The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Sorry about the crash, glad you're alright though.

I would recommend the courses; it's always good to learn riding technique.

Getting my dad's ducati back from smash repairs tomorrow! Now he'll be able to show up Mr. Bonneville.... :evil:

That and I may get to pillion again, man it's fun :D

My dad recently bought yet another bike. A KTM 200EXC (back of the picture). He already owns the blue Yamaha WR450F (in the middle) and a Triumph Daytona 955i.
fcdd121f.jpg

He let me enter a 2 day enduro event on the yamaha :). I came joint last on both days, but it was a bit silly entering with almost no riding experience. I really enjoyed it and on the open gravel roads i hit 65mph at one point :mrgreen:.

I see that WR has a headlamp... street legal?
If so: WANT! :drool:
If not: still want! :D

The more I think about it the more I am starting to believe my first vehicle once I have an apartment is going to be a bike.

I'm being poisoned.

The more I think about it the more I am starting to believe my first vehicle once I have an apartment is going to be a bike.

I'm being poisoned about to buy the best way to get around and have fun at the same time.

:D

I'm being poisoned about to reach enlightenment.

FTFY.

I've just booked a ferry for a trip to the Channel Islands for a few days. I leave at midnight tonight. It is about 350 miles down to the port so a good test for my wiring, Sat Nav and helmet.

Eh, dunno much about offroad riding - although I'd love to get into it! (There's another course worth thinking about...)
But I'd really love a bike like that for tarmac riding. Mind, you I've never actually tried something like that WR, so maybe if I did I'd actually hate it... the idea's appealing though! :lol:

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/08/27/bmw_s_1000_rr_06.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/08/27/bmw_s_1000_rr_21_opt.jpg

Personally, my feelings tend towards nausea. I honestly think that this is one of the worst looking bikes I've ever seen. My first thoughts were "pre-crashed for your convenience." It looks like it was styled and then hit with an axe several times.

^... I think BMW has taken their oO styled headlight theme a bit too far this time....

Edit: Autoblog:
Surely the most controversial element of the bike's otherwise conventional styling will be the asymmetrical headlights, which are the only immediately noticeable link to the rest of BMW's motorcycle lineup
Otherwise conventional? Although i have seen worse.

Also, dad's got the Ducati back!!! Although he doesn't want to ride it much anymore, he's a bit scared of it.... I was hoping he'd be more enthusiastic and be more confoident, tbh. But hey, he'll love it again soon. :)

Double edit: ok, my parents hate all bikes/scooters made in China, because most suppliers around here avoid them like the plague due to reliability issues they have had. However, they are more than happy to get me a Sachs/Megelli (which are made in Taiwan/China) motorbike for my 18th birthday. Personally, I'm going to wait and get a Honda VTR250 2010 model, because they have a better rep, overall look (kinda like my dad's Duke) and build quality imo. Now, is there anything wrong with Chinese-made bikes? And the ones they are looking at (once again, double standard on their part, they refuse to spend less than 5 grand on themselves) are about $2100 AUD. Should I be making them stop looking?

Last edited:
It looks horrible.
The "assymetrical headlights" theme didn?t worked in the naked bikes and it gets even worse in this one.

I love all the FTFYs I got for my post.

Just randomly, what are good starter bikes, and how much could I expect to pay for one?

Just randomly, what are good starter bikes, and how much could I expect to pay for one?

Honda and Yamaha singles and twins from 1960-90 are usually simple, reliable, and easy to fix. They're also quite nice to ride- I don't know if the YBR125 is sold in the US, but mine is a great bike, easy to ride and fix. If you want more power Honda twins or fours are probably the best.

Anything under 500cc is generally a good rule of thumb. Kawasaki Ninja 250s are dirt cheap, readily available, easy to wrench on and great beginner bikes.

2005-Kawasaki-Ninja250Rb.jpg

Of course, if you want something cool, you could get a 1970s Honda:

014_40pct.jpg

index.php

3857279067_21928bafbf_o.jpg

3676549289_7366133cb0.jpg

;)

Of course, don't ride like this. Wear gear, don't lock your elbows, and support your body with your core muscles instead of leaning on the bars.

Of course, don't ride like this. Wear gear, don't lock your elbows, and support your body with your core muscles instead of leaning on the bars.

What he said.
Damn I want a CB400four :(

Somewhere upthread is a list of sample starter bikes that would be good. :D You can expect to pay as little as a buck-a-cc and as much as $3-4K.