I'm curious - why did you add the rice to the curry as it was cooking? I usually cook the rice separately and then serve the curry over it.

Looks good, though.

Yeah I thought the same thing about beef curry:lol:. And the rice did cook separately, I have two woks.