Design student pens Aston Martin Volare concept, complete with AWD and hydrogen fuel

Xeonidas

While driving the Aston Martin V12 Vantage, Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson lamented that with tightening environmental regulations, this may be as good as it ever gets. If he's right, Aston's going to have to look elsewhere for fresh ideas on how to bring the high-performance GT into the green age, and they might want to have a chat with James Trim. The 23-year-old designer penned this concept car, called the Aston Martin Volare, as his latest project. And needless to say, it looks fantastic.

Blending the aggressive lines of the One-77 with the taut stance of the Vantage, the Volare has a smooth design all its own. But it's what's underneath that could be the most important: electric motors driving all four wheels and supplied by a hydrogen fuel cell stack. Trim's portfolio also includes some convincing Audi, BMW and Jaguar designs, but the Aston could be his most convincing yet.
03-amvolare.jpg

08-amvolare.jpg

volare04.jpg

It looks like what I imagine an Aston in Back To The Future would have looked like.

Brown. You can design a car in any color and it is BROWN. Why do you do that.

Brown. You can design a car in any color and it is BROWN. Why do you do that.

It's not brown. It's "bronze".

:p:p:p

ok, let's be serious. I think what's good in this car is what is already on Aston Martins today. What the student put is quite ugly. I feel the roof as too low, the side windows as too narrow, and I am now sure that mega-big-hyper wheels, while good at the drawing table, are horrible in real life.

I like how it's nothing more than a CG design of a body and wheels, yet it can get billed as "AWD and hydrogen powered" when it's got none of it!

Not bad looking, I'm with Dogbert though, looks like somethign I'd have expected to see in Back to the Future.

It looks more like a Fisker enviro-turd than any proper Aston

and if all the new environmental regulations and shit is what made Clarkson sad, then why the hell would something like this ever make him happy? the prospect of a future of cars like this, I think, is exactly what made Clarkson sad in that review, and if this is really whats coming, it does for me too

A proper Aston needs to be accompanied by the howling, rumbling symphony that can only be played by a large displacement twelve cylender internal combustion orchestra

not some whiny little electric motors

and thats the beginning and the end of it

I find that a bit.. I don't know.. obvious.

And how can it have "electric motors driving all four wheels" and be "supplied by a hydrogen fuel cell stack"? It's just a block of some material.

Oh I see what he did there...it's just a baby One-77.

Ok.....so he says its powered by all this. All he did was a drawing. That equates to me doing a random drawing of a car and saying it runs on smiles and giggles. Doesn't mean anything.

don't know what all your problem is, it's a concept, it's not meant to drive down the road, it's meant to be talked about. and judgein by your reactions, they did a great job.

i think it looks pretty nice for a conceptcar

Right. So he designs a car, and comes up with an Aston that looks bad and makes no noise. He should have badged it a Hyundai.

The AWD and Hydrogen crap is just thrown in there for publicity. It's a shell! You can pretend it has whatever you want.

Looking at the proportions, it also seems as though a design student has designed a car that would be undrivable in the real world. It always bugs me how these design students seem to forget that cars need to fit people in them, and they need to see out of the car.

IT'S BLIND!

AND BROWN!!!

It looks like one of the crappy cars that I modded my GTA San Andreas with. The people that design those cars never get wheel to body proportions quite right.